Effects for Metal Lead

Map488

Hi guys,
I'm rather new to fx8, and struggling to dial in a good effects lineup for a distorted lead setup. Could anyone help me with the reverb block? I gave it a try figuring it out, but it seems I get a hell of alot of feedback from my amp when I click it on. I have a compressor and drive pedal going and those sound find alone. But reverb doesn't quite work...

Any advice would be appreciated!

I play through a schecter hellwin head into a 1960b cab. So that shouldn't affect the outcome of tone. I just can't figure out how to correctly dial in reverb block apparently.

If you post your preset it would help troubleshoot. Without seeing it though, I've noticed the Time parameter needs to be under 1.0 in most higher gain scenarios. You can also try turning down the Early Decay in the Advanced page. If that doesn't help, in the Ducker page increase the Atten parameter. This lets you adjust how much the reverb will affect the signal while you're playing and 'add' the reverb when you've stopped or paused during a passage.

If you post your preset it would help troubleshoot. Without seeing it though, I've noticed the Time parameter needs to be under 1.0 in most higher gain scenarios. You can also try turning down the Early Decay in the Advanced page. If that doesn't help, in the Ducker page increase the Atten parameter. This lets you adjust how much the reverb will affect the signal while you're playing and 'add' the reverb when you've stopped or paused during a passage.

This is the effects lineup I've got going so far. I'm strugging with the noise gate too if you have any suggestions? I'm not used to this FX8 yet. Lots of settings I didn't even know existed :(

Attachments

• MetalLeadEffects(WorkInProgress).syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 14
What configuration are you running, 4 Cable Method, front of the amp or effects loop only? Describe your signal chain.

Looking at your preset, you have all the effects except the gate going into the front of the amp. Running reverb and delay into a high gain amp wilI create the problem you're describing. Place the reverb and delay in your amp's effects loop by selecting '4 Pre / 4 Post' in the CONFIG page of FX8 Edit. If you're editing on the unit itself, PAGE over to CFG and with PRE/POST highlighted, turn the <VALUE> knob so you see '4/4'.

This is the effects lineup I've got going so far. I'm strugging with the noise gate too if you have any suggestions? I'm not used to this FX8 yet. Lots of settings I didn't even know existed :(
What configuration are you running, 4 Cable Method, front of the amp or effects loop only? Describe your signal chain.
Ya, I am setup in the 4CM signal chain. Guitar, goes to fx8, the out goes to the input of the amp head. The send and return go where they are meant to. It's all setup correctly :)

also, I'm working on the 4/4 thing now. Thanks for the recommendation. Will post once I know if it helps!

Hope it helps. What are you struggling with on the gate?
On the gate, i'm strugging primarily with getting it to cut off when I want it. Like half the time when I palm mute, it'll go quite for a second, then it's like it slowly grows a growl or squeal of some sort that just gets louder to a certain point. I'm not 100% sure how to explain the issue there. I literally palm mute, it's silent for a second, and then I touch nothing and squeal grows until I palm mute again, and then the process repeats. No effect when I am playing. only when i stop. or like say I am stopping for part of a song before starting another. I'll get it there too.

I hope I explained that correctly.

You have the Pre gate on as well, didn't know if you needed both. I would suggest turning off the pre in the 'Gate/Out' page in FX8 Edit, turn the Threshold all the way counter-clockwise to -100.0 dB. Placing the reverb in the effects loop should help with some of your problem too. If you know how to make these adjustments I mean no disrespect, just like to give as much instruction possible to eliminate confusion and lengthy discussions.

You have the Pre gate on as well, didn't know if you needed both. I would suggest turning off the pre in the 'Gate/Out' page in FX8 Edit, turn the Threshold all the way counter-clockwise to -100.0 dB. Placing the reverb in the effects loop should help with some of your problem too. If you know how to make these adjustments I mean no disrespect, just like to give as much instruction possible to eliminate confusion and lengthy discussions.
No disrespect taken, I am very new to this pedal and would simply like to get it squared away to a point where I can modify with at least an OK starting point. I figured out the gate in the pre thing. I can't crank up tonight anymore. Apartment complex has quite hours (college campus apartment). So I'll crank it tomorrow and test it out again. Thank you very much for your assistance! Super helpful community here.

souding alot better. It seems I have gotten the noise gate to kick in a little more.
lol meant that comment to be longer, anyways. I got the noise gate to work a little more. but the feedback seems to be sharper now. It cuts off a little quicker. But when it's there, the feedback is incredibly loud. Let me post the signal chain. Maybe there's a "cutoff" type setting i'm missing?

Attachments

• MetalLeadEffects (SlightlyLessWorkInProgress).syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 8
On the new preset the reverb mix is set to 75% and the level is boosted 3 dB. Try backing the mix to @ 30% and bring the level to 0.0. If you need more prominent reverb, set the time to 1.0, reduce the Size to @ 30 and set Echo Density to 4. Checking you other effects, the Compressor is boosted 6.5dB and your Drive level is 8.0.

You're adding a lot of volume with these effects which may be contributing to your issues. I can possibly see the drive set higher since you have the high cut set low but 8.0 still seems a bit high. Using the Studio Comp setting of -40dB is going to add some volume as well so combined with the level of 6.5, it's probably a volume increase of 7.5 to 8 dB.

I don't have a high gain amp to try the patch with so I'm not much help from that standpoint, just making observations of the effect settings. However, using it with a lower gain/edge of breakup amp creates a problem for me getting unity gain using different effects and combinations.

Back
Top Bottom