Edited presets are causing my AXE ro reboot

rickbarclay

Inspired
Hello, again. Tonight, with the wife away at work I thought it would be a good idea to to do some
preset editing and crank up the volume on the AXE. So, I did some drastic editing in the Axe Editor,
cranked up the volume and let 'er rip. I'm trying to get some nice little fuzzy distortion in my presets
that has up to this point eluded me. I'm new to the AXE, but I've been reading here, there, and everywhere
about audio production and how to get those nice Metallica-like tones we all crave. My editing session
went well. I got one nice tone out of the Brit 800 and got something fuzzy but a little off what I'm looking for
out of the Plexi Treble. When I say I edited drastically, I mean I turned every switch and knob of every page
back and forth 360 degrees. After about two hours, I had good tone out of the Brit 800 and just wailed my
guitar on that preset for about 90 minutes, until my wife got home. Everything was fine, and I was happy.

Then, I turned everything off and went to greet wifey. I'm runnning a 4 CM with a power amp and cab on one side
and a combo amp through Output 1. I've been using this setup for a week or so with no problems. Anyway, after
saying "Hi" to my spouse, I notice that she's brought home the mail, which happened to include a Mission SP-1
that I bought second hand online. So, I'm all excited now, and go back upstairs to try out the new equipment.
I plugged a cable into the AXE's pedal port and plugged the other end into output one of the Mission pedal and
booted everything up.

The pedal didn't work, which I half expected, because there's a connection process to follow. Fine, so I unplugged
from the AXE and started reading the manual. That's when I noticed something something very bad happening:
my AXE FX 2 was rebooting itself over and over and over. WTF? So I powered down and rebooted manually. Up
comes the preset. The AXE again reboots on its own--again and again. So I power down again and remove the
USB cord. I reboot. The thing still reboots itself. So I go to the manual's troubleshooting section. Under "My
AXE is acting erratically," I'm instructed to reboot the AXE while holding the RECALL button. I do this and power up
the AXE.

The AXE boots and holds steady. I'm hopeful (but I'm also old and skeptical). So I power up the amps and AXE Edit and
start poking around. What's happening is whenever I'm in a preset that I did not edit tonight, everything works fine,
but as soon as I turn on either one of the two presets I edited tonight, my AXE FX II will run for about 30 seconds and
then reboots. So...when I first realized where the problem is, I tried a few things, namely bypassing the amp block, whaich
didn't work. Then I bypassed both the amp and the drive blocks; then I bypassed the GEQ block. Finally, I bypassed every block
in the preset. Guess what? It still reboots itself--even with everything bypassed. If I change to the next preset, it's all good.
But if I use either of the two presets I edited tonight, it reboots.

Anybody got any ideas as to what the problem might be and a fix for it? Without having to overwrite the two presets? I really don't
want to lose them if I can help it. But if that's the only way then it is what it is. But dialing in these presets is no mean task,
and it's very frustrating to lose data that took much time and effort to acquire. So, if you can help me solve this problem and keep
my hard earned presets, I would be much obliged, indeed. Sorry for the windy post. Thanks to all.

Must be some kind of corruption in your preset. Upload it and see if someone can find out what the issue might be. If its multidelay related install the new FW13.01

I have a similar problem, axe edit times out with global block param and axe freezes up.
i am using 13.01 still freezing.

Thanx, Mr. Admin. No longer rebooting my edited presets. Will test them later today when wifey's at work.

Those other files: I need Cab Lab to install them, do I not? Are those IR files designed to get me my Metallica tone?
With the 4CM I'm not using cab blocks, so perhaps you can clue me in as to how to use them.

My one other problem: the mentioned Mission SP 1 dosen't want to work. I calibrated it, assigned it to Ext Control 1, pedal, yadayada.
But when I test the wahwah edit page and bring up the graph, that little ball dosen't want to move. No sound from the pedal. I did at one
time sort of have it working, but what was happening was the block was making wah wah sounds on its own with no input from the
expression pedal. I changed a setting as per the manual, but it ain't working. I tried switching cables and recalibrated after installing the
FW update. No good. I've tried both outputs of the pedal. Nope. I'll search Mission, but if you could throw me a bone I'd be much
appreciative. Thanks again.

Santas Pelotas de Caca!!??

Last edited:
Hey. just installed 13.00, AE 3.00.04, windows 8

FAS BASS amp, click on "Fat", "whoosh" sound, "garble" and loud noise, AXE II crashes, AXE II reboots.

Any preset, cleared or edited.

Hey. just installed 13.00, AE 3.00.04, windows 8

FAS BASS amp, click on "Fat", "whoosh" sound, "garble" and loud noise, AXE II crashes, AXE II reboots.

Any preset, cleared or edited.

Known bug, for now don't engage FAT in that model.

I had a few freeze ups myself last night. In my case it was just going from a patch I had just created and been editing with AE to the next patch which was blank by using the arrow button to go up to the next preset. Pretty simple presets being created, drive, amp, cab, delay, reverb just to fiddle around with the hi-res cabs. AE would get a communication error and the Axe would freeze with the display kind of grayed out. Different led's stuck on each time. Kind of surprising as my system has always been very solid. Weird thing was I couldn't make it happen by just changing presets. So it seems to be only after editing a patch with AE for a while. I'll try the 13.01 today.

Back
Top Bottom