• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Editor 'Save' button / bad checksum

craiguitar

Forum Addict
I have the latest version of the editor working with my Standard.
It does the backup / sync thing OK and I can edit patches from my Axe-Fx on the editor and it updates the changes back to the Axe-Fx in realtime, BUT I cannot SAVE the changes using the 'save' button on the editor. It tries, then says 'bad checksum' on the Axe's display. Also, I cannot audition new presets for the same reason. Strange, as the MIDI connection seems to be working Okay, so why won't it save? Could it be a setting somwhere in the editor which needs changing?

MNG

Inspired
I have this same problem and would love to resolve it. I have had an Ultra for 12 months now and, like you, my midi connection seems fine in that the Editor displays the correct information about my axe and the firmware version - v 9.00.

The tuner works from the PC and I can change and edit patches from the Editor with no problem at all, even re-naming them is fine. The problem comes whenever I try to save anything to the Axe - it fails and the Axe unit displays the bad checksum message. This is not a big deal for editing my own patches as I can do that in the Editor and then just save using the Store button on the Axe-FX. What I cannot do though is load the updated presets or evaluate any of the patches that folk post on this forum or on Axe Exchange.

I have tried 4 midi interfaces (USB and PCMCIA), 3 computers and even different O/S (XP, Vista and Vist 64) - all give the same result. I'm thinking that it must be a setting on the Axe itself but it is a source of frustration as I'd love to be able to load the updated banks. I've raed all of the posts and not found an answer. there are some real experts on here so maybe someone can shed some light?

Other than this, the Axe-FX is the best unit I have ever tried and in conjunction with a Reactor FRFR, it's all I'll ever need.

craiguitar

Forum Addict
So, I downloaded the latest version of Axe-Edit from the FAS site. I was truly hoping it would actually work this time. Nope, still no good. :cry: :cry: :cry:

SteveZ

New here
Yes, same issue, Using an M-Audio UNO USB to MIDI converter.

Get a BAD CHECKSUM banner on the Ultra's screen when trying to download to it.

Using Ultra for a whole two hours now. Brand New! :(

trouble311

Regular
I was having this problem until I went to M-Audio and got THE latest drivers for the UNO. I think it is version 4.3. Then I have to make sure the little "M-Audio" icon is in my taskbar tray (down near the clock), and make sure that in the editor, under Settings - > Audio/Midi Settings, I have the MIDI input set to "Uno USB MIDI In" and the output set to "Uno USB MIDI Out."

I am using Windows XP Service Pack 3, 32-bit version, so if you are using Vista or Win 7, this might not work.

Same problem for me using XP. Everything else seems to be working correctly.

Is anyone from Fractal going to suggest a solution?

SteveZ

New here
trouble311 said:
I was having this problem until I went to M-Audio and got THE latest drivers for the UNO. I think it is version 4.3. Then I have to make sure the little "M-Audio" icon is in my taskbar tray (down near the clock), and make sure that in the editor, under Settings - > Audio/Midi Settings, I have the MIDI input set to "Uno USB MIDI In" and the output set to "Uno USB MIDI Out."

I am using Windows XP Service Pack 3, 32-bit version, so if you are using Vista or Win 7, this might not work.
Yes, BIG difference when newest MidiSport UNO driver installed. WinXP SP2.
Much better!

brains2bits

New here
Hi, thanks for taking the time to report this… sorry for the difficulties you're experiencing with the current beta. Thankfully, a friend was kind enough to lend me his laptop which seems to exhibit this problem so that I can replicate it and try to isolate the cause. Hopefully I can come up with a solution before he needs the laptop back ;) ITMT, it probably can't hurt to make sure all your drivers are up to date.

Tom

Inspired
Aside from MNG, have the rest of you tried different interfaces? I've had my Axe-FX for almost a year, and while I could get it communicating with the computer, I was never able to successfully save anything to the Axe-FX through my M-Audio Delta 1010LT. I tried everything I could to no avail. I recently got a PreSonus box for the laptop I'll be getting soon, though, and when I tried it with the same computer, it worked beautifully, and I was able to update from 7.04 (I think) to 9.0. It seems some play better with the Axe than others.

brains2bits said:
Hi, thanks for taking the time to report this… sorry for the difficulties you're experiencing with the current beta. Thankfully, a friend was kind enough to lend me his laptop which seems to exhibit this problem so that I can replicate it and try to isolate the cause. Hopefully I can come up with a solution before he needs the laptop back ;) ITMT, it probably can't hurt to make sure all your drivers are up to date.
Thanks, it is heartening to know that someone is working on qualifying the problem and finding a solution. We will wait and watch!

brains2bits

New here
Well, fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on your POV), the issue does appear to be driver related (at least on the test machine I was loaned), and resolved simply by updating the driver from the vendor website. The problem exhibited itself exactly as the original poster described: Transfers IN work (e.g. receiving bank dumps from the hardware), while transfers OUT do not (e.g. sending presets to the hardware) resulting in "bad checksum" errors, so I'm fairly confident this is the cause.

