Eddie's 'Balance' Stereo Rhythm enigma

Knightmare

Inspired
Hi folks

While there is a ton of threads regarding Van Halen's tone on the Balance album I'm still trying to nail that Eventide stereo effect on his rhythm parts.
I am currently using the Dual detune (Panned L/R of course and +6 /-6 Detune) but when I A/B with say the song 'Don't tell me' it doesn't seem as wide (not talking about the flanger intro just the verse with chords and the percussive muting.
There seems to be a lot of information on the web but a lot of it is conflicting information (wet/dry/wet etc... vs H3000 added in mixing)
Wondering if anyone can help, the parts really do sound like tight doubles but I know that Eddie rarely doubled rhythm parts.
Thanks in advance folks!

I have the eventide plugins ,i too was trying for that tone ,Eventide , Leon todd gave me some pointers ( on the threads here ) I solved it ,I bought a eventide micro pitch 😜. I kind of got it with a chorus in the fm3 .
Try this. I have an H3500 and these settings are dead on;

Pitch type Dual Chromatic

Detune 1 +9c
Delay 1 between 3 and 8ms
Pan 1 -100
Detune 2 -9c
Delay 2 between 25 and 30ms
Pan 2 100
Shift 1 and 2 at 0
Pitch tracking off
Tracking 2
Low Cut 20hz
Hight Cut 20khz

Don't be afraid to use the mix above 50%, use the level control to compensate. Make sure you're in stereo!

Example in action;

Hi folks

While there is a ton of threads regarding Van Halen's tone on the Balance album I'm still trying to nail that Eventide stereo effect on his rhythm parts.
I am currently using the Dual detune (Panned L/R of course and +6 /-6 Detune) but when I A/B with say the song 'Don't tell me' it doesn't seem as wide (not talking about the flanger intro just the verse with chords and the percussive muting.
There seems to be a lot of information on the web but a lot of it is conflicting information (wet/dry/wet etc... vs H3000 added in mixing)
Wondering if anyone can help, the parts really do sound like tight doubles but I know that Eddie rarely doubled rhythm parts.
Thanks in advance folks!
Try this:

Or this:

Back
Top Bottom