Educate me on Celestion G12 V30 speaker (new Matrix/CAB setup)

Lkdog

Power User
I picked up a used Matrix GT1000FX - 2U and am using a 1X12 Cab with a Celestion G12 V30 in it.

Was really curious about trying the AXE FX 3 into a Matrix with a real CAB versus my AXE FX 3 into Yamaha HS8 studio Monitors (which I have generally liked).

Tried some presets today with the CAB on, and then bypassed into the Matrix and 1X12 CAB.
Sounds better with using only the real CAB.

My question is since I am clueless about speakers is what is the signature tone or characteristic of the Celestion G12 V30?

Is there an amp or amps in real life that it is usually paired with?

A related question is for people running a Matrix (or other power amp into a real CAB) is there a preferred all around speaker?

My first impression of this setup is pretty positive.

Back in the day, (1986 when the V30 was introduced) it was primarily Marshall amps/cabs that featured the V30. There's lots of info on the internet as to how and why the V30 came about (existing magnet prices, wanting to get a more vintage type of speaker at a higher rating etc). The sound of the speaker goes well with distorted or overdriven amps. The main rock amp at the time was the JCM800. Not a high gain amp. The V30 with that peak at around 2khz lends itself to accentuating the distortion of the amp kind of giving it a boost almost. Add to that the mid is scooped more than other speakers in my opinion and you get an 80's rock tone. We (Matrix) did a video comparing a V30 clone to the Creamback and you can tell. Rock riffs played on the Creamback lose some of that "grit" compared to a V30. So the V30 is primarily suited to rock and heavier stuff but all that is meaningless if you get a good sound regardless of what amp you pair with it. Be guided by what you think is good and what you think sound ok. As EVH said, "If it sounds good, it IS good".

Thanks. That helps.

Going through the Matrix and real CAB does seem to provide more detail. I adjusted for same volume levels carefully with decibel meter.

Last edited:
V30's are interesting speakers in that some of the best tones I have heard (Guthrie Govan, Slash, Gov't Mule) and the worst (Orange cab with a Marshall MG100, other amps with a V30 in an open back cab) have used V30's. I have an old well worn V30 that I adore, it is just about perfect and sounds great with modelers. IMHO they sound best in closed cabs, need to be broken in to sound their best, and can get very ugly sounding with harsh amps before they get age on them.

I actually cut a section out of the bottom back side of my CAB to make it open back. LOL.
Maybe I iwll screw that piece back on to try it close back. This is an old JET City 1x12 CAB and my guess is this V30 speaker is pretty broke in.

Did some more A/B-ing on some Austin Buddy presets with the Matrix/ V30 CAB versus the Yamaha HS8 monitors. Mostly lower gain Fender and Vox presets with some dirt.

I REALLY like what I am hearing. I am not great at describing tones, but the growl, and low end presence, and detail is increased for sure.
Brings the music more to life at least for me.

This Matrix is nice.

There is probably no speaker out there with more variety than the V30. And I'm not even counting the Marshall Vintage, which technically isn't a V30, but in the same family.

V30's are interesting speakers in that some of the best tones I have heard (Guthrie Govan, Slash, Gov't Mule) and the worst (Orange cab with a Marshall MG100, other amps with a V30 in an open back cab) have used V30's. I have an old well worn V30 that I adore, it is just about perfect and sounds great with modelers. IMHO they sound best in closed cabs, need to be broken in to sound their best, and can get very ugly sounding with harsh amps before they get age on them.
I imagine the combination of Class D power section (which adds a top end harshness) and the extra "grit" the V30 adds, had a lot to do with those awful tones.

Back
Top Bottom