Easy notation suggestions?

Rotti

Fractal Fanatic
I'm running into the need to have hard & fast records of exactly what my band's songs are, what everyone plays and when, as a reference for when we might need to bring in subs.

Trouble is, I've never sat down with something like GP other than to just toy around with it, because it is very time consuming and in most cases painfully boring.

Does anyone know of a way to just "play" the parts I want to notate without having to go all Stephen King on my keyboard?

Thank you in advance, you sexy, sexy beasts.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
i have the fishman, i dont use it much though, and I did try exactly what you mentioned, play the parts through the fishman tripleplay into a variety of different midi capable notation programs, but not to good results. Maybe I didn't tweak/research enough to get a good work flow going but what I found was that it was much quicker for me to punch in with guitar pro or sibelius. i am very very quick at guitar pro though because I've been using it for about 14 years :)

Yeah, the Fishman and other MIDI pickup systems are very hit or miss. You'll probably spend a similar amount of time correcting those outputs as you would just doing it fresh in GP or Sibelius. If you know your songs well, and use the shortcut keys, putting a song into Guitar Pro is very quick and easy... I can get a whole song transcribed fairly quickly and easily for guitar/bass/drums. It's when I mix in piano (on a grand staff) and other instruments (voices etc) that I have to really slow down.

I know the stuff well enough to see the tabs in my head, I guess I really don't want to spend the time at the keyboard... looks like I might need to suck it up. Learning those hot keys should help.

How is GP6? Pretty good improvement over 5, or not worth the upgrade?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

GP6 is a pretty incremental upgrade. If you have 5, that would be fine. I only upgraded to 6 because I got the upgrade for free during a brief promo.

I recommend GP5 if your music is guitar-centric. GP6 provides some quality-of-life improvements for claviature instruments; but other than that, it's just wasting more hardware resources.

You could use a DAW, record your audio input and then convert into MIDI (and then use Guitar Pro to convert the midi into a tab). But honestly, if you play a lot of complex stuff or chords, the results will be hit or miss.
Writing the tabs by hand might be much faster.

Also, don't neglect the possibility to just tab your songs on a piece of paper. Might be even faster than tabbing in guitar pro.

Back
Top Bottom