Effect for pickless attack?

Fredlos120

Inspired
Looking for awn effect or method to have notes initiate immediately after the pick attack like Kurt Rosenwinkel. demo and discussion at 1:5512:15 in this video. Thanks for all!

You could try starting with the Vol/Pan block using the Auto-Swell type.

Or just using the normal Volume function but with an ADSR on the Volume control, but that's a bit more advanced.

Don't forget the compressor part of it, following the Vol/Pan block. I don't use compression much, so not sure exactly how you would set it up according to how Kurt describes it.

You could try starting with the Vol/Pan block using the Auto-Swell type.

Or just using the normal Volume function but with an ADSR on the Volume control, but that's a bit more advanced.
Thanks! Any chance you could provide more details or steer me in the right direction to learn about how to use "the normal Volume function but with an ADSR on the Volume control?"

I've been chasing this tone also. I believe one of the secrets is a nice semi-hollow body guitar (I have a nice Gibson 335). Second, use the neck pickup with the tone control rolled all the way back (or close to all the way). Third. pick a nice clean amp (fender, vox, etc)...the Roland Jazz Chorus works well for me... Set the tone controls on the amp: Volume 3-4, Bass 0-1, treble 4-5...sometimes, I add a little optical compressor in front of the amo. I wish we had the Polytone Brute amp...many jazz greats used this amp...also bassist used it. You might be able to get a better jazz sound by tweeking the Ampeg Bass amps in the Axe-FX.

Here's a video were the guy shows how to do this with almost any amp:

Last edited:
Thanks! Any chance you could provide more details or steer me in the right direction to learn about how to use "the normal Volume function but with an ADSR on the Volume control?"
Use a Vol/Pan block and assign the ADSR controller to the Volume parameter.

Page 65 of the FM3 manual talks about the various internal controllers, including ADSR... But it doesn't give a lot of details.

I'd have to experiment with settings to guide you more than that. Maybe there's a tutorial video about ADSR that might help?

I think what you'd want at minimum is to make the Attack be slow (ADSR stands for Attack, Decay, Sustain, Release).

Use a Vol/Pan block and assign the ADSR controller to the Volume parameter.

Page 65 of the FM3 manual talks about the various internal controllers, including ADSR... But it doesn't give a lot of details.

I'd have to experiment with settings to guide you more than that. Maybe there's a tutorial video about ADSR that might help?

I think what you'd want at minimum is to make the Attack be slow (ADSR stands for Attack, Decay, Sustain, Release).
Ahhh - familiar with those parameters from other effects. Thanks. BTW - there is more talk of this if you go to the NES section of the forum.
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...o-kurt-rosenwinkel.156021/page-2#post-2013371

I've been chasing this tone also. I believe one of the secrets is a nice semi-hollow body guitar (I have a nice Gibson 335). Second, use the neck pickup with the tone control rolled all the way back (or close to all the way). Third. pick a nice clean amp (fender, vox, etc)...the Roland Jazz Chorus works well for me... Set the tone controls on the amp: Volume 3-4, Bass 0-1, treble 4-5...sometimes, I add a little optical compressor in front of the amo. I wish we had the Polytone Brute amp...many jazz greats used this amp...also bassist used it. You might be able to get a better jazz sound by tweeking the Ampeg Bass amps in the Axe-FX.

Here's a video were the guy shows how to do this with almost any amp:

The guy in the video is Jens Larsen and he’s posted a couple of his presets his presets in the forum which are posted under @Jens One of them is up on Axe-Exchange. They are AX8 presets so they need to be converted. He has a fairly detailed discussion of how he shapes his presets in this video. (I’ve set it to start where he’s talking about the AX8.)

I understand why people might want a Polytone but find an element of irony in it given we have modellers. imo Polytones and Roland cubes were a solution to problems with tube amps - namely weight and reliability, particularly when traveling. And even among jazz players there was a good amount of discussion as to whether solid-state measured up to tubes. I think most players would have preferred a twin. And even today people like Peter Bernstein prefer a backline amp like a twin or deluxe.

The guy in the video is Jens Larsen and he’s posted a couple of his presets his presets in the forum which are posted under @Jens One of them is up on Axe-Exchange. They are AX8 presets so they need to be converted. He has a fairly detailed discussion of how he shapes his presets in this video. (I’ve set it to start where he’s talking about the AX8.)
I didn't realize he was a forum member. I really dig the videos of his that I've watched.

Back
Top Bottom