Eddie Van Halen Interview at the Smithsonian

You are talking about some vids from the 2007-2008 &/or the tour a few years earlier than that as well........he was still seriously messed up then. After that '07-'08 tour he got sober & beat tongue cancer.

He was back to playing his ass off every show on the last tour a few years ago. Everyone said he played as well as he ever did.

Get your facts straight & get over your Michael Anthony butthurt........shit happens & Mike had a great run.

I don't remember insulting you in my posts. Seriously, chill the eff out. I have an opinion just like you. You don't like mine, that's no a problem. And I've seen some Youtubes much more recently than 2008. I was also seriously unimpressed with VH's last record. Horrible songs, horrible production. Just terrible all the way around, AND everyone agreed. How did you enjoy that record? Did you even buy it?

Aside from my personal opinions of Eddie over the years (which I will say have gone progressively worse with time), the guy's music (classic DLR-era) still kills me every single time!

There have been a lot of bad moves, IMO, by him over the years and he has not always been a model citizen... But the same can be said of most high profile rock stars.

However you want to look at it, he innovated a new style of playing and influenced multiple generations of musicians.

This interview was really cool. I agree that he seemed very humble and grounded. I thoroughly enjoyed it :)

This nails my thoughts as well.

Now that I'm older I can't help but think back and remember what my uncle was telling me about the Beetles, Floyd, Zep, Yes, Zappa, Cream, Sabbath etc. He'd tell me to forget Kiss and check these guys out. (Pre VH-1976) all I wanted to listen to and cared about was Kiss. I remember thinking that those bands were cool but they just didn't grab my interest like Kiss did. I've told this story here before but a friend of mine plays Eruption for me (1978) and says "This guy is better than Ace Frehley!". Of course my reply was "You're shit'n me! That's not even a guitar!". So at that point Kiss was de-throned - well not to mention that was about the time of Dynasty and Unmasked. So they kinda de-throned themselves. But then all I could listen to was VH.

Then I remember thinking that I didn't like some of the early rock just because it didn't sound modern. In some cases not as much distortion or definition. At the time what I perceived as poor/old recording quality or styles. I'd listen to Hendrix and Page and obviously like some of the stuff but I remember thinking that the guitars would often be out of tune or the solo's were really sloppy etc. What I did like about those guys were their fire and energy.

I just could not get into it as much as VH. In my mind it was like someone giving you the keys to a <insert your fav sports car here> as well as the keys to an old beat up truck and say drive which ever you want when you want. Back then I would've driven the sports car most of the time although the pickup would have some uses as well.

So fast forward to the present. I can't help but think that some of the younger players perceive VH the same way. Tired old tap tricks that was all the rage with the 80's hair bands. You just can't fully appreciate ground breaking techniques/inventions unless you lived it I guess. Much like we take electricity for granted.

Eddie mentioned he liked/listened to Clapton during Cream and then lost interest. I lost interest in Eddie after the Roth era. I still picked up most of the Hagar era albums. The Hagar era for me was the end of my fav Eddie and the beginning of something different. It was no longer the sports car it previously was.

And for the record, as I gained more experience with the guitar I found the real gems in other players and styles of music new and old. I'm now just as happy listening to an old scratchy Robert Johnson tune as I am listening to the latest Foo Fighters or whatever.

Ramble On \m/

This nails my thoughts as well.

Now that I'm older I can't help but think back and remember what my uncle was telling me about the Beetles, Floyd, Zep, Yes, Zappa, Cream, Sabbath etc. He'd tell me to forget Kiss and check these guys out. (Pre VH-1976) all I wanted to listen to and cared about was Kiss. I remember thinking that those bands were cool but they just didn't grab my interest like Kiss did. I've told this story here before but a friend of mine plays Eruption for me (1978) and says "This guy is better than Ace Frehley!". Of course my reply was "You're shit'n me! That's not even a guitar!". So at that point Kiss was de-throned - well not to mention that was about the time of Dynasty and Unmasked. So they kinda de-throned themselves. But then all I could listen to was VH.

Then I remember thinking that I didn't like some of the early rock just because it didn't sound modern. In some cases not as much distortion or definition. At the time what I perceived as poor/old recording quality or styles. I'd listen to Hendrix and Page and obviously like some of the stuff but I remember thinking that the guitars would often be out of tune or the solo's were really sloppy etc. What I did like about those guys were their fire and energy.

