Educate me on Matchless DC30 ef86 plz

unFILTERed

Power User
I am using this model with stock/factory Matchless IRs (57 + 121 mixed around -4db).

When i play my 58 custom shop les paul, i get a good tone with Bridge pickup but regardless how much i change the settings (just the main/authentic page) it's way too dark...way way too dark when i compare it with legit youtube videos of DC30 and a custom shop les paul with same pick ups, to the point the middle or neck position is not usable and makes me sometimes think there might even be smth wrong with the model. (not an opinion to take too serious since i don't know the real amp but the high and low end sounds different than the examples i listen. Breakup and overall characteristics are the same though, it is mostly the 1,5khz and around 4-5k where i hear the difference)

Even with my custom shop telecaster with 50s pickups (or whatever they are called but they are all in the vintage ball park) it is the same. Bridge works, others...dark, lifeless. Ofcourse i can fixed it with pre and post EQ but i am trying to understand this amp since i never played real one before....

And yes, i agree even with that 1 single usable pick up it still sounds great and better than other AC30 type amps, hence i would like to be able to use it with all my guitars and pickup positions :)(without altering the advanced parameters or adding pre/port EQ.

Last edited:
The EF86 matchbox is my favorite amp in the Fractal world. I brighten it up by turning down the cut control.

What are you using to monitor with?

The EF86 matchbox is my favorite amp in the Fractal world. I brighten it up by turning down the cut control.

What are you using to monitor with?
i am in a controlled/calibrated studio environment (Neumann KH310+KH750 Sub...second system is byrston plus NS10m, 3rd Bryston + Auratone)

And i listen the reference recordings also in my studio.

They usually say with similar amps/
like with Morgan AC20 ef86 is for single coils and 12ax7 for humbuckers...(which i agree)

Though in those recordings i mention i believe they use also the ef86 channel with les paul.

And also ef86 channel has that smth special going on compared to 12ax7. Can’t tell what it is, probably more harmonics, smoother break up.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom