Effects Loop in III?

henryrobinett

Fractal Fanatic
I know this has got to be very easy now with all of the outputs and inputs variabilities and possibilities. I reamp, or have with the Ultra and II, analog because I record at higher sampling rates, like 96k and above. Obviously the only way of getting this to work is analog. I placed an FXL (Effects Loop) in the next row and it was a clean DI. I'm assuming placing OUT2 does the same thing? Or how do I do this? Axe Fx III doesn't have FXL. I think few people here reamp at rates other than 48k, so everyone pretty much does it with USB?

So I'm just now seeing the wonderful possibilities. I've done some hired sessions where I wanted to play with my effects but the producer wanted me to give him a clean, or less effected signal. So now I can have OUT1 as all the effects and tone I want; OUT2 as clean DI for reamping later, OUT3 - just the amp with NO effects or reverb, and OUT 4 for general partying.

Ah! Manuals are great. I'm glancing through it now. INPUT 5?
  1. "Create a mono track. Name this track something like “Guitar DI”. Set its input to Input 5. This is the DI output of the Axe-Fx III. This will record the signal at the Input 1 Instrument jack with no processing.

ƒ Create a stereo track. Name this track something like “Guitar Reference 1”. Set its inputs to Axe-Fx III Inputs 1+2. This will record the processed guitar signal sent on the grid to the OUT 1 block. "
HM. Not sure this works for me. INPUTs in my DAW are randomly selected. I can make the input 43 and it won't effect what the output of a device or instrument is. Denseness over here. Doesn't this mean OUTPUT 5 is the DI output of the III?

OK. General rant here. The manual needs to address others who do NOT use USB stuck at 48k. And should make it known that it can be done and how to do it. BECAUSE if one CAN'T do it analog for higher sample rates the box is useless to me. I KNOW there are others who are in my same boat. I'm not going to argue NULL TESTS and whether there's a difference. Don't even got there. That's not even the point. For me there is a clear and obvious distinction. The point is this method is not even in the manual forcing one to adopt workarounds.

The input/output blocks can be placed/connected however you want. Output 3 or 4 can be set to echo Input 1 without the need to route for that in the grid.

Yup. If the 48 KHz sample rate doesn't do it for you, you have to go analog. There's more than one way to do that. @Bakerman called out the simplest method above.

There's no need for an FX Loop block when you have completely independent inputs and outputs. You can build your own loops...and what you want to do doesn't involve a loop at all. :)

OK. General rant here. The manual needs to address others who do NOT use USB stuck at 48k. And should make it known that it can be done and how to do it. BECAUSE if one CAN'T do it analog for higher sample rates the box is useless to me. I KNOW there are others who are in my same boat. I'm not going to argue NULL TESTS and whether there's a difference. Don't even got there. That's not even the point. For me there is a clear and obvious distinction. The point is this method is not even in the manual forcing one to adopt workarounds.

Owner's Manual, page 152:

"Output 3 | Copy Input 1
Output 4 | Copy Input 1

Enabling either of these options creates a copy of the Input 1 signal at Output(s) 3 or 4. Use this for the convenience of having an extra copy of the Input 1 signal (for all-analog re-amping, for instance) without the need to insert additional output block(s) on the grid.

This setting works only when the corresponding output block is NOT present on the grid for the current preset! For example, Output 3 | Copy Input 1 will NOT copy Input 1 when the Output 3 block is on the grid."

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom