EDIT: Justin Timberlake - "My Love" Chord harmony inversions / Synth Sound

P****Fred

Hello,
Would it be possible to do something like this with the pitch or synth block, or another block for that matter? (see attachment, please)

Basically it's a chord going up (first inversion, second inversion, root position, root position octave above).

I would create the pattern by using two delays, one with one repeat on a 16th note, and another one with one repeat on a 8th note, but I'm not sure of how to create the harmonies

I hope my explanation is clear :)
thanks a lot!!

_____

EDIT:

the first phase (chord inversions via pitch block) is clear.
But the end result should be the synth sound/rhythm pattern in the song "My Love" by Justin Timberlake.
Is this doable?
Thanks everyone!

Attachments

• Schermafbeelding 2018-12-12 om 23.38.54.png
    Schermafbeelding 2018-12-12 om 23.38.54.png
    34.1 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Do you need just this one progression or do you need it to be diatonic/intelligent?

Intel. Harm. mode can do that with a custom 6-note scale where every other note forms the desired triad, like E-F#-G-A-B-D. The harmony values will be +/- 3 or 5 depending on which part you want to play.

Note that the example scale also gets any inversion of a D chord. Different notes might be useful at times, depending on the part. For example you could get E & F triads with E-F-G-A-B-C.

To get all 3 chords you could make the scale E-F#-G-A-B-C#. Set key to E during the Em chord, then switch key to A for Am and Bm chords.

To get all 3 chords you could make the scale E-F#-G-A-B-C#. Set key to E during the Em chord, then switch key to A for Am and Bm chords.

No, just use the key of G major, which has the triads you're looking for.

You can't do what you're after on the AX8. I might be able to do it on the Axe-Fx III, but getting the chords to change inversions would require multiple pitch blocks/channels and multiple custom scales because the same note has different harmonies. Take the E in your A minor triad. It needs to be harmonized there with A and C. But that same pitch needs to be harmonized with G and B for your E minor chord. You'd need to switch between several different custom scales.

Arpeggios might have a suitable musical effect. If the arrangement allows in, get creative with your playing and effects. If not, turn off the effects and play the part as written with your fingers.

Last edited:
Here's something I whipped up in about 2 minutes with one pitch block. It does not have your ascending quality, but it IS something you could do easily on the AX8. It uses a diatonic shifter set to Root, 10th, 5th, with delays of 1/4, 1/4 dot and 1/2 (which is at least the same pulse pattern as your example). In the second part I turn on a simple 1/8 dot delay. Some chorus and plex delay for grease.

Who knows. Just trying to inspire.

No, just use the key of G major, which has the triads you're looking for.

Just choosing G major won't work for each inversion of any one chord because you need a mix of 3rds and 4ths.

Setting up what I described above with the 6-note custom scale and a method to switch key between E and A will get the exact type of harmony described in the OP. Here's an Axe-FX II preset (convert to AX8 w/ Fractool) with pitch X & Y states configured for the two keys. (A key modifier could be used if you wanted to save one state for something else.) I panned the dry/pitch signals L/R but you could remove the volume block and adjust pitch mix/balance to have dry centered.

wFbgdIA.png

Attachments

• Em Am Bm harmony XY.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 32
Here's something I whipped up in about 2 minutes with one pitch block. It does not have your ascending quality, but it IS something you could do easily on the AX8. It uses a diatonic shifter set to Root, 10th, 5th, with delays of 1/4, 1/4 dot and 1/2 (which is at least the same pulse pattern as your example). In the second part I turn on a simple 1/8 dot delay. Some chorus and plex delay for grease.

Who knows. Just trying to inspire.

Mastermind ,,,,,it sounds Great especially 2 minutes of the "Genius "

Hi everybody,
I think I'll go with Bakerman's ideas.
I'll try to post my patch when I'm ready.
Thanks a lot for the great input!
This is a great community!! :)

Excellent job Bakerman! I had forgotten that the AX8 allowed a custom scale inside the Intelligent shifter!

Last edited:
So, the first phase (chord inversions via pitch block) is clear.
But the end result should be the synth sound/rhythm pattern in the song "My Love" by Justin Timberlake.
Is this doable?
Thanks everyone!

It's possible to create the rhythm with sequencer and a level modifier. Sequencer should switch between 0% and 100% wherever a new attack is required, and the level modifier should dip to 0 in the middle with some damping when that happens. Alternatively you could avoid dealing with tempo/sync by playing the actual rhythm. It might be easier to get the right amount of staccato w/ fingers rather than a pick.

Attachments

• Synth 16-16-8 pulse.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 25
That's awesome!

If I'm correct, I can add a envelope modifier to the "RUN" knob in the sequencer, to get the sequencer to start from the moment I pick a note, right?

Any ideas on how to get the filter swells?
The challenge there is to open them up from the start of the bar, to the end of the bar.
I was thinking about picking dynamics (envelope) to trigger a restart of an LFO or something, but I'm not sure :)

Thanks for all your help!!

Last edited:
That's awesome!

If I'm correct, I can add a envelope modifier to the "RUN" knob in the sequencer, to get the sequencer to start from the moment I pick a note, right?

Any ideas on how to get the filter swells?
The challenge there is to open them up from the start of the bar, to the end of the bar.
I was thinking about picking dynamics (envelope) to trigger a restart of an LFO or something, but I'm not sure :)

Thanks for all your help!!

Use a filter block. Change the frequency with an LFO. Have the LFO tempo sync'd to a half/whole note.

Back
Top Bottom