Effect type here? Good ears please

Billbill

Power User
what the F is this effect type in this short clip? It only lasts for about 4 sec but it is important because it sets the tone for the rest of the song. I'm hearing not a wah but a sort of more like a warble bowbow effect lol. Only about 4 seconds then fades out but I can't seem to replicate it in my patch we use for this tune. Have to listen very close to the chugging of the guitar. A post EQ filter effect? Here's a link hopefully it works

Shyt sorry if this is in the wrong section my bad. Does pertain to axe because it was recorded with one

I'm quite sure it's this song by Deftones:

You might be lucky as they've used Axe FX II's extensively throughout the album.

Anyway, isn't that just normal feedback coming from a guitar cabinet?

hmm...i don't hear it in that tune...?

sometimes when dealing with stuff like this, it can be useful to track down a live version and see how the band handle it. if it's all post-production jiggery-pokery, then they may develop a solution that's easier to hear and understand, which you can then copy

The main difference I hear between these two recordings is that the first one sounds like it adds white noise through a swept filter.

I thought the first clip sounded like a heavily compressed high gain guitar with extreme low and high cuts like maybe try 1000 for the low cut and 2000 for the high cut and the. Compress the snot out of it.
On the actual recording all I heard was two guitars and a bass with normal settings.

It sounds like an extreme Low Pass and High Pass filter. Then boosting a particular frequency with a high Q setting, maybe at like 1k or 2k.

My clip and @aens first clip are the studio versions in which the effect is heard, only
in the studio version, not live. That effect is only present the first 4 or 5 seconds when the heavy guitar comes in then effect fades out. If u listen extremely closely throughout the song it pops in for a few seconds at a time but the intro is the most notable. And yes it's a Deftones song.

I'm quite sure it's this song by Deftones:

You might be lucky as they've used Axe FX II's extensively throughout the album.

Anyway, isn't that just normal feedback coming from a guitar cabinet?

No it's right before the feedback starts

Listen to the studio version that aens posted for clearer example. Listen closely to the heavy intro right at 1:29-1:33

The presets used on Koi No Yokan were posted on the forum at one point. If the effect was part of the original guitar tone (and not added in post-production) there could be a clue in the relevant preset.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/guys-wheres-them-deftones-presets-fw603.127105/#post-1512613

EDIT: I now see that you started the thread that I just linked to, so you already know about the presets. A PDF with screenshots of each scene was included in the preset ZIP file; I'll attach it here.

EDIT 2: The PDF appears to be too large to be uploaded to the forum. Here's a direct link to the ZIP file: http://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/misc/stef-carpenter-deftones-preset-pack.zip

Last edited:
The presets used on Koi No Yokan were posted on the forum at one point. If the effect was part of the original guitar tone (and not added in post-production) there could be a clue in the relevant preset.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/guys-wheres-them-deftones-presets-fw603.127105/#post-1512613

EDIT: I now see that you started the thread that I just linked to, so you already know about the presets. A PDF with screenshots of each scene was included in the preset ZIP file; I'll attach it here.

EDIT 2: The PDF appears to be too large to be uploaded to the forum. Here's a direct link to the ZIP file: http://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/misc/stef-carpenter-deftones-preset-pack.zip
Thanks Alex C, yeah I have them presets but they're from much older FW and have had to completely rebuild them. This "effect" could be one of the many filter blocks used in the original preset with a controller attached for the sweeping warble effect. Thanks for your help!

Back
Top Bottom