Echoplex preamp

jyflorida

Power User
Just wondering if there's a way to duplicate the subtle EQ boost of the pedal with the array of drive pedals we already have. Very subtle but to my ears, very effective too. Dunlop and a couple others make them but we've got so many to pick from in the AF3, I'm hoping there's a way to do it.

The FET preamp might be a replacement for the Xotic EP Booster but not for a pedal like the Catalinbread Epoch Pre or the Chase Audio Secret Preamp. If I remember correctly, the real magic behind the Echoplex preamp. and true to the original pedal copies, is not simply equalization but a non-linear phase response. I don't think the FET preamp does the non-linear phase bit.

NOPE !!!! It doesn't sound anywhere close to the same ! I don't have the equipment to analyze what's happening, but to my uneducated ears it's nowhere near the same ! I'd stick w/ James Santiago's IR ....

I've been lobbying "off and on" for some to match it, because having both the IR Player and Drive Block in a single pre-set eats up A LOT of CPU ....

The FET preamp might be a replacement for the Xotic EP Booster but not for a pedal like the Catalinbread Epoch Pre or the Chase Audio Secret Preamp. If I remember correctly, the real magic behind the Echoplex preamp. and true to the original pedal copies, is not simply equalization but a non-linear phase response. I don't think the FET preamp does the non-linear phase bit.

I owned the EP Booster. I like its sound and would love to have it as a Drive option, but there's nothing magical about it IMHO. EQ, or FET Preamp (not FET Boost), or the TAPE option in the Cab block can be used instead.

I have no clue about the original EP, or Epoch. If the secret is indeed non-linear phase response, then an IR isn't the solution either.

I have no clue about the original EP, or Epoch. If the secret is indeed non-linear phase response, then an IR isn't the solution either.

All I know is that the IR is significantly different ( & better ) to my ears than the Drive Block options !

or the TAPE option in the Cab block can be used instead.

I'm at work at the moment so I can't get into AxeEdit. What is the tape option? Probably something I've seen a thousand times but never paid attention to it.

I'm at work at the moment so I can't get into AxeEdit. What is the tape option? Probably something I've seen a thousand times but never paid attention to it.

It's a mode within the Preamp simulation in the Cab block.

All I know is that the IR is significantly different ( & better ) to my ears than the Drive Block options !

In front of the amp?

I tried the IR moments ago, in front of the amp, using the IR Player block, and that wouldn't be a guitar sound I could use. The IR is nice for feedback loops though.

Not sure this would get you what you want either .... In my mind it's in the wrong spot in the signal chain ....

It's after the Cab almost like a channel strip .... I think it came from 80's guitar players routing the mic signals to a Fostex 4-track ( most notably George Lynch ) prior to sending it to the recording console ....

In front of the amp?

I tried the IR moments ago, in front of the amp, using the IR Player block, and that wouldn't be a guitar sound I could use. The IR is nice for feedback loops though.

Yes ! In front of the Amp ..., like Eddie used to run his Echoplex EP-3 w/ the preamp engaged, but the tape echo turned off ( except for Ain't Talkin bout Love ! ) .... It doesn't change the core tone, just seems to knock of something in the high-end, leaving a nice pleasing Plexi "bite" without the "Ice-Pick" !

Ah yes, works better with an overdrive tone indeed. Shifts the midrange (a little nasal).

It's a beautiful tone no doubt ....

But ..., I don't think the OP is looking for the echo/repeat portion of the Echoplex .... I think like me ..., he just wants the pre-amp tone shaping !
Correct, but that preset is still gonna be fun to check out!

I owned the EP Booster. I like its sound and would love to have it as a Drive option, but there's nothing magical about it IMHO. EQ, or FET Preamp (not FET Boost), or the TAPE option in the Cab block can be used instead.

The Xotic EP Booster is not a faithful recreation of the Echoplex preamp. The only faithful clones that I know of are the Clinch FX EP Pre, Catalinbread Epoch Pre along with their Belle Epoch Deluxe Delay pedal and the Chase Audio Secret Preamp. All of the faithful units have internal voltage upscaling that turns 9V/12V inputs into 23V.

I have the Belle Epoch Deluxe Delay pedal as well as the Secret Preamp, and, so far, I'm unable to recreate that tone inside the Axe FX III. I can get close, no doubt, but the real pedal adds a thickness to the tone that is tough to achieve with just an EQ and a bit of dirt.

Back
Top Bottom