Effects Only - Axe FX worth it?

steve_k

Inspired
Hey guys~

New over here and thought I would pop in. I am not a huge effects user, but am thinking of pulling the trigger on an Axe FX. I don't have any desire for the amp/cab sims, but only to use as an FX processor. I have plenty of midi controllers and what not. Currently, I am running a Diezel VH4 and a Bogner Uberschall, both always on. Got an Elmwood M90 on the way too. Plenty of cabs for all. After spending that much money on prime tube horsepower, replacing it with a digital patch and power amp is not what I am after. But, I am in the market for a rack mount FX processor with some ease of use. FX would be delays, verbs, and basic stuff.

I haven't had time to thumb through the forum here and this is probably answered. Anyway, I would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks,
Steve

The Axe-FX is definitely the all-round winner among today's effects product offerings.
All in all, it offers the best combination of sound, usability, stability, and musicality of any such device I've owned or tried, and that's a LONG list dating back over 25 years.

Hands down, it is the "desert island" hardware effects box of all ages.

The "effects only" use is the only reason many people buy the AxeFx. That was the case with me. I was faced with spending years of searching and thousands of dollars to assemble a new "effects" arsenal or take a chance on the AxeFx as an "all-in-one" effects solution (for less money and hassle).

Once you have the unit for that purpose and see how well it does all of the effects stuff - the choice is a no-brainer for effects. But then once you've got the AxeFx, curiosity takes over and you start to look at the amp and cab sims through decent studio monitors - and you start questioning the sanity of dragging around all the weight of analog gear.

The portability thing, being able to run directly to a PA, is just too convenient to overlook. I'm very picky about my tone and only use a few amp and cab sims. But being able to find more and more varied tones that I could possibly carry as analog gear - in the same unit I have to have for effects only - in a unit that weighs less than 10 lbs - is an obvious win-win for me and many others.

You owe it to yourself to try the unit. If it's not for you, you can always sell it quickly for nearly what you paid. Have a look at the used prices and you'll get an idea of what I mean.

cheers,

Absolutely. You know, I've had a few cheap amps, bunch of boss pedals and a bunch of multi effects before the Axe. I used to think reverb was reverb, chorus was chorus etc. I got the AxeFX to replace my POD and give me a realistic responding and sounding metal sound. Got that, but what I quickly realised was the quality of the effects. My cleans sound so crisp and so full, I now understand that there are "bad" chorus effects, and stellar ones like the Axe. Definitely, if you have a great amp and cab and are happy with it, go for it just for the effects.

SOLD! Think I will go with the Standard though.

Also, I have both a Ground Control Pro and a Bradshaw RS10 for use as Midi controllers. Probably I will opt with the GCP. The GCP is takes a 5 pin Midi out with 1/3 hot for phantom power and the A-FX takes a 7 pin Midi in with 6/7 hot. How to work that out? I assume also, for a 4CM set up through either the VH4 or Elmwood FX loop, that unbalanced 1/4's is all I need?

Thanks,
Steve

steve_k said:

Also, I have both a Ground Control Pro and a Bradshaw RS10 for use as Midi controllers. Probably I will opt with the GCP. The GCP is takes a 5 pin Midi out with 1/3 hot for phantom power and the A-FX takes a 7 pin Midi in with 6/7 hot. How to work that out? I assume also, for a 4CM set up through either the VH4 or Elmwood FX loop, that unbalanced 1/4's is all I need?

Thanks,
Steve

The AxeFx will take a 5 or 7 pin midi. 7-pin is for powering your midi controller but you'd still have to plug in the midi controller's power supply into the AxeFx for it to work. This was set up so that you would have less wire mess on the floor. Since you have a 5-pin midi, you would need to power it the GCP directly.
Unbalanced cables will work fine. I hope this helps. :cool:
As to the original question, the AxeFx does it all and does it really well. :D

Axe FX ordered from the online Yahoo Commerce store. Thanks for the convincing. This is one hell of a forum here. Shit, there is a wealth of knowledge lurking about. I hang out a lot on the Rig Talk site too - same handle. Shhhhh, don't tell Peter Diezel I bought an Axe FX :shock:

Steve

acwild said:
steve_k said:

Thanks,
Steve

The AxeFx will take a 5 or 7 pin midi. 7-pin is for powering your midi controller but you'd still have to plug in the midi controller's power supply into the AxeFx for it to work. This was set up so that you would have less wire mess on the floor. Since you have a 5-pin midi, you would need to power it the GCP directly.
Unbalanced cables will work fine. I hope this helps. :cool:
As to the original question, the AxeFx does it all and does it really well. :D

I will need my GCX Switcher in the rack as well, so I can phantom power the GCP of of it.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom