Education request

Status
Not open for further replies.
Italio's idea of the preset with the midi cc's changing values as opposed to just using multiple presets would be great for my setup with the gcp. instead of loading one preset and using a single quick change button I have to use the 4 preset buttons, bank up and down buttons and have the presets saved in order. Just as much work programming and organizing, and more work changing on the fly. Just because you don't have a use for something doesn't mean someone else won't, and the community here is so good if you can't figure something out it's not usually a problem getting help or even just downloading the premade patch.

This post is being moved to the wish list forum. that is essentially what it is.

Sean

actually it wasn't a wish thing at all.
I have a wish IF I own a device and find something missing in it. I don't even have an AXE.
Mine was just a little suggestion, among very few others, I used to reply to somebody asking for what I think may be my advices.
Moving the thread here will hide it more and more....

Italio's idea of the preset with the midi cc's changing values as opposed to just using multiple presets would be great for my setup with the gcp. instead of loading one preset and using a single quick change button I have to use the 4 preset buttons, bank up and down buttons and have the presets saved in order. Just as much work programming and organizing, and more work changing on the fly. Just because you don't have a use for something doesn't mean someone else won't, and the community here is so good if you can't figure something out it's not usually a problem getting help or even just downloading the premade patch.

Jay

exactly. I just came up with a few things on somebody's question and this was actually one invention that remains unique in the fx processors market.
I favour the more openess possible when it comes to control and MIDI, so all approaches are good, depending on how any user will find useful to choose among them.
Actually the real art is to find ways to blend them. THAT is hard!
Having used MIDI since 1985 I'm well aware of its conceptual organizing powers and limitations. You may have everything perfectly preset & organized BUT you may miss the possibility to change something at your moment's desire...and the opposite is also true...you have switches to on/off every single thing but you may miss a bigger organizing picture. I have gone thru many systems in my job, with many, many big names..and always there was a problem in one or the other direction. I have found very few who are really free to use organization AND moment's inspiration...and guess what? Most of them don't even use MIDI at all. But they also don't need to have 12 different amps sounds. They may have 2...but their effects make them a hundred!
Anyway, your point is as simple as true; one sees something useful and the other doesn't. Amazing how some may erect barricades with words against something...like a crusade or what...
Just reassure those friends that nothing will happen to their small garden.

Thanks for a different angle of vision

I

I am somewhat confused with what it is you hope to accomplish here. From what I have read from your responses Italo, you seem to feel you can size up and cook DSP solutions by simply dissecting the box itself. If this is your hope, you won't get far without a source code or listing, both of which Cliff keeps close to the vest as this is his most valuable intellectual property.

As for the proposals you have made so far, it would seem that the CC controlled parameter sets would take more trouble for the user than its worth in the end. Plus, from a system architecture point of view, that would require alot of code segment modification and frequent memory paging complete with debugging the heck out of it. Hardly just a subroutine call. If this is to be implemented, you need strong justification to make the change as the current control scheme is what many would consider to be very robust. I think that the preset recall latency is extremely low anyhow.

I would tend to think that as a DSP programmer you would be far more interested in the development platform, the IDE preferred by Cliff, emulators, programing interfaces, and hardware limitations. The information you are asking for is all in the manual or wiki.

-a randomizer is not an lfo with random wave. It's a random numbers generator.... the Lfo goes 0 to 1 with all intermediate values that can be randomized and works pretty much like audio signal at reduced sampling frequency. A randomizer has the ability to set free min/max values and speed and it's pure control signal.

Once again, I am thrown for a loop. You said a randomizer is a control signal, are you saying an LFO is an audio signal? We are either confused as to what you mean by a randomizer or you are confused as to what a random LFO is. From a programming perspective, if you want to get random values between fixed bounds outside of the 0 to 1 range, you could use basic arithmetic on the LFO [LFO * (max value - min value) - min value].

I respectfully remain skeptical of what your intentions are. This board not just a bunch of fan boys. We are a bunch of fan boys who also happen to be performers, producers, engineers, and industry experts. Your responses appear to be tripping their BS meters. Might I suggest you contact Cliff if you are indeed someone who can add value to the Axe-FX. Others have and I am sure others will.

I am somewhat confused with what it is you hope to accomplish here. From what I have read from your responses Italo, you seem to feel you can size up and cook DSP solutions by simply dissecting the box itself. If this is your hope, you won't get far without a source code or listing, both of which Cliff keeps close to the vest as this is his most valuable intellectual property.

