Implemented Easy Navigation via Edit button

yyz67

Fractal Fanatic
AFAIK, currently while in edit mode the Edit button "forward cycles" through non-shunted blocks, which is nice, while in layout mode one press of Edit goes into the block. However, sometimes I'll accidentally hit Edit and then be in the next block (along with frustration). To go back to the previous block I have to go to layout mode then arrow to it, then hit Edit.

WISH: While in Edit mode, I'd like to be able to stay in that block, go backwards, or go forwards (to non-shunted blocks), regardless of if in edit or layout mode.

Possible UI suggestion is:
  • Edit button short press stays or goes into edit mode (whether in edit mode or layout mode) [no more accidental forwarding!]
  • Long press skips forward to next block and into edit mode (whether in edit mode or layout mode)
  • Fast double-press goes backwards one block and into edit mode (whether in edit mode or layout mode)
The last two could be swapped but I suspect a double-click to go back is more common/natural.

Last edited:
i think the buttons can't do "hold" operations, as it's like you're pressing multiple times.

i've just gotten good at not hitting Edit while in the Edit screen.

i think the buttons can't do "hold" operations, as it's like you're pressing multiple times.

Perhaps not, though I imagine if it is a soft button, a layer could be written to detect different kinds of presses.

Still, a way to "reverse navigate" along blocks with minimal button presses would be enough for me (regardless of my accidents!).

Yeah, I've noticed this too. Not a huge problem, but kinda annoying that it only goes one way. That's a big +1 from me :)

Yeah, I've spent an embarrassing amount of time clicking around on the front panel because I overshot the block I want to edit. So +1 on this idea.

Some other UI options (not sure if technically feasible):

• Hold Edit and turn Value knob to scroll through blocks
  • Hold Edit and use < > buttons to scroll through blocks

i think the front panel can't do Hold functions. it registers as if you're hitting it multiple times.

i always hit Exit to go back to the layout, then nav. a few things are available with the knobs under the screen while in Layout as well.

Most of it implemented... happy!

I'll move other suggestions (mine and other's) to a different thread.

Back
Top Bottom