eBay question

Cem

Experienced
Hi folks,

I sold an item on eBay without returns. Buyer paid, it's all good. I shipped the item, the money is in my account.

But UPS Says:
The receiver must pay the duties or taxes due on the package.
The receiver doesn't accept C.O.D.s and refused the delivery.

Under these circumstaces, would eBay force me to refund money if he insists on not paying it. (Returns + his tax + my tax, I must pay if it happens, If i want it to be returned back.)

Or am I totally safe regarding that he is the one didn't pay the TAX and has nothing to do with me?

If you ship internationally, the buyer is responsible for paying the duty tax. That is one down side of buying internationally.

Call eBay and see what they say.

There are lots of warnings telling the buyer that they are responsible for duties, taxes and brokerage fees...not to mention, they should already know that. It's the buyers responsibility...not the sellers.

I live in Canada and buy and sell lots of gear to and from the U.S. I NEVER use UPS across the border. In fact, on a local UPS shipment, the UPS driver told me not to use them across the border! They might be a little faster, but the brokerage fees they charge are outrageous. I bought an item that cost around $50 and asked the seller not to use UPS. Unfortunately, he sent the item UPS and they wanted nearly $50 in brokerage, taxes and duty fees at the door. That was on top of the shipping cost.

I always use USPS/Canada Post. The brokerage fees are included in the shipping cost. Depending on the value of the item I'm buying, Canada Post may or may not charge me duty and taxes when I pick-up the item up from the post office.

There's a lot to shipping internationally

your biggest mistake is using UPS to ship internationally

many many years ago i sold my Axe Fx Standard- to Canada via FedEx
worst mistake ever-

ups/fedex- don't handle the customs/duties/taxes well and also sometimes without you realizing it- only get it to the country and don't actually finish taking it to the persons address and just sits there for days until you pay more money

basically
you filled out the customs papers probably correctly-
which results in him owing money
and UPS can't accept the money to get it to him- because they don't take cash

i know ebay
you're responsible for it getting it to him- and if he refuses the shipping- you're stuck with it
the only smart thing to do is make sure you get the item back before you give the money

even if its out of your hands- its still in your hands until they sign for it/prove delivery- until then
if he wants his money back even with no returns your screwed and out the cost of shipping

the only smart/safe thing is to hold off a refund til you have the item back in your hands

Back
Top Bottom