As for the proposals you have made so far, it would seem that the CC controlled parameter sets would take more trouble for the user than its worth in the end. Plus, from a system architecture point of view, that would require alot of code segment modification and frequent memory paging complete with debugging the heck out of it. Hardly just a subroutine call. If this is to be implemented, you need strong justification to make the change as the current control scheme is what many would consider to be very robust. I think that the preset recall latency is extremely low anyhow.

I would tend to think that as a DSP programmer you would be far more interested in the development platform, the IDE preferred by Cliff, emulators, programing interfaces, and hardware limitations. The information you are asking for is all in the manual or wiki.

Once again, I am thrown for a loop. You said a randomizer is a control signal, are you saying an LFO is an audio signal? We are either confused as to what you mean by a randomizer or you are confused as to what a random LFO is. From a programming perspective, if you want to get random values between fixed bounds outside of the 0 to 1 range, you could use basic arithmetic on the LFO [LFO * (max value - min value) - min value].

I respectfully remain skeptical of what your intentions are. This board not just a bunch of fan boys. We are a bunch of fan boys who also happen to be performers, producers, engineers, and industry experts. Your responses appear to be tripping their BS meters. Might I suggest you contact Cliff if you are indeed someone who can add value to the Axe-FX. Others have and I am sure others will.

Hi
thank you for the suggestions.

I'm not trying to accomplish anything specific here. This thing about the CC used to internally change a whole preset is just one of a few things I wrote in replying to somebody that was very interested in which suggestions I may have. Nothing more or less. You can check at the beginning of the thread. The thing got bigger and bigger because of some people here, not me. I'm not suggesting a change. I'm not judging as the unit works.
Yes, you are right. To achieve such an extended control feature the modification in the code could be quite deep. That's something only Cliff knows. And should probably be justified by good points if that is the case.
LFO is a modulation signal that some platforms implement as an audio signal at a much lower sample rate...at least on Eventides.
A randomizer is more like a control signal, something that you can directly tie to a parameter input that uses any kind of values range, (dB/Hz/percentage/delay or verb times/pitch cents....). While the lfo would normally sweep between -1 to 1 or 0 to 1, a randomizer could spit out values from, let's say -32000 to +32000, and match parameters values in a more direct way. Nevertheless these things can be implemented in different ways on different platforms; I don't know how it is on the Axe, but it shouldn't be a big thing anyway.
I really don't understand why their BS meters are tripped. A suggestion is just what it is...words! Nothing would even happen if this suggestion could be implemented as it won't change things. It would just be another available way to use the unit, that doesn't change how people currently use it. No one would make such a deep change to force people to throw everything they have programmed so far in favor of a new approach. That's rule number one for any company.
I'm exactly many of those things you describe people here (musician, performer, engineer and in the audio industry) and my reason to post here, was *only* to know more about the details people really love on this wonderful unit, as my question originally and still is and the name of the thread. Some answered with their favorite points, others attacking one of my suggestions in that older reply. That's what you see in front of you.
But you are right....things like these should be discussed somewhere/and with somebody else, especially when you see reactions like these. If replies could only be about what people like I would be grateful as you don't find this in a user manual or on a wiki, right? It's a musician, producer, audio engineer experience value only real people can communicate.
So...in short, instead of keeping up with this attacks, if you folks have answers about what you like in the Axe, I will be very grateful to you, otherwise anything else is something that doesn't make sense and I won't even deal with wasting time in replying. Or just consider the thread closed and live fine.

I

Fair enough. But you can also consider it fair game for others to scrutinize when you begin to imply that you can bring value to this device unsolicited by the creator while visibly "wearing" your credentials. Considering that most people that actually have contributed to the Axe have done so behind the curtain and are so modest as to not adorn their handles, avatars, and signatures with entitlement. It just seems fishy.

If you are looking for responses on the satisfaction of users look at any of the other threads. If you are looking for more specific opinions on particular features, then first you should find out what those features are via the manual and wiki. Then ask those specific questions. Simply saying "how would you guys like it if I were to add 'X' feature and 'Y' capability?" is going to lead people to ask why you wan't to know and furthermore "who are you?" and "why aren't you speaking to Cliff?". There are far better ways to approach this.

As for the BS meter comment, I mean know offense by it, but some of the comments you made contain phrases that electronic engineers (not audio engineers) simply never say when pertaining to electronics. One example was the zero latency parameter set you could provide over typical preset recall latency. If another engineer proposed a design or scope change to me and used hyperbole to justify it, I would tell him to take a hike.

I also am an electronics engineer/ musician/ producer/ owner of a pro audio design service, and I am not attacking you. I was simply confused over the subject of this thread and clearly so is the forum staff.

