Egnater TOL 100

youngmic

Inspired
I want to take a shot at tone matching my pre-Rocktron TOL 100. Would anyone happen to know the 4 amp models that most closely approximate the 4 channels on this amp, including tone stack config, etc.?

Thanks,
Mike

I think the harder of the 4 channels are 1 and 2. The clean and mid gain American voiced channels seem fairly unique. I can't seem to find something close to the way channel 2 breaks up. The Friedman models seem pretty close to 3 and 4.

I played through the Egnater for quite a while this afternoon. I know what people mean when they talk about the difference between FRFR and a cab "in the room". I've got a 1500 watt EAW monitor. It's a beast - transparent and headroom for miles. But that Egnater head with the THD 2X12 eats it for breakfast.

The thing is, I know that it doesn't sound the same in a mix through a house system, but it sure is fun.

There have been some recent posts about being frustrated with the Axe Fx. I confess I do get that way as well. But it's not the unit itself. I think it's about trying to obtain something illusive, if not downright non-existent.

Anyway...if anyone has some thoughts on a good starting point for tone matching channels 1 and 2 I'd appreciate it.

Hmm...not a peep.

Cliff, when you get back, I'd love to hear your take on this amp. I may be missing something (probably am), but it seems like this head, especially Channels 1 and 2, may be unique enough to model. I know I'm having a heck of a time finding a model that's close. I don't know how to characterize these channels other than to say they are very thick and tight. All the "American" models seem thin in comparison. Not a bad tone if you're looking for that vibe, but it doesn't really feel like the Egnater. I also don't know how much the THD cab plays into this vibe since I haven't played through other cabs (I only own one).

The Boogies sometimes approach the feel. The Lonestar comes closest in some ways. But there's something in the low-end breakup that strays far from it. That's the thing. The whole amp feels very tight.

It's definitely more an American voice than a British voice, but it has a character all it's own. Something in the way it breaks up. Very smooth, plenty of natural compression and sustain, strong mid character, tight low end, less bark but just enough to cut through.

IF CLiFF wants the Bradshaw Rig Fans to buy Axe FX-II he must take this Challenge. Diezel etc isnt where all the money lies. TC1210, Dyno My Piano, Lexicon PCM70, Egnater, Cae etc user have the money to buy axe fx-2 and mfc-101 on the second..

IF CLiFF wants the Bradshaw Rig Fans to buy Axe FX-II he must take this Challenge. Diezel etc isnt where all the money lies. TC1210, Dyno My Piano, Lexicon PCM70, Egnater, Cae etc user have the money to buy axe fx-2 and mfc-101 on the second..

Ironically, I'm never owned any this equipment other than the Egnater and I wouldn't consider myself a heavy metal player. Probably speaks to the versatility of the TOL 100. :)

Just briefly.... I sold my CAE Rack to buy the Ultra.

CAE 3+se
TC1210
TC G-force
VHT power amp
Mesa Power amp
2 x Bogner Cubes
1 x Marshall 4 x 12 stereo cab

Moved from Ultra with Power amp to Axefx2 wit QSC FFRR....

The sounds and feel are there in bucket loads..

FWIW...

Back
Top Bottom