[EDIT] Perseverance landing video

only thing i don't understand is why they chose a deserted area instead of a populated one... first contact could have happened waaaaaay faster. Could have been a bit shy because of the technology?!?
glad to be living in these times 🙃

I’m glad to see they’ve upgraded the cameras in the studio they used to fake the moon landings!😀

The reason they didn’t land in a populated area is because of the pandemic. You can’t hire enough extras right now and the ones you can would be wearing masks.

That would be a dead giveaway!

Last edited:
That's just excellent. The dust is a real PITA. Would've loved to see the guide wires disconnect.
(EDIT: If you look closely you can see the wire retract.)

Seeing that sky-crane ascend away; just incredible.

An elegant solution to gently placing that enormous vehicle on a hostile planet. So impressive.

Landing zone looks like there's years worth of science to do in each square mile.

Last edited:
If it goes like this they might discover the Galactic Federation base on there, complete with US government personnel. 😂

As long as they don't find some buried spidery Shadow Vessel, I'm good with it.

latest

Last edited:
I'm sure people will find something wrong with this. All I can think of is, there are millions of teens watching this and deciding to become engineers. And some of them will actually go through with it.

I was one of those kids watching the shuttle launches in 1980, hearing terms like on-board computers, software, roll maneuvers, redundant systems, 18 million lines of code...etc. I didn't become an 'engineer' per-se, but I did choose my college and university programs because of those shuttle launches and they led me to a career in tech.!

Same. A lot of my friends wanted to do something technical inspired by the space race. Much like today a lot of kids want to work on computer games, which to me seems like a much less valuable thing to do, from the standpoint of what’s valuable to our civilization.

I agree with the @Toopy14 and @plexi59🤝. My fascination with space and the popularity of the space race also influenced my career choice. However, I don't think that I'd start studying languages or literature if the space race wasn't so popular. It doesn't matter tho. Anyway, I'm glad that my life is connected to technology and engineering, so I do not just watch landings, static fire tests, and other events as an everyman. I understand how it works, and it's amazing.
I suppose that Perseverance landing is the beginning of a new stage in space exploration because now we have an upgraded rover with high-quality cameras and instruments. Moreover, we even have a helicopter on Mars:eek:. I can't wait to see what spacecraft scientists will design next.

^ He gets it. Let's spend money on inspirational nonsense instead of droning people who aren't a threat to us (for 20+ years!). We could even retool the military industrial complex to help out. Heck, some of it (Aerojet Rocketdyne, Boeing, some others) already does help. Everybody wins.

A view of the helicopter, after the debris shield, protecting the helicopter, was ejected.

NASA Tweet...

"Away goes the debris shield, and here’s our first look at the helicopter. It’s stowed sideways, folded up and locked in place, so there’s some reverse origami to do before I can set it down. First though, I’ll be off to the designated “helipad,” a couple days’ drive from here."

1616425024759.png

Back
Top Bottom