Fair enough. But you can also consider it fair game for others to scrutinize when you begin to imply that you can bring value to this device unsolicited by the creator while visibly "wearing" your credentials. Considering that most people that actually have contributed to the Axe have done so behind the curtain and are so modest as to not adorn their handles, avatars, and signatures with entitlement. It just seems fishy.

If you are looking for responses on the satisfaction of users look at any of the other threads. If you are looking for more specific opinions on particular features, then first you should find out what those features are via the manual and wiki. Then ask those specific questions. Simply saying "how would you guys like it if I were to add 'X' feature and 'Y' capability?" is going to lead people to ask why you wan't to know and furthermore "who are you?" and "why aren't you speaking to Cliff?". There are far better ways to approach this.

As for the BS meter comment, I mean know offense by it, but some of the comments you made contain phrases that electronic engineers (not audio engineers) simply never say when pertaining to electronics. One example was the zero latency parameter set you could provide over typical preset recall latency. If another engineer proposed a design or scope change to me and used hyperbole to justify it, I would tell him to take a hike.

I also am an electronics engineer/ musician/ producer/ owner of a pro audio design service, and I am not attacking you. I was simply confused over the subject of this thread and clearly so is the forum staff.

I haven't implied anything. Just asked a single question. Than answered to somebody about whay I think may be added and from my limited knowledge of the box I suggested a few things. That's all.
I prefer a genereic question about "what do you like?" than "specific ones.
Look...we all know that zero latency is almost a myth. What counts is latency you can actually perceive or not. Let's just not be picky and get lost in words. Sure enough is that changing parameters is much faster than presets.
It's about perception.
Don't be confused. It's just a simple question. If you like, answer to it, or just leave it alone.
Please stop suggesting "talk to...." I know that....I'm not even posting here, just replying to confusion....

I

In that case, in support of your simplistic wishes, I shall provide a simple response to your simple question.

I like the Axe-FX.

Would you educate me on the AXE II and on the AXE products in general?
What is that you find unique, super, amazing, etc.?
...and what would you like to add to it?

The first question is too general for me to answer when the Wiki will do a better job, or even a press release, or anything that basic. :)

The second... It's not really what's super or amazing that attracted me to it. It's the fact that it's top notch effects and simulation solution where I can put effects in any order with deep control. Plus it's an interface that is very user friendly, IMHO, even if you do not use the Axe Edit, which I don't. I couldn't find another solution that fit some basic requirements in a way that satisfied my needs.

The third... I have a Standard. The Axe II added everything I could immediately think of that I may eventually need, but not necessarily need right now.

Now, about the elephant in the room, these questions to me feel like questions that would come from a Marketing department of a company that is looking to improve their product. Or from a competing company that wants to enter the market with a similar product. Since you do not work for Fractal Audio, I don't know what to think. It's not my place to make this out to be any more than it is, as you clearly stated. I will respect that. But add me to the list of people that feel this whole thing is more than a little creepy. Sorry

The first question is too general for me to answer when the Wiki will do a better job, or even a press release, or anything that basic. :)

The second... It's not really what's super or amazing that attracted me to it. It's the fact that it's top notch effects and simulation solution where I can put effects in any order with deep control. Plus it's an interface that is very user friendly, IMHO, even if you do not use the Axe Edit, which I don't. I couldn't find another solution that fit some basic requirements in a way that satisfied my needs.

The third... I have a Standard. The Axe II added everything I could immediately think of that I may eventually need, but not necessarily need right now.

Now, about the elephant in the room, these questions to me feel like questions that would come from a Marketing department of a company that is looking to improve their product. Or from a competing company that wants to enter the market with a similar product. Since you do not work for Fractal Audio, I don't know what to think. It's not my place to make this out to be any more than it is, as you clearly stated. I will respect that. But add me to the list of people that feel this whole thing is more than a little creepy. Sorry

