Easiest way to send bpm to drummer from axe fx

Set Metronome level for one of your outputs. Send that to the drummer as audio.

No way to send him a visual indicator with the Axe Fx as the master time keeper.
Connect the metronome output to a SS power amp, and the speaker out to an automobile ignition coil, and connect that to electrodes on the drum stool.... ;)

In all seriousness, you could probably strobe a neon bulb with a filament transformer and diode in place of the ignition coil....

@Keith White So is the goal to generate a click for everyone else in the band?
Just the drummer. He's killing me. I'm learning all these songs note for note and he's playing some of them twice as fast. Ever play the solo to zz Top Gimme all your lovin at 160 bpm. It's not even the same solo at that speed. Billy is all about space breathing notes and blues bending and that's what makes him him and I can't do that playing at that speed. And the amount of time I spend to get these things note for note it makes me angry when he does that so I'm trying to fix the problem b4 it gets too bad. When I learn a song I listen to it until I can replay it in my head beginning to end and hum it then I learn it close as I can unplugged then I write the preset or find one that fits and dial it in for me then I learn it. Since I do all that he can at least play it proper tempo

If you're able to play all your songs that well, seems to me you could attract a better drummer. I get the feeling you're trying to fix a problem that's larger than your desired solution.

A drummer needs to be able to hear the song in his head, then count it out for the band. It's not that hard. Is he any good, otherwise? Then again, playing Gimme All Your Lovin @ 160 and not realizing it is pretty bad. I just tapped it out in my head, then on the Tap Tempo, and I came up with 123 bpm.

Just the drummer. He's killing me. I'm learning all these songs note for note and he's playing some of them twice as fast. Ever play the solo to zz Top Gimme all your lovin at 160 bpm. It's not even the same solo at that speed. Billy is all about space breathing notes and blues bending and that's what makes him him and I can't do that playing at that speed. And the amount of time I spend to get these things note for note it makes me angry when he does that so I'm trying to fix the problem b4 it gets too bad. When I learn a song I listen to it until I can replay it in my head beginning to end and hum it then I learn it close as I can unplugged then I write the preset or find one that fits and dial it in for me then I learn it. Since I do all that he can at least play it proper tempo

In that case, you need a click track. A flashing light doesn't work very well for enforcing a tempo. A Soundbrenner Pulse also works well.

This sounds like a problem a click won't fix. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, but a 30-40 bpm mismatch won't be solved by a click, no matter how loud it is in his ears. If you both are on the click, if he deviates from it, it will be a much bigger distraction to you than him playing faster than the original tempo of a song. This type of thing is either solved in the rehearsal room or having the drummer really get solid on his timing.

Unfortunately, you can't fight that as a guitarist, no matter how loud you play. A bassist might have a better chance. I played in an 80s tribute band and we briefly had a drummer with shall we say had a beverage issue. At his worst nights he would flip the groove around. Ever play "Hot for Teacher" with the snare on 1 & 3? Yeah, there's no way I can flip that groove around as the guitarist. We also played to a click and tracks and if he left the click, it was pretty much game over and I usually stopped the laptop playing the backing track. It would sound 100x worse to stubbornly stay locked to the click while the drummer flailed around on stage.

If it's your project and band, don't be afraid to count in the tunes, even if the band starts together. A lot of cover bands in LA don't rehearse. So when I find myself in the drum chair with a band I haven't worked with a musician or a singer who might want something at a different tempo than the original, it's always in my everyone's best interest to have someone else in the band count in the tunes. It can be a diplomatic approach, especially if a song doesn't start with drums. I think it's silly to count a tune off then wait 30 bars before coming in on the drums. I will, of course come prepared to count every tune in if needed, but that just comes down to seeing how they want it done.

Basically, communication will save you a lot of grief.

do you guys really think our spicies can keep time with a visual click?! (as a band) Try it and see how many bars it takes before it falls a part.
Been doing this for years. Some custom made multi channel LED lights. Using two stereo audio tracks from Ableton to activate them in the needed sequence.

The drummer recently switched to headphones. And then the bass player just started using his IEMs. So just started using a click for them. Might go ahead and add some cues too. I'm still using my LED lights setup.

Having said that, following a click is a lot natural.

You could use something like one of these and have them be the master clock for everything.

https://jmkmusicpedals.com/products/clockstep

https://www.disasterareadesigns.com/shop/p/smart-clock-gen-3

https://www.selaheffects.com/product/quartz-v3/

i would say that this is his problem to fix, not yours. if he doesn't even realise he's that far off, or won't admit it, then you need a new drummer.

our old drummer has an app on his phone that had a setlist and bpm for each song. when you selected the song, it would show a metronome for that bpm. he would get the tempo by watching the lights on screen and use it to count off the tune. he wouldn't need to look at it again, cos you know, he was a good drummer and could keep time.

i would say that this is his problem to fix, not yours. if he doesn't even realise he's that far off, or won't admit it, then you need a new drummer.

our old drummer has an app on his phone that had a setlist and bpm for each song. when you selected the song, it would show a metronome for that bpm. he would get the tempo by watching the lights on screen and use it to count off the tune. he wouldn't need to look at it again, cos you know, he was a good drummer and could keep time.
Plz see if you can find out what this app is

If you're able to play all your songs that well, seems to me you could attract a better drummer. I get the feeling you're trying to fix a problem that's larger than your desired solution.

