Editing Mark Day's HBE patch question

wake911

Experienced
So, I dig mark's patch a lot for leads(is one of 2 goto lead patches actually), but i don't like using it as is for Rythym playing due to the delay. But when i turn off the delay, it shoots the volume up substantially due to their being three levels of effects
Delay
thru
Reverb

How would I go about breaking that apart into a single, linear effect stream(realizing i would either be reverbing my delay, or delaying my reverb) so that i could turn off the delay for a rythym tone, and turn it back on for leads? I know most folks dig this patch, and many people set up patches this way(parrallel effects), but i've always been a liner patch (and amp and pedal) creator, amd have brick walled trying to get this to sound very similar and work the volumes.

Edit: this is more about patch creation with the axe, than this specific patch, which is why i put it in the axe II forum, not the patch request forum.

Instead of setting your IA to bypass the delay, set it so that it changes the delay block's input level (to nothing). The delay block will remain in the chain (and your levels will stay stable), but there will not be any delay effect.

I always do that with delays (except I use an expression pedal as a continuous controller to dial in as little or as much delay as I want). I never bypass the delay block.

Post the patch and I'll give you a tip. Probably as simple as changing the bypass mode to MUTE FX IN (or MUTE IN if that delay is in parallel.)

Post the patch and I'll give you a tip. Probably as simple as changing the bypass mode to MUTE FX IN (or MUTE IN if that delay is in parallel.)

It's #370 Mark Day's HBE, stock. It is showing (per axe-edit) that the bypass mode is "thru" so it sounds like changing those to Mute In will do exactly what Dpoirier was saying but without having to edit my IA button?....I'll have to try that when i get home after work.

Yes exactly, when I made the preset, I totally forgot about the delay and reverb bypass states. I did the preset pretty quickly and the bypass state was an oversight on my part....my apologies :)

It was a whoopsie lol

Mark

Yes exactly, when I made the preset, I totally forgot about the delay and reverb bypass states. I did the preset pretty quickly and the bypass state was an oversight on my part....my apologies :)

It was a whoopsie lol

Mark

But really, it's a good learning experience. I never knew those bypass states really meant anything different. ssweet patch, gonna try to adjust just slightly. Thanks Mark!!

I've only had my Axe-FX II a few days. Why is the patch set up with the effects a row above the main line? I love that patch by the way. Sounds great!

I've only had my Axe-FX II a few days. Why is the patch set up with the effects a row above the main line? I love that patch by the way. Sounds great!

I like to run things in parallel, to duplicate my tube rigs. Not necessary just the way I lay things out. Make sure you set the reverb and delay blocks' bypass state to mute IN. I goofed up and forgot to do that when I built the preset :)

Try the preset I uploaded in this thread and let me know if you like it ")

Mark

is that a new preset mark or one of the others youve posted, cause I have one or 2 of HBE.1 already, Im goin to get confuuuuuuuuuuuuuuused. ps any chance you recorded your lay it down sessions for youtube?

Mark, the new patch sounds wrong. Something isn't meshing with my setup (straight to studio monitors) there is an amazing amount of hiss and noise. Is there a global noisegate that maybe you messed with that I didn't touch? I mean comparing the 2 there are only slight changes in drive, presence are really the 2 big ones. I just don't understand why it sounds bad. Can anyone else comment? I will try making the cahnges myself and see if there is just something not connecting.

Mark, the new patch sounds wrong. Something isn't meshing with my setup (straight to studio monitors) there is an amazing amount of hiss and noise. Is there a global noisegate that maybe you messed with that I didn't touch? I mean comparing the 2 there are only slight changes in drive, presence are really the 2 big ones. I just don't understand why it sounds bad. Can anyone else comment? I will try making the cahnges myself and see if there is just something not connecting.

Check your input gate make sure it's active. I've had some issues were I would loose the input noise gate settings on certain presets. Adjust and re-save :)

Mark

I've read from an other post that my version of Axe Edit wasn't saving the input gate....so set the gate for your guitar and it should be fine. I was wondering why my gate was playing hide and seek at times..lol.

Mark

EDIT: Here is the preset with adjustments. Also added a Vol/Pan block. I use External 1 midi cc11 for the expression pedal connected to exp1 of the MFC. I have turned OFF OUT 1 and OUT 2 CTRL in the Axe2's I/O.
The noise gate is saved now. OUT 1 to DAW and OUT 2 to poweramp and guitar cab.

If you get no sound and you don't want to use an exp pedal for volume then replace the vol/pan block with a shunt.

Attachments

• Mark Day's HBE1 out2.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Kickass Mark, changing the gate on my preset(I hardly ever use axe edit) pulled it in nicely. Killer lead patch Mark. Thanks for sharing.

Mark,
I noticed that the first GEQ has a similar shape to the one in the amp block. Do you find you really need both or can you just tweak the amp EQ block and get similar results. I understand the reason for GEQ2 for your power amp/cab needs, but what about GEQ1? Not that you're running low on CPU in Axe II, just asking!

Back
Top Bottom