EFFECT GURUS: what is this effect????

Laskyman

Inspired
The Cure-Fascination Street (With Lyrics) - YouTube

The song is Fascination Street by the Cure, the sound in question is the very opening "bird chirping" type sound. I *think* it is a flanger, but I am not sure how to go about recreating it- can someone help me out? have a setting to explore? Is there a sysx of this in the master effects database?
Is it an entirely different effect?
I know Prince also has this effect several places on his Purple Rain album- Anyone ?

Thanks in advance...

Chorus - definitely.
Flanger - a little bit.
Delay - definitely.
That's what I hear in the [beginning] of the song.

Chorus - definitely.
Flanger - more than above.
Delay - most certainly.
Main guitar throughout the song.

That reminds me of a sound i used to get (in the 80s) by holding the pickups of my guitar up to the side of my amp where the transformer is housed.
It was pretty wild and unpredictable but a little reminiscent of that sound.
I first heard it used by Ian Crichton from Saga on one of the songs from 'Heads or Tales'.
That said, this is a 'mild' version of that sound.

"Intermission" - a killer tune! Ian Crichton is totally underrated!
That reminds me of a sound i used to get (in the 80s) by holding the pickups of my guitar up to the side of my amp where the transformer is housed.
It was pretty wild and unpredictable but a little reminiscent of that sound.
I first heard it used by Ian Crichton from Saga on one of the songs from 'Heads or Tales'.
That said, this is a 'mild' version of that sound.

Chorus and reverb mainly. That album has many many layers of guitar. Also had the jangly Gretch/Rickenbacker type guitar sound. There used to be some Cure patches floating around here somewhere.

Sounds like just a slide on the guitar played up near the pickups on the high strings with reverb

As a kid, before I knew or could afford a slide, I would use the smooth edge of a nickel on the high strings above the pickups to make a similiar sound. In fact, it maybe easier to control (meaning: not strike more than one string) with the nickel then a slide. Also, dampen the strings with your fretting hand.

For sure a flanger is in there somewhere, along with some feedback. Porl Thompson also used to play that ES-345 with either the long tailpiece or Bigsby and would pick notes between the bridge and tailpiece, if I'm not mistaken. If he was the one that recorded that part, those are some possibilities. Disintegration may not have tons of amazingly technical guitar parts, but IMO, it's an awesome album with lots cool parts layered throughout.

Sounds like just a slide on the guitar played up near the pickups on the high strings with reverb

+1. I created a VERY similar effect on one of my first demo tapes back in the early 90's. But I used a pencil and a heavy dose of delay.

+1. I created a VERY similar effect on one of my first demo tapes back in the early 90's. But I used a pencil and a heavy dose of delay.

+2 but it also sounds like it may have been augmented by a delay pedal which is looping the sound. I've seen people create a sound with a delay pedal, loop it and then alter it by speeding up/slowing down the repeat. This could account for the change and duration of the sound. Thus, it could be one slide of the pick down near the pickups with delay that is looped and then altered going forward.

+2 but it also sounds like it may have been augmented by a delay pedal which is looping the sound. I've seen people create a sound with a delay pedal, loop it and then alter it by speeding up/slowing down the repeat. This could account for the change and duration of the sound. Thus, it could be one slide of the pick down near the pickups with delay that is looped and then altered going forward.

It's got a the base track being played with the aforementioned FX running real time; then I'd imagine - especially knowing the era and what was happening back then - that there's a tonne of post production FX layered and smeared all over it as well. Like, what was this, '88 or '89..?!?!?! There was more blow chalked up on the desk of recording studios back then than faders LOL.... It was the era of processed music, and good flake LOL!!!

My story and I'm sticking to it.
Mo

Cool effect. Sounds like feedback squeal thru a Boss or ADA flanger.

Probably requires a guitar that has slightly microphonic pickups and rather high volume levels.

Cool effect. Sounds like feedback squeal thru a Boss or ADA flanger.

Probably requires a guitar that has slightly microphonic pickups and rather high volume levels.

This is kind of what I was thinking- although I was not sure the make of the Flanger...now, how to reproduce in the Axe...

Back
Top Bottom