Good. Thank you.
I don't work for any company and I'm here as myself, curious about an fx device I have personal interest in and would probably like to work with.
Be assured that there are many people from many companies here as in every company's forum, lurking, without letting you know.
When I run a company forum, some time ago and for many years, there were many competitors members in it. Some were known, others not....
There was never a problem about this. And I have replied to many, many people asking very generic "Why should I use this product'" type of questions.
It's not a forum that will stop anybody from buying a product and dissect it, if they wanted to.
So, a forum is no fortress defending a treasure. Just a place where civilized discussion should occur, no less_no more.
Again...but obviously my words are not taken for true, I'm here because I'm very curious about the AXE. I like many of the amps replications I've heard on the net.
Too bad the Axe is not available at the typical shop where you could go in and check, especially here in Europe. Otherwise I wouldn't have asked things I could find myself out in a week of using it.
So, I simply asked those questions, hoping that you and others would say what are the best aspects you like.
Somebody may reply with more general definitions like you, others may talk about something more specific...maybe how they like some of those amps or that specific effect or other system aspects, whatever....
I accept everything the users have to say.
Since most of my posting here has been about justifying my questions and presence here because of my transparency in having stated what my experience in the field is, instead of hiding it, I won't reply to anything else than what is strictly
relevant to the questions I posted. I owe no further explanation to anyone in this forum as I have already given plenty of them and have strictly followed the local rules and been polite, which I wish others had been.

Thanks you for your points on the unit.

I

...and what are the top notch effects you like, specifically?

Last edited:
...and what are the top notch effects you like, specifically?

I haven't done side by side comparisons of any one effect type. I also don't have a lot of experience with other pro level effects, just a few. But in general terms, things like reverb, delay, phase, and rotary, effects that I use on a regular basis and have used in some form or another from other products, sound clean and musical to my ears. I also haven't tried an effect that I didn't like. All other units that I have used always excelled with some effects and lacked in others. I have yet to find one that is lacking, with my own personal taste, with the Axe Fx. Sorry I can't be more specific. I guess when I say top notch, I mean that I have yet to be limited by them, with at least what I try to accomplish.

I haven't done side by side comparisons of any one effect type. I also don't have a lot of experience with other pro level effects, just a few. But in general terms, things like reverb, delay, phase, and rotary, effects that I use on a regular basis and have used in some form or another from other products, sound clean and musical to my ears. I also haven't tried an effect that I didn't like. All other units that I have used always excelled with some effects and lacked in others. I have yet to find one that is lacking, with my own personal taste, with the Axe Fx. Sorry I can't be more specific. I guess when I say top notch, I mean that I have yet to be limited by them, with at least what I try to accomplish.

Quality consistency!
That's a good thing to hear.
Some people have a hard time with this even in so called "hi-end" fx boxes.
...and musical....

Thanks Fro.

I

Greatest respect to everyone involved, but hasn't this thread served it's purpose..maybe it's time to leave well alone and see what the future holds, as good as the effects are on some competitor units, only Fractal can decide whether to make use of any offers made.

OK cesmag, I'll spice it up a bit.

I really don't understand why their BS meters are tripped.
You wanted an education. Well, here it is.
In my case, and that of others I've PM’d, it's due in part to the personal experiences we’ve had with you in your previous role. I suspect it is also fueled by your interest in "improvement," meanwhile referring to features of a platform which was simply unable to garner the kind of mass appeal that the Axe-Fx has earned -- precisely because it lacked a category of improvements that only Fractal Audio was able to envision and deliver. I for one communicate with several members of the old Yahoo list who are very pleased that they no longer need to fight with that "creature" (or its former support staff).
There is also a lingering suspicion in my mind that you are mining this community for some un-named competitor.

A few more tidbits of education….
But you can't really build your own things, right?
That depends on what you mean by ‘build your own things’. If you mean for example, build a simple dual chorus using twenty separate modules through an extraordinarily convoluted process, then the answer is no. Instead, you insert the desired Chorus block and adjust the parameters as desired. The Axe is not an Eventide. You can’t micromanage the algorithms, but you instead have some time in your life to get some work done while still attaining superior results.
I don't think it's about help. It's about perspective and possibilities.... "another" algorithm designer coming from "somewhere" can bring...
In the case of the H8000, an “algorithm designer” is simply someone who writes a preset using existing modules. The Axe already has as many “algorithm designers” as there are owners, many of whom freely post their presets (many quite original and of very high quality) for all to share. The difference is that most of these people are modest and don’t think they are anything special. By all means, write some presets and post them. If you are referring to designing new effects blocks, Cliff and staff have the skills required.
That "yet" is what makes things go ahead...or you'd be stuck with the first AXE unit...and you don't want to be in that position, do you?
I do not find myself in that position, nor do I think you are qualified to administer relief if I did. The Axe continually evolves via frequent firmware updates and new product releases, under the supervision of the most competent director I know of. I own the Axe and the Orville. Since I bought the Axe, the Orville is gathering dust in my closet despite its unique strengths. It’s a great unit, but I no longer use or need it. I find it amusing that you believe you can help Cliff keep us from getting “stuck” with something less than your ideal.
In general, being defensive doesn’t improve a product……
A thorough inspection of the Yahoo eventidehelps group archives will show the hypocrisy of this statement. Someone reported a bug? Deny it exists and tell them they don’t know what they are talking about. If they illustrate the bug beyond doubt with specific steps to recreate it, or get confirmation from one of the real engineers, you finally admit it while admonishing the user for having the gall to criticize the most powerful creation in processing history. A user criticizes the unit for lacking a feature? Tell them they are silly for wanting it. You took criticism of Eventide products VERY poorly. Perhaps some of the responsibility rests with Eventide for insufficient training and/or needing someone asap. Good customer service requires specialized training and certain personal traits.
How about a real DynoMyPiano TSC or TC1210 chorus in it?
How about it? This will happen only if Cliff decides to model these particular units. Perhaps you can look over his shoulder and tell him he’s doing it right.
The AXE would require either the building blocks, smaller algorithms to be chained together to create a project...or the whole thing already compiled as a single one...which is what very likely it will be.
It’s called a preset. If you are proposing a collection of twenty modules to create a basic effect, I am not interested.
i would make this prediction-

