Efficient routing for U2 shimmer effect with Chrystal delay

This is my first post in the forum. I've been frustrated by high latency in my computer-based rig and I'm all but decided on the Axe FX Ultra as a replacement/upgrade.

With my Computer rig I was able to create a shimmer sound with a long series of plugins in Logic/Mainstage 2 by using reverbs followed by pitch shifted grain delays (12 and 24 steps up), eq, compressor, rotary cabinet, etc. Creating a very smooth and dense shimmer sound required a tremendous amount of CPU and about 12 plugins.

I'm curious if anyone has some suggestions or reassuring information about the Axe FX Ultra's capability to efficiently create a shimmer sound. If you have created one, how many effect blocks are required?

I'm convinced that the Axe FX Ultra is the next best piece of gear behind an Eventide Harmonizer. I'm just concerned about efficiency because I want to use most of my effects for a parallel signal path through two amps, two cabs, delay etc.

Also, can anyone advise me on an alternate solution that uses the effects loop? I am considering using the Chrystal delay followed by the effect loop with a Line 6 Verbzilla/ Berhinger RV 600, then back into the Axe FX.

I'd do some experimentation on my own, but I don't own an Axe FX yet. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

hi.

the shimmer effect is all over the place, search for the presets - it's been done plenty of times.

Eventide - uh, I dunno. I find the Axe to be superior in many ways.

L6 Verb in the loop - sorry to be so blunt, but are you nuts? ;) The Axe's Verb is excellent and in a completely different league.

Why not recreate your fx chain you had in the PC step by step in the Axe? If in doubt, you can always use AxeEdit to give you an approximation of how much CPU power a patch needs.There's also a great post about how much % of the CPU any block uses.
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...-ultra-10-03-computed-axe-edit-0-9-191-a.html

Thanks for the input. Yes, I know, to utter "Line 6" in the same sentence as Axe FX is heresy. Before using my DAW to create a shimmer effect I used the L6 Verbzilla "Octo" setting 100% wet into a Lexicon MPX100 ≈ 50% wet delay and reverb into a Rane 31 band graphic eq into a line mixer to blend with my main guitar.

I have looked for posts on the shimmer effect and I've watched probably every Axe FX shimmer video on youtube that I could find. As I said, I have no concerns about how well the Axe FX can create that sound, but I'm just curious how many effect blocks are required.

Here is a hypothetical routing that I made. Since I don't have an Axe FX yet, I can't test this, but I wanted to see if it were possible to route all of this without overloading the CPU/DSP. From the chart that you linked, I think that the Axe Edit overestimates the CPU/DSP, so the 102% in my routing may be more like 99% in practice. Am I deluding myself?

Axe FX routing plan.jpg

Here is the channel strip that I used to create the shimmer in my DAW. I was thinking about it and it occurred to me that the redundant christalizer (pitch shifted delays) plugins wouldn't be necessary with the feedback option in the Axe FX. Is that correct With the feedback loop the wouldn't the signal continue to be pitch shifted up 1 and 2 octaves until the low pass filter cut it off?

DAW Shimmer.jpg

Back
Top Bottom