Education request

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every time I read this thread it creeps my out for some reason. Something strange about it... I think it's the approach the OP is taking... He should just contact Cliff directly...

To spare the moderators any grief, I'll try my best, my very best, to keep my mouth shut from this point on.

Every time I read this thread it creeps my out for some reason. Something strange about it... I think it's the approach the OP is taking... He should just contact Cliff directly...

No reason to be alarmed. There's nothing strange here; I have great admiration for these products, being the most innovative in the guitar market; I'm not here to do any harm...nor to discuss anything about my former employer's products or make comparisons with them. I have no interest in this type of things...
I will contact Cliff, for sure. In the meantime I'm learning from people who own the unit, beyond manual and wiki.
If it will be possible to bring a lot of experience and knowledge to the AXE it shouldn't be anything you or others could possibly worry about... just think about it and you may enjoy possibilities, sounds and who knows what else.
I have been honest qualifying myself, using my true name (no nicknames) and what I have done in the past... instead of being a lurker.

cheers
I

Hi, Italo! Wecome aboard. I'm looking forward to hearing more of your thoughts. You'll definitely want to review what's been written about the Axe-FX II. Many of your suggested improvements (multiple parameter settings for each effect, routable effects loop, random/sequenced LFO) are already implemented in the AFXII, and some of them exist in earlier versions.

Hi, Italo! Wecome aboard. I'm looking forward to hearing more of your thoughts. You'll definitely want to review what's been written about the Axe-FX II. Many of your suggested improvements (multiple parameter settings for each effect, routable effects loop, random/sequenced LFO) are already implemented in the AFXII, and some of them exist in earlier versions.

Hi Rex

-can you store 10 different values for each parameter and recall ALL values #1 or ALL values #2 (and so on...) with a single CC message with value 1 or 2? No preset change...just a CC message to turn your preset into how many the code could allow...maybe a dozen?
-a randomizer is not an lfo with random wave. It's a random numbers generator.... the Lfo goes 0 to 1 with all intermediate values that can be randomized and works pretty much like audio signal at reduced sampling frequency.
A randomizer has the ability to set free min/max values and speed and it's pure control signal.
-very good about the routable FX loop! Would be awesome if AES/EBU could be used for that too, so to avoid other conversions in external units (like on the FireWorX). That's probably a complex thing to do at this stage though....
-there's other stuff....but it's more code oriented to get some specific stuff. I'd like to talk about this to the master coder.

I have asked if the AES/EBU can be used for FX-Loop on the Axe-FX II and the answer came back that it can not....same as in the Axe-FX I

-can you store 10 different values for each parameter and recall ALL values #1 or ALL values #2 (and so on...) with a single CC message

I can never imagine wanting to! The Axe-Fx changes presets so fast... Just make 10 presets! You can already use CCs to change different things in different ways if you need more than one sound inside of a preset. Not just effect bypassing things either, but between settings where modifiers change different things in different ways. With the new X and Y thing there will be even more that you can do without changing presets. but seriously I can barely keep track of 383... 3830 would just be a mess to manage! You'd need one heck of a foot controller too for the extra 10 switches... Maybe it is a lack of imagination on my part, but I can only say that if this was a desirable thing, we would all be doing it by now.

So, to answer the original request. I love the axe-fx because it is easy to get the sounds from my head to my ears.

-can you store 10 different values for each parameter and recall ALL values #1 or ALL values #2 (and so on...) with a single CC message with value 1 or 2? No preset change...just a CC message to turn your preset into how many the code could allow...maybe a dozen?
You can do that with two sets of parameters for every block. Depending on how the Axe-FX II handles MIDI, you may also be able to do it with the global blocks (ten globals for each effect). That would give you 20 sets of values to work with. To be honest, I'm not sure how useful 20 sets of parameters would be. Most MIDI controllers don't let you set MIDI values on the fly (hard to enter numbers with your feet :) ), and most controllers with that ability can also send multiple CC messages as a single function.

-a randomizer is not an lfo with random wave. It's a random numbers generator.... the Lfo goes 0 to 1 with all intermediate values that can be randomized and works pretty much like audio signal at reduced sampling frequency.
A randomizer has the ability to set free min/max values and speed and it's pure control signal.
All versions of the Axe-FX have a sequencer with a "randomize" fuction that produces a stepped, pseudo-random control signal. Min/max values can ge set in the modifier menu. Is this what you mean, or something different?

Would be awesome if AES/EBU could be used for that too, so to avoid other conversions in external units (like on the FireWorX). That's probably a complex thing to do at this stage though....
+1.

I'd like to talk about this to the master coder.
The easiest way to do that is to send him a private message through the forum.

