Effect Block Ordering

loopie

Inspired
I'm still pretty new with my AFX, but I am confused about the Effects Block Ordering.
Typically with a "pedal" setup, you typically put your effects in the order of..
"dirt effect, amp, time based effects,speaker cab".
With my AFX I see the typical setup of...
"dirt effect, amp, speaker cab, time based effects.
Shouldn't the Delay/Modulator/Reverb, go before the cabinet effect?
What am I missing?

Actually as I am writing, I was thinking, the Time Bassed Effects go between the Amplifiers Pre Amp, and the Amplifiers Power Amp sections.
With the AFX I don't see how to split an amp to put effects blocks between the Pre and Power Amp sections of the Amplifier.
What gives?

Thanks,
Loopie

No need to put things between amp and cab - after the cab will give the same or an extremely similar effect as something in the Loop of a real amp.

Try it, you'll like it

anything you put in front of the cab will be coloured by the cab's eq. if you like that, then do it. otherwise think like a recording studio - the mic on the cab goes to the desk and then the time based fx are added with no colouration.

Oh, and anything you put in front of a mono cab will be mono, so best to
Put after if you want to hear in stereo. The presets are set up like this.

Trust your ears. All it takes is a few mouse clicks to move any element into any order; which order sounds best through the physical equipment you're using?

Anytime I build a preset, I tend to space the Amp and Cab out, with room before and after both:
AE screenshot.JPG

That way, I can move things into different spots and choose the ordering that works best for what I want out of the patch.

Take a look at the way Fractal has set up most of their effects patches. They have put them in the order most frequently used.

Take a look at the way Fractal has set up most of their effects patches.

I haven't bought my Axe8 yet. Do Fractal products come with some patches (presets), or are "effects patches" something different?

The thing I don't understand is in the physical world, if I put something after the cab it would be unusable.

Are we saying because it's all virtual, order is completely irrelevant then?

The thing I don't understand is in the physical world, if I put something after the cab it would be unusable.

When you record in a studio, there are MANY effects used “after your cab.”

Have you read the Owners manual basics section? It explains it quite well.

Ok thanks, I was thinking in terms of a stage set up.

Yes, I've read half of the Ax8 manual. I must have forgotten that part.

Ok thanks, I was thinking in terms of a stage set up.

Yes, I've read half of the Ax8 manual. I must have forgotten that part.
In stage setups, effects are added at the mixer as well. With the Axe, you can take control of those types of effects yourself.

From what I understand, it doesn't matter if you put effects before or after the cab. With IR's, it's the same net result.
IR's have nothing to do with the coloration that can happen putting time based fx before the amp. they are far more affected by OD/distortion when put before the amp and cab.

I haven't bought my Axe8 yet. Do Fractal products come with some patches (presets), or are "effects patches" something different?

Might be better next time to post AX8 questions in the AX8 forum rather than an Axe Fx II thread that is 5+ years dead...

Ive been begging for some guides / YouTube's of this exact topic. When / Why to parallel, why this order or that?

Of course experimentation is key and 'ears for the win' but I have a day job and knowledge leads to more efficient use of play time.

Ive been begging for some guides / YouTube's of this exact topic. When / Why to parallel, why this order or that?

Of course experimentation is key and 'ears for the win' but I have a day job and knowledge leads to more efficient use of play time.
This is not an Axe Fx specific issue. The same questions exist for analog rigs, too

And for most of the "right" answers, there a "wrong" one that gets good results in the right context.

At most, you're going to get generalities... And a simple Google search can answer those.

This is not an Axe Fx specific issue. The same questions exist for analog rigs, too

And for most of the "right" answers, there a "wrong" one that gets good results in the right context.

At most, you're going to get generalities... And a simple Google search can answer those.
I hear you 100% unix-guy but it's way more fun to talk about this stuff here!

I made a video talking about exactly this. I didn’t go into parallel but I did talk about why this order and that order with examples. I’ll link them below. Hope it helps!

Effects Order:

Delay Placement:

Back
Top Bottom