I just could not get into it as much as VH. In my mind it was like someone giving you the keys to a <insert your fav sports car here> as well as the keys to an old beat up truck and say drive which ever you want when you want. Back then I would've driven the sports car most of the time although the pickup would have some uses as well.

So fast forward to the present. I can't help but think that some of the younger players perceive VH the same way. Tired old tap tricks that was all the rage with the 80's hair bands. You just can't fully appreciate ground breaking techniques/inventions unless you lived it I guess. Much like we take electricity for granted.

Eddie mentioned he liked/listened to Clapton during Cream and then lost interest. I lost interest in Eddie after the Roth era. I still picked up most of the Hagar era albums. The Hagar era for me was the end of my fav Eddie and the beginning of something different. It was no longer the sports car it previously was.

And for the record, as I gained more experience with the guitar I found the real gems in other players and styles of music new and old. I'm now just as happy listening to an old scratchy Robert Johnson tune as I am listening to the latest Foo Fighters or whatever.

Ramble On \m/

That pretty much sums up my experience, too.

I was a huge KISS fan before all the other bands I later got into, and VH dethroned them for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This video has been circulating on the web, I finally watched it. Having been into EVH since 1979 I knew much of the innovations and things he pioneered. The part where he explains being too loud for clubs and bought a UK Marshall 220v I had read that in recent years but he went into detail about discovering the Variac variable transformer and the settings!
60v to 100v but 89v seemed to be the sweet spot for studio! I hope Clif took note seeing as he's been enabling us all to recreate the tones we only dreamed of ever having.

Long live the King EVH.

...but I do think that people focus on his solos and not nearly enough on his rhythm playing which for my money is the best part of his playing.

While I liked his solos, his rhythm playing is what always knocked me out in VH and that was a big influence on me; they just had so much groove and swing.

I was a huge KISS fan before all the other bands I later got into, and VH dethroned them for me.

Yup, me too! I was growing out of Kiss around 1978 (I lived and breathed them from 1975/Alive!) and that first VH album kinda sealed that deal. Out of nowhere came a band that put the rock bank into roll.

This is the best interview I've ever heard with Ed; he seems to be at a good place in his life and reflecting on where he's been and is going. Very good to see...and he finally gave out the uber-secret Variac setting heh.

I've never been a giant fan, mostly because I didn't liek the frat-boy sensibility of the band. But I remember hearing Eruption on a local radio station when I was in college and being blown out. To hear him playing here on this video, I got a new appreciation of him, because I admire originality. The guitarists I love (like Frank Zappa) just don't sound like anyone else. This is why Clapton and even SRV leave me mostly cold - I've heard Albert King. But Eddie really did break new ground, create a new sound. And I admire him for that. I would like to see him branch out into more experimental stuff - I think he's a natural for it.

Thanks for the video. Odd to see him as a geezer though - cognitive dissonance (I still think I'm 20 until I pass a mirror).

He looks good with that goatee. Glad to see he's playing well too. Thx for posting.

I'll always remember when I first heard VH and my brother calling it "bubble-gum" rock. lol

It is "bubble-gum" rock, due to the heavy use of major happy scales throughout the repertoire (minus the solos)...nothing wrong with happy, swingy, groovy music...

haters will consistently hate...

As Sixstring posted, this is probably one of the more genuine interviews I've seen in ages. As for the whole MA thing, the name of the band has always been Van Halen, so from the outside, I see him as expendable, since Eddie and bro have always called the shots, rightfully so, in probably my un-popular opinion. As far as I'm concerned, Eddie is still the man, even with his idiosyncrasies.

Well I was 20 years old when VH1 came out (at this point I’ve been Playing guitar for 11 years) and I remember well my initial reaction to my first listen, “WTF… is that real?”. At this moment in time Eddie put the rest of the guitar world back into the guitar kindergarten, hands down. Anyone who can’t or doesn’t recognize what he contributed to the guitar universe simply wasn’t there, has absolutely no fuckin clue or they’re just habitual deniers.
It’s not about the genre of music being played it’s about how it’s being played and the ease and fluidity it’s being played at and I’m sure it made a lot of great guitarist feel very humble.

Very nice video, it's awesome to see that he seems so healthy and "sober" .. never seen him so down to earth before .. cool
been a huge fan since the first album just knocked me ...:) man !! it was awesome ..

I am not sure though he "invented" the wax dipping of pickups .. but nevertheless awesome musician .. not so awesome buddy it seems
thinking about M.A and how he has been trying to erase his impact ..