I can never imagine wanting to! The Axe-Fx changes presets so fast... Just make 10 presets! You can already use CCs to change different things in different ways if you need more than one sound inside of a preset. Not just effect bypassing things either, but between settings where modifiers change different things in different ways. With the new X and Y thing there will be even more that you can do without changing presets. but seriously I can barely keep track of 383... 3830 would just be a mess to manage! You'd need one heck of a foot controller too for the extra 10 switches... Maybe it is a lack of imagination on my part, but I can only say that if this was a desirable thing, we would all be doing it by now.

So, to answer the original request. I love the axe-fx because it is easy to get the sounds from my head to my ears.

Maybe this is unclear.

Say you have your preset with a couple of nice amps and, just to stay small, 5 effects. You may want to have several different settings of your amps, from clean to bluesy to crunch to screaming lead and maybe some variations of them with different tones (hi/mid/bass). And the same for effects...maybe a slow chorus with hi depth, a stereo delay with 1/4 and 1/2 notes rhythms, a compressor, a long hall reverb and phaser is off. Now you need to go from your clean twin to a california lead and no chorus, a different delay setting, phaser on, compressor off and your reverb needs to be shorter, brighter and with more predelay and lesser modulation. Imagine to be able to use only ONE CC message to remote all these changes, type of amp and its setting, each fx on/off status and each effect parameters and imagine you can program and store up to ten of these statuses in your preset. Most MIDI pedalboards allow any switch to send out a CC message with a value, 1 to 128. Imagine that each switch sends out CC 1 with a different value, like 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10.
You will be able to totally reconfigure your system with a single MIDI command! Especially because you can have huge strings of effects (footstomps and rack efx) in a preset and amps variations, your point of being impossible to use a large pedalboard with dozens of switches is taken care of...with this very simple approach.
You'll be able to do hundreds of changes with a single switch and no more than the number of switches in any MIDI pedalboard....
And for how fast a preset change can be, this approach will be always faster, with 0 latency. You'll change preset when a totally different chain and/or type of amps/efx will be needed, which may happen less frequently than you think, if you carefully program one of these presets I have described.
It's like having a control table in which you enter the values of your fx on/off status and their parameters AND your amps status and settings. Each set is tied to a master knob which is then remoted by a MIDI CC. So each click of this master knob is a whole set of values for all your rig. That is smart!

It's just a simple thing that can add value to a very powerful and versatile platform like the AXE FX.

How can this be unuseful?

I

Last edited:
Hi Italo, I have understood your matrix idea. My pedalboard (gordius) + Axefx can already do what you suggest, given proper programmation. I prefer to keep it basic.

It's like having a control table in which you enter the values of your fx on/off status and their parameters AND your amps status and settings. Each set is tied to a master knob which is then remoted by a MIDI CC. So each click of this master knob is a whole set of values for all your rig. That is smart!

Maybe this is unclear.... You will be able to totally reconfigure your system with a single MIDI command!

Uhhh yeah, it's called a PRESET! I can't imagine anyone preferring such an overcomplicated way of handling differen sounds.

if you carefully program.

Um, that's okay no thanks... Which is another reason I love the Axefx. It keeps my brain in creative mode, even when dialing in presets. It is harmonious with musical minds.

this approach will be always faster, with 0 latency

Zero latency? I call TOTAL B.S. Even light has latency.

Boy for someone who requested an education you sure trying to do a lot of teaching.

Reactions: Fro
Must........................................resist................................urge........................

Must........................................not...................................break.........................

Reactions: Fro

This can be done on the Axe-Fx (Ultra/Standard/II).... pure control signal... But you need to know how to do it ;-) Random generator can "run" as an LFO, as someone mentioned, or it can output a static random value and wait for an external trigger to randomize again. Min max values are set in the modifier, rather than the source. On the Axe-Fx II, this is set explicitly in terms of parameter values... an awesome new feature.

Last edited:
I tend to agree with the others below on the notion of "tweaks". I owned an 8000 for a long time. I got as good as an end user could be expected to, programming deep stuff from scratch and even working with Eventide engineers on a few things. I made my own custom "tweaks" presets, but I could never keep track of it in my head in the heat of the musical moment. The reason this tweaks thing was needed in my opinion is that presets took a long time to load, and silenced the unit while they were compiling. I much prefer separate presets, each with the ability to have effects turned on/off, and modified with controllers, modifiers, and XY. In terms of the educational value of this conversation, the Axe-Fx shines in this area because it gives you flexibility and usability at the same time.

And presets can do a LOT.... I found this excellent video of Larry Mitchell demonstrating the versatility of a single Axe-Fx II preset.

YouTube - ‪AXE FX II (2) "One Patch"‬‏

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom