• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Easy Patch Question

jw3571

Inspired
Stupid question. I'm basically trying to create an easy patch that has a heavier overdriven sound but then also has a cleaner sound for a different portion of the song. Is it best to do this with a completely different preset, or do should I do a scene? Or use the XY? I've never done the last two?

unix-guy

Legend!
I would recommend using scenes. You can use a clean amp and a drive pedal, or 2 amp blocks if that works better.

Put amp blocks parallel to each other and set Bypass mode to Mute.

There are other ways to do this. These are two common methods.

h.c.e.

Power User
if you want to have the smoothest transition between clean and OD without any pop or drop out i would do two amps, one clean and one OD, and have amp1 on and bypass the amp2 on scene one and vice versa on scene two. that being said so many of the models respond nicely to the guitars volume knob and playing dynamics, you might want to try dialing up a sound that's driven with the volume knob dimed, and playing hard, but cleans up as you roll down the volume and soften your pick attack. ymmv depending on how clean the clean you like and how gainy an overdrive sound is to your ears.

StickMan

Experienced
I do what I think a lot of other people do: set up presets with a number of scenes, each scene having a little more distortion than the previous.

Personally I use a scene controller on the input gain of the amp block and then balance out the output between scenes using the final output block, which also varies between scenes. The way I set the scenes up, Scene 1 is usually as close to clean as makes sense for the amp model, and then Scenes 2 and 3 are distorted rhythm settings. Scene 4 is usually a "normal" lead tone for the preset, and Scene 5 more of an "over the top" lead tone. Scenes 4 and 5 usually have delay turned on, and Scene 3 is often usable as a low gain lead tone as well.

Once you divide the scenes into "rhythm" and "lead" you can also set up X&Y modes for the blocks based on that idea. I'll often use a model based a different channel of the amp for Scenes 4&5, and I'm likely to change settings for sag, feedback and compression for the "lead" scenes.

Same thing for the effects blocks. You might want to use a different drive block for rhythm than from lead. Personally, I use the drive on lead scenes to push the amp block a little harder, and I like a softer distortion to help the amp "sing" a little more. So for the lead scenes I'll keep the gain down, the mix down and use the Ge diode setting. The "Mid-Boost" drive block is good for this too, because, while its sounds a bit like ass by itself, it does cut through in a mix.

Drive for rhythm scenes needs to stand by itself a little bit more. I'd keep the level at unity with more mix and use more gain in a block that has a more amp-like feel or a lot of bite (like the Rat model). When you couple that with the idea that you can have two drive blocks, with each X&Y set up with either rhythm or lead in mind and coordinated with the scenes, you can get a huge range of drive tones from a single preset.

unix-guy

Legend!
I specifically didn't mention amp block X/Y changes because they incur an audio gap which lots of people do not like.

jw3571

Inspired
So with scenes, you can't change amps correct? So if i was doing two amps, you put both in the amp block and then mute one of them correct? Could someone post a quick pic of their chain? Thanks.

unix-guy

Legend!
With scenes you can change which blocks are on and off, and whether they are using X or Y state.

You would use 2 Amp blocks parallel to each other. Set Bypass mode to Mute for both.

In each scene you would enable the amp you want in that scene and disable the other amp.

StickMan

Experienced
So with scenes, you can't change amps correct? So if i was doing two amps, you put both in the amp block and then mute one of them correct? Could someone post a quick pic of their chain? Thanks.
Yes you can. You can put different amp models in X & Y of one amp block, and then change between X & Y from scene to scene. Or you can have two amp blocks, and then change the bypass states of the blocks between scenes.

jw3571

Inspired
Another question on scenes, can you not have different input drives on different scenes? For example, If I want to use a different drive or master level on scene 2 , can you do this? It seems like it's keeping the same levels for each scene?

unix-guy

Legend!
Another question on scenes, can you not have different input drives on different scenes? For example, If I want to use a different drive or master level on scene 2 , can you do this? It seems like it's keeping the same levels for each scene?
Yes, you can use Scene Controllers assigned to parameters for that... But the purpose of scenes is to control the on/off and x/y states. All other settings are common across all scenes.

Think of scenes like a pedalboard...

StickMan

Experienced
Yes you can. Assign a scene controller to the input drive.

StickMan

Experienced
I'll go research scenes some more. I don't even know what a scene controller is, lol.
I suspected that. Below the grid in AxeEdit, way over to the left is a button labelled, "Controllers". Click on that, and then scroll down to "Scene" and select that. You'll get a screen with two rows of 10 dials, labelled in percentages. There are two scene controllers for each scene, and you can use them just like you would the dial that you attach them to.

Click on the little link button in the middle of the Input Drive knob in the amp block. Then pick "Scene 1". Now the top row of knobs from the scene controller page will be used for the Input Drive setting.

I used to use scene 2 attached to the drive block level knob, until I figured out that the output block has a different level for each scene. So now I use that.

jw3571

Inspired
Okay, i've been using two amps to try to get my clean/distortion patch using scenes. The only problem i'm having is i'm getting a popping sound when switching between the scenes, any suggestions?

unix-guy

Legend!
Okay, i've been using two amps to try to get my clean/distortion patch using scenes. The only problem i'm having is i'm getting a popping sound when switching between the scenes, any suggestions?
What blocks besides Amp are changing when you change scenes? One of them is the culprit.

jw3571

Inspired
How do you make the amps in parallel? I don't think i have bypass mode set to mute, i just turned off the block.

Top Bottom