Specifically, in the case of this particular machine, the device was using the generic OS USB audio/MIDI driver which is known for having problems with certain tasks (on Windows at least). You can verify if this is the case in the Axe-Edit settings dialog which would show "USB Audio Device" as the MIDI input and output device. However, I suppose it's possible this may say something different if you have installed custom drivers for the device which still rely on the generic OS driver in the stack for MIDI. You should be able to determine this by looking for "usbaudio.sys" in the "Driver Details" for the device in device manager.

If you're not sure, or you have the latest drivers installed and the problem still exists, send me your Axe-Edit.settings file (this contains your device information and is located in your "C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\Fractal Audio" folder) to beta@brains2bits.com.

Unfortunately it's quite possible the vendor drivers themselves are glitchy. If it helps, I regularly test against the M-Audio USB and Firewire audio/MIDI interfaces, the E-MU USB MIDI interfaces, and several other random devices from other vendors (as a cross-section of vendor driver bases). I gave up on testing various internal PCI devices long ago.

Thanks for looking into it. I think my device does, as you say, have a driver which relies on the Windows driver.

I am not sure if everything else does work correctly. I'm using the Beta version and these are my first uses of the software so I am not 100% that what I am doing is right as there does not appear to be a User Manual for the Beta version. Is there one, or does the "old' manual on Axe-Wiki still apply?

One problem is that if I transfer a Bank from Axe > Axe Edit (or a single preset), all I get is a bunch of ? next to the preset numbers in Preset Manager. I am looking at the RH screen. And when I try to leave it, I get a message like "source changes are not saved", with the option of discard or cancel, and have to exit the program to be able to leave that screen (to avoid discarding presets marked ? one by one). This might just be me, as I am new to the software.

But what you say about the limitations of the Windows driver seems likely, especially when interface driver relies on the internal Windows Driver. Which does seem to be the as my converter cable says that it loads its driver on installation, but "USB Audio Device" is what shows up in Axe Edit. I'll confirm that at home later. There is also a fair bit on the net about issues with USB-MDI drivers and I'll lookinto that more before troubling anyone else with it.

A couple more questions though (I'm prety sure the answer to first two is no, but here goes anyway::
1. Before I do all the Googling mentioned above, are you aware of any fixes/updates available for the Windows Driver, and where I might find it?
2. I want to use a straight converter cable (since I already have a recording interface, that is not MIDI capable). Are you are aware of any that work OK with Windows XP?
3. I have hear read somewhere that a lot of issues can be bypassed by skipping the USB altogether and instead plugging a MIDI cable into the joystick port found on many PCs (incluing mine), with the appropriate converter. Are you aware of if/how this can be done?

Cheers, Phil

brains2bits

New here
fearlessflier said:
A couple more questions though (I'm prety sure the answer to first two is no, but here goes anyway::
1. Before I do all the Googling mentioned above, are you aware of any fixes/updates available for the Windows Driver, and where I might find it?
2. I want to use a straight converter cable (since I already have a recording interface, that is not MIDI capable). Are you are aware of any that work OK with Windows XP?
3. I have hear read somewhere that a lot of issues can be bypassed by skipping the USB altogether and instead plugging a MIDI cable into the joystick port found on many PCs (incluing mine), with the appropriate converter. Are you aware of if/how this can be done?
1. No. AFAIK, the Windows generic driver has problems with certain MIDI functions across the board (in all versions of Windows, except maybe 7(?)). IMO, don't bother... see #2.
2. Yes. Most, if not all, do... certainly the ones I mentioned; the M-Audio Uno and the E-MU 1x1 are "straight" USB to MIDI adapters, and both work fine on XP.
3. Maybe. I dunno, I haven't tried that in years. Theoretically, yes, I suppose this can be done (probably with varying degrees of success depending on hardware & software used to translate "fire button" into "Bank_A.syx"). Again, IMO, don't bother... see #2.

Thanks, I guess I did not research properly - I thought m-Audio Uno was more than a USB adaptor. My mistake.

I notice in other posts, one user has tried 4 different adaptors and had the problem every time. I'll ask him which ones. Another has m-Audio Uno and latest drivers fixed the issue, yet another has the same and new drivers did not fix it.

Seems like ther's still a bit of mystery. What a headache.

