Earthquake anyone?

shasha

Fractal Fanatic
My first one. Got to admit that I couldn't dislodge the underwear from my nether regions for about 10 minutes. Of course my building at work is built right on a fault line (it actually split right down the middle about 10 years ago and covered with sheet metal from end to end).

It definitely woke my class up. :)

I've been in a good couple since I'm a Californian and the last one my friend who was living with us at the time and I were sleeping at night and everything started shaking. we stayed where we were because we're lazy bastards :lol it turns out the graduation weenie dog I got when I got out of high school flew off the top of my tv cabinet and hit me and some other stuffed animal flew and got my friend in the head. We went back to sleep almost immediately after :lol

I actually didn't realize it was an earthquake until it kept shaking past 5 seconds. I thought it was a semi driving really hard because it sounded like it but really loud.

Last edited:
I live in Richmond, about 50 miles from the epicenter, but somehow I missed it. Lots of people freaking out on the streets, especially since all the freshmen, etc. just moved in to the dorms.

I grew up in California near Hollister. I seen som doozies in the 70's. We moved to Amarillo Texas and I thought Whew, no more quakes. Went right into the heart of Tornado alley! I'll take quakes over tornadoes if I gotta have a choice of natural disaster as I slide down the banister of life. Right now here in south Texas.....we are getting thirsty!!:?

i grew up in the bay area. i was working underneath a house above uc berkeley, rebuilding the foundation, three corners of it on jacks, the day loma prieta hit. thankfully, i was on hwy 13 in my 442 olds heading home from the job when it hit. just thought i blew a tire or something. the house didn't fall, but i might have had a heart attack had i still been there when it hit!

As a life-long Bay Area native, I've just learned to accept earthquakes as a fact of life. However, Loma Prieta was a doozy. I was actually on the phone with my mom when it hit; she felt it (and told us) a few seconds before it hit us. My sister was attending UCSF at the time and she really got to "experience" it. Fortunately she wasn't in her dorm at the time because the wardrobe got thrown across the room.

Quakes were a common occurrence when we lived in Japan (obviously). We'd hit the 6's fairly often. Every now and then though you'd get one that would last longer than most. Those were a little scary. We'd get a few picture frames knocked off the walls but never anything strong enough to bring down a building. Since we moved back to the states I haven't felt a single one. Today's included. We just missed the BIG one in Alaska back in '64. We lived in Japan when dad got transferred to Anchorage (I'm an Air Force brat). We were supposed to arrive the day of the quake but my mom was pregnant with my sister at the time and was sick so our departure was pushed back two weeks.

i grew up in the bay area. i was working underneath a house above uc berkeley, rebuilding the foundation, three corners of it on jacks, the day loma prieta hit. thankfully, i was on hwy 13 in my 442 olds heading home from the job when it hit. just thought i blew a tire or something. the house didn't fall, but i might have had a heart attack had i still been there when it hit!

Heh.

I was on the way home from work early with a really bad flu in my '67 Fairlane GTA convertible when
Loma Prieta happened. I was roughly 13 miles from the epicenter and my car started bouncing up and down.
I thought I broke something in the suspension until I saw the telephone poles whipping around. Went home
and went to sleep without even bothering to pick up my stuff scattered around the apartment.

Yeah the national geological institute just said that we experienced an 7.6 pucker factor in my pants. ;)

From what I understand because it was shallow and the fault line is so long that it spread from Georgia to Toronto. All I know is that it shook the whole building back and forth and sounded like a freight train. I suppose I'm just not seasoned like all you veterans. I was lucky, I lived in CA for a few years and never had a single rattle, lived in Ohio, never had a single tornado (I was right around Xenia where it's supposed to be pretty bad). I remember watching the tornado safety videos and being scared to death thinking that they happened all the time.

I'm just glad that so far there are no major injuries reported.

So I just found out that the epicenter of the quake was in Virginia. One of the people here at my job was calling for health benefits and the place he was calling was in Virginia. He was on the phone for 30 minutes with no one picking up. Gee I wonder why? :lol

We felt it here in Southwestern Virginia. It actually took about 20 seconds for my mind to accept what was happening. I could understand if the Californian's made fun of us for overreacting a bit but wow, that was the strangest thing I've ever been through. We don't get many natural disasters where I live but after the tornadoes back in April (which are also a rarity out here) and now this, I'm just glad no one seems to be hurt.

Hey I never said earthquakes are fun. Especially for people who have never experienced one. Hell a tornado once hit where I lived (didn't touchdown) but that was random and scary and I bet people from Oklahoma are giggling with that. As long as no one gets hurt, we can live and laugh :D

I live in Virginia Beach here. I"ll tell ya, although it was a small quake, we're definetly not used to this here. Drivers here are bad enough, add to that a potential natural disaster.... I'm sure anyone who has driven through here gets the point lol! Only 25 other known quakes in VA since it became a state! Theres been a lot of weird stuff happening here as of late...... can you say 2012 hehe! I'm ready.

Sammetal91 - Yes, sorry, I didn't mean that it was coming from you. There were a few people on the news today mocking us! No big deal though, I'm laid back about that stuff. You could jab me about it and I'd laugh and agree with you. I almost turned into George Costanza from "The Fire" episode! Hahaha.

Capricorn - Yeah, the traffic in VA Beach is...ummm...interesting. Lol! Stay safe this weekend. Let's hope Irene keeps turning right!

@khawk the news? Really? Wow we really don't have souls! :lol no worries I'm not offended or anything. I'm Californian after all :D

I live in MD and felt the earthquake today at work... I've never felt one before, so this was pretty strange. For about a half an hour I didn't feel safe being in the building, then that passed. Maybe I'm a wuss, but I don't like things that can threaten my life and I don't have any control over them. :)

Back
Top Bottom