Effect for sweet emotion intro

ChrisCG

Experienced
Hey all,

I’m looking for settings for sweet emotion in the intro, I’m guessing since we don’t have a talk box in the Axe that maybe the Formant block? Anyone use this for this song if so what settings did you use on it.

Thanks

Many years ago I tried using the Formant Filter and expression pedal to replicate a talk box but I wasn't satisfied. The only FX pedal that I carry to supplement the AxeFXII is a Rocktron Banshee. I suspect that if you tweak around with the FF long enough you'll get a decent result. It depends on how picky you are - I guess I'm picky.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions, hopefully someone has used this before. I have played around with FF and still haven’t found the right settings to make it sound quite right.

Like Chuk above, I've incorporated a Rocktron Banshee into my setup. There aren't that many occasions I get to use it, but it does a great job when I do!

Sorry Pauly, That one doesn't have a 'Voice Box' sim in it. (that song doesn't use one). I do have a 'Sweet Emotion' preset with one in it though. And there's one in my 'The Zoo' (Scorpions) preset.

I use volume knob swells, increase delay mix and repeats (w/ Exp pedal toe down) and use another exp pedal tied to wah and formant ... I forget order of vowels ... but it’s really wah moving and swells sustained by delay. Then back to main rhythm plexi crunch patch ( and heel down on those 2 foot controller’s ) for verse. YMMV.

There's a sweet emotion preset??...OMG I missed that - even when I browsed them all looking for the Bon Jovi one - ha - what a dope!
Thanks Moke - Seems the OP has his answer right there.
Pauly

Sorry Pauly, That one doesn't have a 'Voice Box' sim in it. (that song doesn't use one). I do have a 'Sweet Emotion' preset with one in it though. And there's one in my 'The Zoo' (Scorpions) preset.

Oh - and also - grab the formant block out of the 'man in a box' preset,,
I've used this live (for both Sweet Emotion and Man in the Box) and it seemed to go over well. I tried tweaking to get it to sound closer, but the block doesn't really have the right vowels. In a live band setting, I don't think the crowd really noticed the difference.

Whenever I use the Banshee it turns heads. A lot of punters don't know what it is but they're fascinated anyway.

Exactly! I am using Banshee 2 along my axe 2 for few songs of Bon Jovi, Man in The Box of Alice in Chains...and it definetly has a lot of impact on audience. Worth every penny :)

I know this is an old thread, but... I now find myself having to do the Sweet Emotion thing, and I'm not very happy with the formant block (sounds too thin, and doesn't have anywhere near the required range of talk-box effect). Has anyone here done a recording using Moke's custom preset? I'd hate to buy it (unheard) only to realize that Moke also couldn't quite do it with his preset... If it's substantially better than mine, then I'll rush over to buy it.

Not to derail or discourage you from buying one of the presets by the excellent Moke, but I over the summer I used a synthesizer app and my iPhone (no guitar) held right up by my mouth to do a really good talkbox effect. Maybe someone here who was at the Periphery camp remembers this. It sounded really good to me.

Back
Top Bottom