Effects to supplement your AxeFX 3?

I’ve got an AxeFX 3 mk2 on it’s way and I was just wondering if the consensus is that the effects are all top notch and nothing else is needed, or are their some weaknesses that could be patched up with a pedal. For instance, sometimes modeled fuzz isn’t the greatest, or the tape delays don’t sound as good as something like a Volante. All I have at the moment is a Blackstar HT-5 Dual tube drive, which I like a lot.

For guitar tone only, I've always thought the former, unless we're talking about very specific applications in post-production. (For instance, if I apply excitation or saturation to guitars, I never do it in the Axe FX, I use Ozone or Waves instead, I just find them more usable. Same with manipulation of the stereo image of double-tracked guitars, multiband compression, etc.)

I've never felt the need to add anything.

There may be some very particular pedals that you find you can't replicate (e.g. some people will use an outboard Digitech Freqout pedal), but on the whole the effects are top-notch. If it's modelled in the Axe-Fx, chances are you'll be very happy with the quality of any particular effect.

If you're used to running a fuzz pedal as the first part of your signal chain, AND use your volume knob to clean up the fuzz, then you may want to keep your fuzz pedal. But it sounds like you've just got the Blackstar HT-5, so not a concern for you.

I suspect you will be very, very happy with the sounds you can get from the Axe-FX 3. Have fun!

That's one of the great things about the axeFX3. It's an expensive unit, but unless you have very specific needs you are good to go.
Personally I only have 2 very old pedals left. I don't use them, and I keep them only for sentimental reasons :)

I just sold everything. All effects are better than the best. I did buy a midi controller (voes). With more buttons than the fc12 because I love to have a kind of an old school pedalboard too. I want to turn on phaser, flanger, rotary, whatever whenever I feel like. I just put those effects in every preset so they are there when I want them. I couldn’t be more content. For me it is the way to get the max out of the axe.

I currently have a Dwarfcraft Great Destroyer in my AFX's loop. It's a niche effect that may have some convoluted way to replicate, but I don't see why it'd be worth the bother instead of just keeping it.

I'll also always keep my digitech whammy, in case I ever feel that I need the truest form of the effect.

The only effect I was concerned about was my Ibanez CS-9 purple chorus pedal. I set it up A/B and tweaked the AFX until I couldn't tell the difference. No more pedal. Having everything in one “box” keeps setup/breakdown/troubleshooting times to a minimum.

I have some real nice Drive pedals & compressor in front of the Axe-FX3 that I hardly ever use.
Everythings in the box.

I ended up selling all my effects shortly after getting the Axe and realizing I would never use them. I'm 100% happy with what's in the box. The only thing I added was a couple expression pedals for wah, vol, and whammy purposes.
I do need some expression pedals. I’ve got a Mission and an old Yamaha and I’m not thrilled with either of them.

Don't really need any. It's all in the box. Still, I use an MXR EQ and a Strymon Sunset, for on-the-fly EQ and Drive tweaks.

The only two things I haven’t been able to successfully replicate to do the exact same thing in the AxeFX; a Digitech Freqout and a Talk Box. I don’t want close impersonations of them, I want to be able to use them to their fullest extent, like saying obnoxious things with the Talk Box. Ya can’t program it to say a string of foul, offensive words. :D

Back
Top Bottom