MNG said:
I have this same problem and would love to resolve it. I have had an Ultra for 12 months now and, like you, my midi connection seems fine in that the Editor displays the correct information about my axe and the firmware version - v 9.00.

The tuner works from the PC and I can change and edit patches from the Editor with no problem at all, even re-naming them is fine. The problem comes whenever I try to save anything to the Axe - it fails and the Axe unit displays the bad checksum message. This is not a big deal for editing my own patches as I can do that in the Editor and then just save using the Store button on the Axe-FX. What I cannot do though is load the updated presets or evaluate any of the patches that folk post on this forum or on Axe Exchange.

I have tried 4 midi interfaces (USB and PCMCIA), 3 computers and even different O/S (XP, Vista and Vist 64) - all give the same result. I'm thinking that it must be a setting on the Axe itself but it is a source of frustration as I'd love to be able to load the updated banks. I've raed all of the posts and not found an answer. there are some real experts on here so maybe someone can shed some light?

Other than this, the Axe-FX is the best unit I have ever tried and in conjunction with a Reactor FRFR, it's all I'll ever need.

I have same issue using a cheap Chinese adaptor. I might try a m-Audio Uno or E-MU 1x1. What were the 4 intefraces you tried?

MNG

Inspired
I suspect that brains2bits is right and that it is driver related.

I have a home studio using a Vista 64 PC with the Sonar VS700 console and IO box and am using the most up to date drivers for that but with little joy - can't even recognize the Axe Unit.

Using the same PC but with a cheap CME U2 USB to midi cable, I am almost there apart from writing to the Axe FX where the Bad Checksum comes into play. Using the same midi cable on a laptop running Vista 32 and also a laptop running XP all yield the same result. Same driver in each instance.

Finally, using the XP laptop hooked into a EMU 1616M IO box via PCMCIA which, after the latest Axe-Edit software version (0.9.99) I have got working in totality - no Badchecksum and I can write to the Axe-FX. It works, but it's not ideal as I've got to plug in the laptop and IO box plus all the associated wiring, so it's a bit messy but at least it works. It used to also work with the old Lars Editor but not with the new Fractal Edit software until the latest release. So it is a little puzzling.

Anyway, I've just successfully installed the latest Ultra Firmware update at 9.02 and can't wait to try out the BB Pre Amp which is my favorite drive pedal. This stuff is just genius - I sometimes think Cliff must read my mind. Everytime I wish the Axe had something, there it is in a firmware update. Just like my Old Vetta 2.5........ ;)

h2guy

New here
I thought I'd jump in here and help out. I was suffering the same frustration w/ Axe Edit not writing banks and showing "Bad Checksum" on the Axe's screen.

Specs:
WinXP Pro SP3
Midisport 2x2 Anniversary Ed.
Midisport driver v6.0.0_5.10.0.5131 downloaded from M-Audio.com & installed
Axe-Fx Standard w/ 9.02 FW
Axe Edit 0.9.102

I hadn't had problems in the past w/ this midi unit, but a some point I realized I could no longer save banks. I thought at first it was a bug/issue w/ Axe Edit. One item that caught my attention was the fact that WinXP was listing the Midisport 2x2 as a "USB Audio Device". This turned out to be the problem.

In order to support long sysex messages (which apparently the editor requires for some functions?), the Midisport drivers need to be installed. Thing was, I had the drivers installed. The problem lies w/ M-Audio's crappy implementation of the driver installer. Here's the fix:

1. In WinXP go to the computer management screen (r-click on My Computer -> Manage)
2. Click on Device Manager -> Sound, Video and Game Controllers
3. r-click on "USB Audio Device" -> Properties -> Driver tab -> Update Driver... -> choose "Install from a List or Specific Location"
4. choose "Don't Search, I Will Choose the Driver to Install" -> on the list you should see "M-Audio Midisport 2x2 Anniversary Edition" (or similar, based on your device) -> choose the correct device and let Windows load the drivers and 'discover' it.

At this point the "USB Audio Device" should be renamed/replaced with the M-Audio device and long sysex messaging will work. NOTE: At one point my M-Audio driver was working fine, but WinXP automagically replaced these drivers with the generic Win USB Audio driver. Also note that when you configure midi settings in Axe Edit, you should now see "M-Audio 2x2 Anniv In A|B" and "M-Audio 2x2 Anniv Out A|B" (or similar for your device), for input and output, respectively.

I can assume that this methodology will hold true for any midi device that otherwise is deferring to the generic Window's drivers and is definitely an item to check if you're experiencing firmware upgrade or other checksum issues w/ Axe Edit. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or there's something I missed.

Cheers

Top Bottom