Effect Status not reverting with scene change

Duff Man

Hi, sorry I've looked everywhere and can't find an answer to this issue. And yes I've tried the scene revert function but it's probably an easy fix for someone much cleverer than I.

Basically an Axe3 with an FC12 and a mission engineering Kemper expression pedal (momentary toe switch). Now it's taken me a few days to get it almost doing what I want, and I'm super proud of myself, but here's the last hurdle.

I have a WAH block and a VOL block and both have their values linked to external 1 - which is linked to FC1 pedal 1 - works great. The switch / bypass status is linked to FC1 pedal 2 (pedal toe switch) - instead of external 2 and then linking to pedal 2, which I have also tried), and the VOL bypass inverted - pressing the toe switch switches the active block - does what it should.

My PRESET / Scenes are saved with VOL active / WAH bypassed.

Changing PRESETS, and then coming back puts the preset at it's saved state - this is what I want
Changing SCENES, does NOT revert to the default state of the VOL block being active (and therefore the WAH off), nor does it reset the original SCENE when you return to it

Now, I have scene revert ON - and this works on another modifier I have set up on a different FC switch (this changes the row select in the multiplex block for an external drive pedal)

I've gone through the FC Per-preset and CS Per scene and tried OFF and LAST - makes no difference
Trying PC Reset ON/OFF on the bypass modifiers makes no difference.

So in conclusion, switching scenes does NOT revert to the saved effect state of this fancy little FC1 Pedal #2 switch state that I have set up.

anyone have any ideas?

It's normal that an external switch retains control as long as you're on the preset with things configured as described. Switching scenes won't let PC RST restore the saved state.

You mentioned CS Per Scene settings, but you don't have the external switch set up as a CS here. That's actually the solution.

1. Change the source for both bypass modifiers from External Ctrl X to a control switch (use the same CS# for both).

2. Add that CS# as a tap function somewhere in a layout.

3. Configure the FC1 Pedal 2 switch as a stand-in switch for that FC switch's tap function. Now the CS Per Scene settings should apply.

Hey Bakerman, thanks for your input on this. I've just spent a few hours and I seem to have made some progress. It now works, but it seems a little clumsy but maybe it's all that can be done. For anyone trying to do the same, here is what I did (following Bakerman's instructions).

1. I changed both bypass modifiers to CS#2
2. I put CS#2 as the HOLD function of one of the FC12 buttons - this is where it seems strange, the whole point of using the expression pedal toe button is to avoid using up one of the FC12 switches - I was able to bury it as a hold though, so it's workable but I'm worried it could activate the tap function accidentally.
3. I had to change the expression pedal switch TS output jack to connect to the FC12 switch 1+2 input (it was initially connected to the FC12 pedal 2 in as per other guides and does work, except I can't find any option to set up a STAND IN switch to a pedal input) so this was set to the relevant layout and switch, latching - which was the only option

Finally (for anyone following along) my new issue was that any scene change would activate the WAH and bypass volume no matter what the state was prior to the scene change - I was able to overcome this by un-inverting the bypass min/max settings of both the blocks.

So thanks for your help, and if you think of anything else please let me know!

Duffman

Sorry, just to add - it seems (to me) that by using the CS# input to modify a value, it needs to be linked to a SWITCH input and not a PEDAL input, to allow CS Per Scene (or something else) to revert it to it's saved scene state when switching scenes.

How would this work if I wanted to use a different expression pedal (FC Pedal #3) to modify some other parameter, say volume of a parallel path; If a scene for the solo finished with this pedal at max value, and then I changed scenes to the verse (where the saved state is min value), wouldn't that expression pedal parameter remain at max, therefore overriding the saved verse state? because it doesn't have a CS? So therefore if I set the volume modifier to CS#3 - how do I link that to FC Pedal#3?

thanks again!

How would this work if I wanted to use a different expression pedal (FC Pedal #3) to modify some other parameter, say volume of a parallel path; If a scene for the solo finished with this pedal at max value, and then I changed scenes to the verse (where the saved state is min value), wouldn't that expression pedal parameter remain at max, therefore overriding the saved verse state? because it doesn't have a CS? So therefore if I set the volume modifier to CS#3 - how do I link that to FC Pedal#3?

You could add a scene controller or CS as second modifier source, with "Src1 x Src2" selected. Set the CS Per Scene or Scene Controller value to On/100% in scenes where you want to enable pedal control. In the remaining scenes, Off/0% will keep the modifier at minimum.

If you want pedal control available in any scene (or to not immediately hear the controlled parameter at pedal's value when switching to solo scene) you'd need to use the CS stand-in approach again, and press the switch to take control on the solo scene. Otherwise you don't need an actual switch. The CS per scene settings should work whether or not the CS is in a layout.

Good to hear you sorted out the switch vs. pedal input limitation for stand-in switches. I think that's been mentioned here before but I forgot.

Bakerman, you are clearly some sort of super Jedi.

I've followed your instructions and set the CS# state per scene xSrc2 and it works like a charm. I also loved your tip about not needing a actual switch to link the CS# to, that was brilliant, saves me needing to race out and buy an FC24... ooohhhh that would be pretty sweet though... with a much better screen, and mini screens, and 2 pedals built in with toe switches that are fully independent... the FC 26++... maybe throw in a built in fan for those 80s hair metal solos...

anyway, thanks again!

Bakerman, you are clearly some sort of super Jedi.

I've followed your instructions and set the CS# state per scene xSrc2 and it works like a charm. I also loved your tip about not needing a actual switch to link the CS# to, that was brilliant, saves me needing to race out and buy an FC24... ooohhhh that would be pretty sweet though... with a much better screen, and mini screens, and 2 pedals built in with toe switches that are fully independent... the FC 26++... maybe throw in a built in fan for those 80s hair metal solos...

anyway, thanks again!
if I feel comfortable promising anything, it's that Fractal will never do a built in expression pedal, lol

Back
Top Bottom