effects presets - do they exist?

Conley Shepherd

Experienced
trying to figure this out and not really seeing it.

I use Waves plugins for recording and a lot of the plugins have presets for the fx where they are preconfigured. All you have to do is select a preset for the fx and load it. This helps get close to a sound you are looking for and minor tweaks can be made after that.

Does Axe-Edit have that option and does the AF3 have that ability?

I think I understand you, Conley. Waves, IK, NI and other software houses offer pull-down menus of preset 'styles' (for want of a better word) of generic effect types. One of their Chorus algorithms, for example, might have things such as Police, Leslie, Vibrato, Shoegazer settings ready to go in a pull-down contextual menu. Fractal Audio offers something a level above - actual models (often) of what those dial-ups of generic effects might be. But to directly answer your question: No. However, many FAS users do try to emulate specific and often niche effects and many (generously) upload those emulation attempts. You can check some of these out by visiting threads such as https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/the-mother-of-all-pedal-and-effects-emulations-thread.34464/. I'm sure there are more as well.

I don’t understand it. Aren’t the “types” in the effect blocks exactly what you are asking for? Like the “Script 45” in the Phaser block?

When you buy a pedal it doesn’t really come with presets, it has a number of knobs and you adjust those knobs to where you like the sound.

I don’t think “presets” really work because who is to say what the correct speed, depth etc is for a given pedal?

Is a univibe with a slow rate and high depth better than a faster rate and shallow depth? Of course not, they are just different settings on the pedal.

The whole reason pedals have knobs is becasue they are supposed to be adjusted after all

The effects types in the Axe march pretty well to specific types of effects, vibe, phase90, ce2 analog chorus, tri chorus, dimension D, etc etc, but you still have to adjust the knobs to taste, again like the real pedal, if you bought one and pulled it out of the box.

Yes, in S-Gear for example you can save presets of Delay, Chorus or Reverb you build and then can reuse. In the Axe Fx you can achieve it via blocks, equally easily.

I don’t understand it. Aren’t the “types” in the effect blocks exactly what you are asking for? Like the “Script 45” in the Phaser block?
No, as explained above, although he type is important, I
am looking for tweaks. I have an ambient patch that I would like to save as a preset for the delays and add them to other patches I have. Right now, I would have to note down all settings, or save the block if that will work, and put in the desired patch.

You can save your blocks into a library calling them what you need.to in order to recall. Then import into your template from your library. That might work for You?

Delay - U2, or Phaser- VH. Stuff like this?

Saving blocks into your library is essentially storing the 'presets' you're talking about.

The difference in the context of what you're asking is, you have to either build the preset yourself and/or download someone else's full preset and save specific blocks from it to the library instead of having 'built in' (often produced by professionals) presets within a program.

You can save your blocks into a library calling them what you need.to in order to recall. Then import into your template from your library. That might work for You?

Delay - U2, or Phaser- VH. Stuff like this?
This is what I have been doing. It makes setting up new presets a bit easier.

trying to figure this out and not really seeing it.

I use Waves plugins for recording and a lot of the plugins have presets for the fx where they are preconfigured. All you have to do is select a preset for the fx and load it. This helps get close to a sound you are looking for and minor tweaks can be made after that.

Does Axe-Edit have that option and does the AF3 have that ability?
There are no fractal effects presets, only default setting when you pull up an effect. There is user presets that are saved as Library blocks or Global Blocks. If you pull presets from Axe Exchange and you like a certain effect, select that block in Axe Edit, left click block library down arrow, select save, and this puts it on your computer. Then select the block tab at the top of Axe Edit, scroll down until you see library then recall. All the effect and amp blocks are stored there that you have saved. The Axe 3 does have user saved effects stored in blocks in library under recall.

Another way to help is I generally have 4 delays for every preset, one for each channel. I set my FC 12 first four switches in the scenes mode to toggle between Scenes and 6 to turn effects off and on, and the other two utility. I can do everything I need without going to another screen. I also have Three expression pedals, One for volume, once for wah, and the other for delay amount. And the last thing is set up perform mode in axe edit thanks to the new update. Before if an effect or amp was wacked, it would take you 3-4 mins to scroll and edit something. Your favorite 20 tweak are at you finger tips. I use both global and perform each having 10 things that you assign to tweak. You don't have time for grief live and need to make changes quickly. I do use one of my switches on my FC 12 to toggle between the four delays in case the scene I select delay time is not happening. For delays I generally do a 40ms, 160ms, 1/4 temp, and Dot 8 Tempo with my expression pedal going from no effect to about 25 percent wet. I generally load a preset down with a ton of effects that I can turn off or on. Fewer presets work better for me. You have to have a tap tempo button and hold for tuner to always zero on all effect. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom