EDIT: User Error: FM9-Edit changing amp models in scenes when editing, saving, and switching presets

Lopp

Inspired
I might be making mistakes, but this seems to have happened a couple of times.

Definitely NOT the best way of doing this, but I was comparing amp models in the same scene in two copies of the same preset:

1. Select different, but similar amp models in same scene in different presets, e.g., Friedman BE 2010 and Friedman BE C45, both in scene 3 in different presets.
2. Change a parameter and save the preset.
3. Switch to the copy preset with the original parameter in the same scene to hear the difference.

I swear FM9-Edit changed the amp type in a different scene.

For example, I had different variations of the same Friedman in scene 3 and the same Jazz 120 in scene 2. I would change a parameter of one Friedman, save it, then swap to the other preset to compare it. However, it seems the Jazz 120 in scene 2 somehow switched to one of the Friedman models I was using. I might have accidentally done it myself, but it happened at least twice.

Since I might be the idiot, please let me know if there is a way to copy one scene from one preset to another preset that has the exact same amp blocks. I have a backup of the preset, but I did extensive tweaks to the different amp model of the Friedman in the other, which I prefer, but that one replaced the Jazz 120 with the Friedman in another scene and I would have to retweak the Jazz 120 all over again to change it back.

This wouldn't be such a pain but there is NO way to simply change an amp model to a variation of the exact same amp while maintaining all the parameters.

One thing that could be useful would be to allow us to selectively copy selected the settings in an amp block and paste them into another amp block. Mainly, copy all the parameters except the amp type and paste them into another block with the desired amp type for comparison.

Alternatively, please allow us to change the amp type while maintaining all the other parameters.

Thank you for taking the time to read about my issue, be it a FM9-Edit issue and/or a personal issue. ;)

EDIT: It just happened again, but it changed the Friedman to the Jazz 120 in the scene. Fortunately, I didn't save it. Maybe I am sleep-deprived and doing it myself.

EDIT: Almost guaranteed to be user error. Since getting the Axe-Fx in 2008, I've always switched presets and didn't use scenes until recently getting the FM9. I'm still in a learning curve with scenes and trying to figure out how to easily compare different models of the same amp with the same settings.

Last edited:
I would stay in the same preset and use different channels in the amp block to compare. Make a preset just for that kind of test. Nothing to do with the issue mentioned (which I’ve never experienced), but might be a better workflow.

I would stay in the same preset and use different channels in the amp block to compare. Make a preset just for that kind of test. Nothing to do with the issue mentioned (which I’ve never experienced), but might be a better workflow.

Thanks. Yeah, I know there are better ways of doing it. I was originally going to use two instances of an amp block, but using different channels would likely be more efficient. Thanks for the tip.

Now, the question is: once I find one I like with all the settings I like, how do I copy that into a scene of a preset that already is set up in a desired manner with all the other channels being used? I still might need to use two amp blocks in that preset to do it.

You might be thinking of channels, which are often used in conjunction with scenes.
Thanks for the tip. I am already using different channels in different scenes, so that is likely not the issue. Still, it was good to point out something that might be obvious, but still caused the error.

Kind of like when you call tech support when something isn't working and they first ask whether it is plugged in.
"Of course it is plugged in! I... Oh. Oops."

Not that it has ever happened to me. Really. I swear that never happened! Why are you looking at me like that???

You might be thinking of channels, which are often used in conjunction with scenes.
Actually, that could have been my inadvertent mistake, but instead of thinking about channels, I WASN'T thinking with respect to channels and accidentally switched the channels when switching presets, and then re-tweaked it thinking it was the desired channel.

Actually, that could have been my inadvertent mistake, but instead of thinking about channels, I WASN'T thinking with respect to channels and accidentally switched the channels when switching presets, and then re-tweaked it thinking it was the desired channel.
Yup. That was about what I was going to say. If the channels are switched within the saved scene, the amp blocks will default to an entirely separate amp, regardless of what preset or scene is saved. It's not always that easy to remember what channel (A, B, C or D) is associated with your preferred scene. The wonderful thing is when you have that light bulb moment and things make sense. No fun being in the dark, unless you're eating a bucket of fried chicken with your shirt off...

Back
Top Bottom