I would still love to meet him and thank him for inspiring a whole generation and more ... for all the awesome music ..
I wouldn't deny him signing my guitar either hehehehehe ..

well anyway .. thanks for sharing it was nice :)

But Eddie really did break new ground, create a new sound. And I admire him for that. I would like to see him branch out into more experimental stuff - I think he's a natural for it.

Yeah I always thought/hoped he'd do that as well.

Thanks for the video. Odd to see him as a geezer though - cognitive dissonance (I still think I'm 20 until I pass a mirror).

LOL same here.

LOL....what the F--k do they know? And we get it, you hate EVH and think he sucks....

There's a Zakk Wylde thread close by. Maybe you can hang out there?

Actually, if you care to READ what I wrote, I think he is a talented guitarist, but don't care for HIM much. His guitar playing is amazing and I admitted it. That being said, I'm no fan of ZW either. Sorry to burst your bubble, there buddy.

Geez didn't mean to insult some of you personally because I don't care for a guitarist that you do. Seriously...

I saw Ed on the 2012 VH tour and it was awesome. I didn't expect much given what he had gone through the past few years but I have to say that it was one of the best concerts I've ever attended. It was so impressive watching just how natural the guitar comes to him and the way the notes just flow. I've seen Vai, Satriani, Malmsteen, Petrucci, and others live but Ed is just a league above, the guitar is just an extension of him, you have to be there to witness it. I was a fan when the first VH album came out and still am today.

Ya... like Ed says and I say it all the time to the younger generation. There was no Internet back then... you had to buy the record and read the magazine.... that was it.

It is difficult for this age of instant everything to grasp that concept.

Humblest I've heard him. I enjoyed it.

NOW more importantly that amp is straight up over the top monster gain. Why can't I get my 5153 in axe dx anywhere close? I'm guessing it's a volume issue I just don't play loud but hints ideas thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd ask the haters, have you ever known a real alcoholic? Virtually every opinion of Ed you formed over the years is based on the words and actions of Drinker Ed, not the Sober Ed we see here. Everyone knows he's been a raging alcoholic since the beginning, same as Alex. Mix that with massive fame and fortune from a young age and everyone around him telling him he's the greatest every day. OF COURSE he was a mega asshole! How could he not be?

Having witnessed up close the multi-year transformation of a loved one from fun social drinker to drunken asshole, to rock-bottom, to attempted recovery with multiple falls off the wagon.. to finally sober and clean to stay, I can tell you. At the end of the day you have a night and day, black and white, 180 degree different person.

I'd ask the haters, have you ever known a real alcoholic? Virtually every opinion of Ed you formed over the years is based on the words and actions of Drinker Ed, not the Sober Ed we see here. Everyone knows he's been a raging alcoholic since the beginning, same as Alex. Mix that with massive fame and fortune from a young age and everyone around him telling him he's the greatest every day. OF COURSE he was a mega asshole! How could he not be?

I've known alcoholics and drug abusers, yes. Do they have a problem? Yes, they do. Does that excuse their behavior? No it does not. If you can't control your addiction, there is no doubt that it will control you. Get help. If you can't or won't get help, then once again, there is no excuse for your behavior. Someone in EVH's position can get help. He did many times and went back to his ways. No one else to blame but him for that. It may seem harsh, but the bottom line is there is no excuse for being a dickhead for any reason. Sorry.

Ya... like Ed says and I say it all the time to the younger generation. There was no Internet back then... you had to buy the record and read the magazine.... that was it.

It is difficult for this age of instant everything to grasp that concept.

absolutely!i read a small review back in 78 in sounds or another uk mag for the 1st album. tiny review less than 2 inches of column space but the reviewer said " you wont believe the guitar on this album" or words to that effect, so I ordered it at the record shop..the rest is history!
done a rough copy from vinyl to cassette so I could play it to my pals in car enroute to work. knocked em bandy!!

Having witnessed up close the multi-year transformation of a loved one from fun social drinker to drunken asshole, to rock-bottom, to attempted recovery with multiple falls off the wagon.. to finally sober and clean to stay, I can tell you. At the end of the day you have a night and day, black and white, 180 degree different person.

This was the first time Ed has seemed sincere. He seems to be at a place where he appreciates his success and luck, however, it would have been nice if he acknowledged Michael Anthony and Sammy Hagar, as much of his success is tied to them.

Back
Top Bottom