Easy instrumental song suggestions?

unix-guy

Master of RTFM
So until COVID lockdown threw a giant monkey wrench into the mix, my newest project had been working on original instrumental tunes for about a year.

We had worked up 7-8 tunes that were still not ready to play live but getting there... Now 18 months later and it's almost like starting over.

And we don't have more than a few hours a week to play.

I'm looking for ideas on some easy instrumental tunes we can use to quickly build up a set list mixed with our tunes.

The one I thought of right away is Tequila.

I appreciate any ideas.

Since you mention 'Tequila', you might consider 'Wipe Out'. You'd need a top notch drummer!

There's also 'Walk Don't Run'.

If you have keyboards, there's 'Green Onions'.

If you want slow blues, check out 'Rumble' by Link Wray.

Led Zeppelin, 'Moby Dick'. I'd probably take out most of the solo drum stuff though (that was a really weird time for music).

Since you mention 'Tequila', you might consider 'Wipe Out'. You'd need a top notch drummer!

There's also 'Walk Don't Run'.

If you have keyboards, there's 'Green Onions'.

If you want slow blues, check out 'Rumble' by Link Wray.

Led Zeppelin, 'Moby Dick'. I'd probably take out most of the solo drum stuff though (that was a really weird time for music).
Good ideas there!

Interestingly, our drummer has muscular distrophy... He can play really well in any case but uses a "special" layout of his kit to help.

However, we're a little atypical and play 100% direct and silent stage. And instead of playing an electronic kit (which we have) he plays via a ZenDrum controller and additional kick drum trigger driving an Alesis Strike drum brain.

That gives him 11 appendages to play with... Needless to say he can play parts most drummers would find impossible :)

Our bassist also plays Stick, mandolin, ukulele and other instruments...

All the bass, stick, guitars, etc go thru Fractal products (I converted everyone!) from Axe Fx II XL+ (other guitarist) to Axe Fx III (mine) to FM3+FM6 (bassist who also has Axe Fx III for home).

Take a very well known song and make it instrumental could be a good option and definitely opens up possibilities.
I was thinking about Somewhere Over The Rainbow but have really listened to see how hard it would be.

I've always loved the original song and also loved the version by IZ, and of course Jeff Beck's version is amazing but I can't compete with that one.

I think songs that many people know will work best.

Well since you mentioned Tequila, what about Rebel Rouser? Same era, also has a sax part. Could be fun, in how it modulates and speeds up... And it's definitely easy. :)

Another one I thought of, but wasn't sure about suggesting until you mentioned Somewhere Over The Rainbow (slow, melodic), what about Color My World? I learned it on guitar a long time ago, so I know it's possible w/o piano. It's got some really cool chords.

Well since you mentioned Tequila, what about Rebel Rouser? Same era, also has a sax part. Could be fun, in how it modulates and speeds up... And it's definitely easy. :)
That's another good one.

I think these kinds of tunes can be extended and "jammed out" a little, too.

Another one I thought of, but wasn't sure about suggesting until you mentioned Somewhere Over The Rainbow (slow, melodic), what about Color My World? I learned it on guitar a long time ago, so I know it's possible w/o piano. It's got some really cool chords.
Not a song I am familiar with but just listened to it.

The Stick could cover the piano parts, too.

Also, I forgot to mention above that our drummer also plays keys and with the hand-controlled drums could probably play both piano and drums on that by himself ;)

O hell yeah!
Btw, what is your audience for this, I'm curious?
Me, too! Haha :D

This project started after (and out of) my originals band of 26 years decided it was time to retire.

So, the remaining musicians who are all into a wide variety of music but especially instrumental stuff like Snarky Puppy, etc decided that's what we wanted to do.

We have not put enough material together yet to gig but the previous band did lots of fairs and "civic" events and I think that will probably be our main venues, but we'll see where it goes.

Good ideas there!

Interestingly, our drummer has muscular distrophy... He can play really well in any case but uses a "special" layout of his kit to help.

However, we're a little atypical and play 100% direct and silent stage. And instead of playing an electronic kit (which we have) he plays via a ZenDrum controller and additional kick drum trigger driving an Alesis Strike drum brain.

That gives him 11 appendages to play with... Needless to say he can play parts most drummers would find impossible :)

Our bassist also plays Stick, mandolin, ukulele and other instruments...

All the bass, stick, guitars, etc go thru Fractal products (I converted everyone!) from Axe Fx II XL+ (other guitarist) to Axe Fx III (mine) to FM3+FM6 (bassist who also has Axe Fx III for home).
You describing your drummer made me think of Rick Allen (Def Leppard). What in inspiration he is! I remember when he lost his arm at the height of their popularity. A lot of people thought that band was either done for or would abandon him; talk about a "band of brothers".
I started to include 'Rebel Rouser', but the sax part made me question it. Good choice.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom