Effects Question

deakle

Experienced
Please pardon my ignorance on this subject. I have noticed several presets where effects are placed in parallel with one another (such as delays). What is the purpose of this and what is the difference in placing effects in parallel or in series? I am an old guy and we did not have near the possibilities with pedals that the Axe III offers.

One advantage of placing effects in parallel is the ability to pan them independently of the dry source. So, for example, the unaffected signal could be panned to the center while a delay is panned to the right and a reverb panned to the left.

In series, the signal flows from one block into the next, so the effects build on top of all the previous effects. In parallel, they are fed separately from the same source and each block's separate output is then mixed together.

Like Jason said, parallel gives you more routing options and can provide for more separation of effects elements.

For example. If you don’t want reverb in your delays, you can put the reverb block and the delay block in parallell rather than in series

Another benefit is easier mixing. If you run all the parallel effects and the dry signal into a mixing block, you can adjust all the levels in the mixing block, rather than having to go in and out of all the individual blocks to set mix levels.

Parallel processing is used a lot during mixing in the studio as well.
For instance; using an auxiliary track with say a compressor on it, busing a drum group to it (kick, snare and/or whatever) and mixing the aux back into main mix.

This is not a new concept, it's been used for years.
In series changes the original tone, Parallel enhances, but does not change the original tone.

Last edited:
Parallel processing is used a lot during mixing in the studio as well.
For instance; using an auxiliary track with say a compressor on it, busing a drum group to it (kick, snare and/or whatever) and mixing the aux back into main mix.

This is not a new concept, it's been used for years.
In series changes the original tone, Parallel enhances, but does not change the original tone.
Thanks! Very helpful as I am starting to try my hand at home recording with Logic Pro X. Any suggestions on good on line resources for learning the basics of home recording?

Back
Top Bottom