A drummer needs to be able to hear the song in his head, then count it out for the band. It's not that hard. Is he any good, otherwise? Then again, playing Gimme All Your Lovin @ 160 and not realizing it is pretty bad. I just tapped it out in my head, then on the Tap Tempo, and I came up with 123 bpm.
I'm the newest member in at 6 months now and he is the original drummer. I've been playing since 1987 and have a crazy amount of good gig contacts so I'm trying to up the level of this band without being too much of a jerk. I won't put us in hard rock or places like that until I know we are ready. The pieces are all there including two incredible lead singers but Noone other than our bassist have been in touring bands so they are a bit green. I live in destin Florida and there are so many gigs and so few great musicians. The band I was in in New Orleans on Bourbon Street was a nationally put together band. We never practiced. Everyone was given 2 new songs per week and the same copy of the song and every time we played it perfectly including Fool In The Rain by Zeppelin. That is what I'm used to so this is driving me bonkers

I'm the newest member in at 6 months now and he is the original drummer. I've been playing since 1987 and have a crazy amount of good gig contacts so I'm trying to up the level of this band without being too much of a jerk. I won't put us in hard rock or places like that until I know we are ready. The pieces are all there including two incredible lead singers but Noone other than our bassist have been in touring bands so they are a bit green. I live in destin Florida and there are so many gigs and so few great musicians. The band I was in in New Orleans on Bourbon Street was a nationally put together band. We never practiced. Everyone was given 2 new songs per week and the same copy of the song and every time we played it perfectly including Fool In The Rain by Zeppelin. That is what I'm used to so this is driving me bonkers

I feel your pain. To me it sounds just like the drummer is the issue. You're doing your due diligence but at the end of the day, theres a limit to what you can do. You either accept it, or replace him.

I've had my fair share of playing with bad drummers. A different band that also played to clicks and tracks (whole band is on ears and click) had a drummer who just couldn't play to a click. He would drift in and out of it, sometimes displacing beat 1 and treating beat 2 as the downbeat. Bass player got into an argument with him on stage once and the drummer was convinced and argued that "the click was speeding up" (his words, not mine). We eventually had to replace him (and later the bassist). It just wasn't worth the headaches and grief. We found a great drummer who I still work with to this day.

You may also run into the fact that some musicians, not just drummers, can't play to a click live. They just don't have that skillset together, so no matter how you dice it, the click will actually cause more problems than fix. And, a click doesn't solve every timing issue. I'm in the minority, but I think it's okay to have a tempo drift within reason. Some of the most famous recordings speed up (or slow down) and still groove like hell. And, it's okay to play songs at a different tempo than the original, live.

I hope you solve the drummer issue soon :)

You could use an app to get the tempo before the songs. Which should at least start you off on the right foot. But the drummer will likely speed up again, maybe not as much? What do you do about songs with different tempos throughout the song?

I think that you may want to explore sending clicks (and maybe vocal cues?) using Ableton, or something similar, to the whole band.
  1. To hopefully avoid singling out or embarrassing any one member.
  2. So that any other member that may start a song will also be at the correct starting tempo.
  3. If there are tempo changes mid-song, they will always be correct.
  4. The possibility for future expansion.
    Controlling lighting that is preprogrammed and timed to the songs.
    Backing tracks for extra stuff, Intros, outros, sound effects, etc..
    Automated program/scene changes for anything running midi.

That's a tough position to be in. I hope it comes together for you.

Looks like the guitarist is the one solving all the tech stuff for the band. And then the others complain we take so long to set all things up…

I’ve never knew a great singer that was doing the tech stuff. The best I could find is the singer that brings his own effects, but still needs help to set it up properly 😂

Maybe I’m too nerd and simply attract this tech stuff but I see it happening with you guys too.
Guitarist in charge of all the tech here.

It’s exhausting and frustrating asking anyone else to do much of anything. Heaven forbid people learn their own gear.

I have the click on a track. Thats all I play to.

Ha…Ha…Ha…. Sorry, don’t mean to laugh but I have battled the same thing. Easiest solution if you don’t want a click is to have all the bpm’s noted in the setlist and use an App like “Live BPM”. Add it to your phone “drummers phone” and have him have it active during rehearsals and gigs. I asked everyone in my band to get it so we could all be aware. It fixed our tempo issues quick. I don’t ask for perfection but I want to be no more than a few bpm off for the same reasons you mentioned. Solos can get out of hand quick if you are 5 bpm faster and the groove of songs is lost with tempo issues.

IMG_0115.png

New band or new drummer, only way this ends. When you’re used to professional musicians, amateur hour has no place.

Hi Keith,

Hope you can take this as constructive which is my intent. Might be time for you to accept some human failings, and just do the best you can. It's no use destroying the vibe, in order to improve the musicianship. Obviously something needs to be done about the BPMs for starting some of these songs, and there's some good suggestions in this thread. I can see you think you're above the other members, and that may be true - however - Do what you can, and try to enjoy the relationships and music you're in. That enjoyment may translate to the drummer getting to understand some failings and working on them. Otherwise you'll go mad, and take them along with you!

Thanks
Pauly

Ha…Ha…Ha…. Sorry, don’t mean to laugh but I have battled the same thing. Easiest solution if you don’t want a click is to have all the bpm’s noted in the setlist and use an App like “Live BPM”. Add it to your phone “drummers phone” and have him have it active during rehearsals and gigs. I asked everyone in my band to get it so we could all be aware. It fixed our tempo issues quick. I don’t ask for perfection but I want to be no more than a few bpm off for the same reasons you mentioned. Solos can get out of hand quick if you are 5 bpm faster and the groove of songs is lost with tempo issues.

View attachment 121393
Yes, Live BPM works really well!

Back
Top Bottom