Effect Bypass default state "stubborn" and hard to change

Randall d

Experienced
I have a MFC and a Mission expression pedal with a toe switch. I set up the toe switch to toggle the expression pedal back and forth between Volume and Wah. This worked great, but when the MFC wasn't plugged into the Axe, the Wah defaulted to the on state (instead of Bypass). Bakerman advised me to:

"Turn PC RST on for each bypass modifier, use eff. byp. button to get the desired initial states, save preset".

I did this and it works, but I really need to fight with it to get the Effect Bypass button to bypass the Wah block. Once in a while it would, but most of the time it would not do it. I would save the patch again and exit and then try again. Sometimes it would work after multiple pushes of the Eff. Bypass button, but many times it would continue to not go into bypass of the block. Sometimes the block would show that it was active (not bypassed) and I would save it, and switch to a different Preset, and then back, and check the Layout, and it would be bypassed (even though it said it wasn't when I saved it). I never found a pattern that would consistently work. Looks like a minor (but frustrating) bug. (BTW, it is not the Effect Bypass button because it worked flawlessly on other effect blocks in the Preset). I am using FW 9.02.

I have a MFC and a Mission expression pedal with a toe switch. I set up the toe switch to toggle the expression pedal back and forth between Volume and Wah. This worked great, but when the MFC wasn't plugged into the Axe, the Wah defaulted to the on state (instead of Bypass). Bakerman advised me to:

"Turn PC RST on for each bypass modifier, use eff. byp. button to get the desired initial states, save preset".

I did this and it works, but I really need to fight with it to get the Effect Bypass button to bypass the Wah block. Once in a while it would, but most of the time it would not do it. I would save the patch again and exit and then try again. Sometimes it would work after multiple pushes of the Eff. Bypass button, but many times it would continue to not go into bypass of the block. Sometimes the block would show that it was active (not bypassed) and I would save it, and switch to a different Preset, and then back, and check the Layout, and it would be bypassed (even though it said it wasn't when I saved it). I never found a pattern that would consistently work. Looks like a minor (but frustrating) bug. (BTW, it is not the Effect Bypass button because it worked flawlessly on other effect blocks in the Preset). I am using FW 9.02.

You need to save the default effect state on the MFC-101 and make sure it sending it on a preset change. It will override what ever you do on the axe-fx. I use this method on a regular basis. It seems to be working fine here with a LF+. I will test with an MFC-101 today.

I did not have the MFC hooked up to the Axe.

I see, misunderstood.
From the Manual:
" When BYPASS MODE is assigned a modifier, you cannot change the stored setting with the FX BYP button; this control is disabled to ensure that a remote control and the actual bypass state remain in sync."

I'm not getting the FX Bypass working at all when I try that - like is stated in the manual.

I would just change the initial state of the effects to volume. It is under I/O-MIDI-EXT CTRL # INIT VAL. Set it opposite to what it is now. That should put the initial value (like when the controller is not plugged in) to start as a volume control not wah.

I'm not getting the FX Bypass working at all when I try that - like is stated in the manual.

I thought this changed at some point, but I realize now it's not in the release notes. I'm almost certain someone at FA mentioned it was planned for an update.

The FX Bypass button should still affect what gets stored if you want to use that approach, even though you might not see the block change at the time. So press once if something needs to be opposite of how it is, store, leave & return to preset.

I thought this changed at some point, but I realize now it's not in the release notes. I'm almost certain someone at FA mentioned it was planned for an update.

The FX Bypass button should still affect what gets stored if you want to use that approach, even though you might not see the block change at the time. So press once if something needs to be opposite of how it is, store, leave & return to preset.

It does not change the fx state visually or audibly when you hit fx bypass. You can't seem to change without unselecting the modifier source. I haven't tried leaving the preset and coming back.

Back
Top Bottom