EBMM JP15 mods anyone (pickup focused)?

Been in contact with Dimarzio sales via email lately. I mentioned I was looking for less output/compression and that i favor more classic hard rock. Also said I have the dimarzio AT-1 /36th anniversary in my Axis and really love that combo. Would like something similar for my JP. This is what his response was: (anyone have any experience with Dimarzio Dominion? )

"In general, lower output = less compression, which is what you’re getting with the 36th Anniv./AT-1 set. Although it might seem odd considering who it was designed for,, an F-spaced Dominion bridge model (DP245F) might be good in the bridge position, with a standard-spaced Transition neck model (DP254) in the neck position. The Dominion is fairly similar to the AT-1, and both pickups split well.

One problem you’re going to encounter with any of our medium-output bridge pickups (including the Dominion) is that they aren’t as tall as the Illuminator bridge model (.88” vs. .96”), which will drop the output considerably because the pickup will be further from the strings. The best solution is to put small circular washers under the pickup legs to raise the pickup.

Another issue to be aware of is that the JP15 versions of the Illuminators have PCB baseplates and plugin connectors, which need to be specified to get the correct models. For the 2 pickups recommended above, the model numbers ( assuming the pickups are black) are DP245FBK+P and DP254BK+P."

So I decided to go with Dimarzio Dominion for the bridge and transition for the neck. My JP15 has the 5 pin connectors so ordered the pickups with the pcb option. There was a huge backlog with Dimarzio due to Covid. I ordered early October 2020 and just received my order the other day. There were only two slight challenges to installing these.

First the leads from the guitar cavity are routed on the right /high E side of the pickup cavities. The pickups I got have the pins facing the opposite way; as if they leads were on the left/low E side. This resulted in bending the lead wire a bit and it was very very tight as there was very little slack available. I just managed to fit.

Secondly, the height of the original bridge is taller than the Dominion pickup. Roughly 1/8" difference. I had some rubber feet from a pedal board laying around and used a utility knife to fashion some spacers. Worked like a charm. Only thing I'm wondering is if the neck pickup is sitting a bit higher than it should as the 5 pin connector had to be bent over itself due to its orientation in the pickup cavity. Some fine tuning yet to get both pickups balanced in volume.

I've only installed these last night and my initial test was pleasing. has that Dimarzio topology and not as compressed as the Illuminators.

Back
Top Bottom