Easy Reamping Workflow

That's probably the best re-amping video I've seen. It also applies to the Axe-Fx III/FM9...just use usb channel 5 instead of 3. Also, it's probably obvious to people watching the video, but you can browse through presets while monitoring the DI through the FM3. In other words, you're not limited to editing a single preset.

One topic that is missing is working around the latency compensation problem in FAS devices, but there's really no way to touch on that without making the recording process more complicated. Without mentioning that though, people might be confused about why the timing on their tracks is off.

Also, note there is currently a noise gate problem, which means a re-amped track will be missing the noise gate from the input block.

Well done Cooper. One pedantic note: Recording "Input 1 Left" is not technically recording the Input 1 block -- it's recording the signal at the physical input 1 jack, and it will work even without the input 1 block present in the preset. This could be important if someone imagined that the DI might be processed by the gate in the In 1 block, which is not the case as you know -- it's the "raw" DI signal as it hits the FM3.

Wow! I don't record, but I understood the video. Nicely done.
I especially liked the part about 'live re-amping', and it occured to me, if you were to record your band, you could then use this technique to adjust your own tone to sound its best "in the mix", since that seems to be an area, where we dial up a tone that sounds killer playing alone, yet doesn't cut thru (for those of us who may not yet be experienced enough to know how to differentiate between the 2.)

Wow! I don't record, but I understood the video. Nicely done.
I especially liked the part about 'live re-amping', and it occured to me, if you were to record your band, you could then use this technique to adjust your own tone to sound its best "in the mix", since that seems to be an area, where we dial up a tone that sounds killer playing alone, yet doesn't cut thru (for those of us who may not yet be experienced enough to know how to differentiate between the 2.)
Damn I feel stupid right about now. I've been struggling recreating my Ultra patches on my FM9, and why I haven't thought about doing this is beyond me.

Damn I feel stupid right about now. I've been struggling recreating my Ultra patches on my FM9, and why I haven't thought about doing this is beyond me.
Sometimes you're too close to the project, and just need a toothpick for your waffle door (50 First Dates...? No one? Ah well...)

Thanks so much for putting this out there. Happy to see @GlennO 's endorsement as well, as their posts have been extremely helpful on this forum with this topic.

Here's a diagram showing what I meant. Note that the tap for USB recording is before the In 1 grid block. Again, the In 1 block doesn't even need to be on the grid for the Input 1 jack to feed signal to USB 3/4.

1656011613864.png
I'll take a look with @rlgr at the report, now deleted, that stated that the input gate was not being correctly applied at the In 1 block when Input 1 Source is set to "USB CHANNELS 3/4". That could be caused by the digital signal being fed to the block's outputs instead of its inputs.

I'll take a look with @rlgr at the report, now deleted, that stated that the input gate was not being correctly applied at the In 1 block when Input 1 Source is set to "USB CHANNELS 3/4". That could be caused by the digital signal being fed to the block's outputs instead of its inputs.
Here's a recent thread on the subject. It contains links to other threads with related problem reports.
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...ot-working-when-source-set-to-digital.184774/

That's probably the best re-amping video I've seen. It also applies to the Axe-Fx III/FM9...just use usb channel 5 instead of 3.

On the Axe and FM9, I prefer to use the USB block so that you can avoid the global input change altogether. All you need to do to reamp is turn on the USB block, and you're running the DI signal into the preset.

Detailed here:

On the Axe and FM9, I prefer to use the USB block so that you can avoid the global input change altogether. All you need to do to reamp is turn on the USB block, and you're running the DI signal into the preset.
That will certainly work, there are pros and cons. I have a performance page control to easily switch the input from analog to digital, which I find easier than editing a preset to ensure it has a usb input block. Also you lose mod sources like pitch and envelope when you use the usb input block.

Back
Top Bottom