if Italo joined the fractal team, the axe-fx would permanently join the grail ranks of eventide, lexicon, and tc with a whole new wave of killer fx algorithms from the mind behind the H8000.
The mind behind the H8000???? He was hired to handle Yahoo group support and write some presets. His role as first line customer support was the reason why I and others routinely had to contact Mr. Rose or Mr. Factor directly for correct information (BTW, they and the other people I corresponded with at Eventide were all fantastic). Additionally, Fractal is already among the ‘grail ranks’.
For now, there are a number of effects I have heard in different demos and from what I have learned from the user manual.....there are effects that can't be properly made or impossible at all, particularly in the classic units replicas.
VSIG could create the proper framework for many ‘classic’ effects, but whether they sounded like the originals is debatable at best. I found no convincing BBD delay or specific phase shifter simulation in my Eventide. Other emulations were useful, but did not sound spot on to the originals. Modeling specific products goes far beyond preset creation, and is a process best left to Cliff (if he so decides) and others who are qualified. The Axe-FX II now models tape and BBD delays, as well as specific phase shifters, etc. I look forward to trying them.
A better reverb, some stuff (a lot) that I can't discuss...more control possibilities within the same preset, like having a full rack you don't need to change preset to get to another version of its parameters....like 10 presets in 1.... some routing options...a movable I/O block in the algorithm to insert external gear in the path.... and I'm sure I'll have a lot more after "surgery" on this amazing box. Oh...I forgot a "randomizer" in the mod sources.....
A better reverb? You speak out of ignorance. You have obviously not heard the Fractal reverb, so how do you presume to make such a judgment? I much prefer the Axe’s reverb to my Orville’s, both in terms of realism and user interface. The parameters available in the Eventide units are arbitrarily named, inconsistent from preset to preset, and have little if any intuitive behavior. Many of them certainly sound fantastic, but not “better”. Some of the other features you mentioned are already available, bringing into question your claim of having read the manual.
can you store 10 different values for each parameter and recall ALL values #1 or ALL values #2 (and so on...) with a single CC message with value 1 or 2? No preset change...just a CC message to turn your preset into how many the code could allow...maybe a dozen?
-a randomizer is not an lfo with random wave. It's a random numbers generator.... the Lfo goes 0 to 1 with all intermediate values that can be randomized and works pretty much like audio signal at reduced sampling frequency.
A randomizer has the ability to set free min/max values and speed and it's pure control signal.
Nope. The Axe-FX can’t do that. Wouldn’t want it to. But it can do many (IMO) FAR more important things no other processor can. And if 384 presets and X/Y switching aren’t enough, I’d look for a different product…..probably the H8000 for $5,500. But then, I’d still need the Axe-FX for those FAR more important things.
-there's other stuff....but it's more code oriented to get some specific stuff. I'd like to talk about this to the master coder.
By all means, ask Cliff for his home number. If you are correct, he obviously needs you and will be thankful for your help.

Epilogue:
Despite the thread’s title “Education Request”, despite your opening post stating that you are simply interested in learning about the Axe and what we like about it, and despite the subsequent MAJOR backpedaling once the veracity of your original intent was in question, this thread is instead a thinly-veiled attempt to present yourself as a self-important expert, possibly for employment at Fractal or as a miner for another company, for having accomplished nothing more than writing some presets (something we all do) and providing prior sub-par tech support. It's not working, so you are back to "I'm just here to learn".

After the BS you put me (and others) through, I have little patience for your self-aggrandizement. Let's have lunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom