Ear Protection thoughts:

I went cheap and "generic" (not custom molded) with the Hearos High Fidelity models. They are up to 12dB of cut. IME they are great for preventing ringing and volume fatigue for me afterwards when practicing in a small room standing next to a hard hitting drummer on a strong acoustic set. And guitars/bass/vocals set to appropriate combat level.

Yeah those Hearos plugs are hard to beat for $10. Not perfect by any stretch, but much clearer sounding than disposable foam plugs.

How much did they cost?

My buddy went to get his hearing tested and got them for CAD 120. Since he referred me to the place I got my hearing tested as well, they charged me a discounted price (or so they told me...) of CAD 120 as well. Seems they would sell for CAD 180, but I'm sure CAD 120 would be a fair price. Best hearing protection I've used in the last 30 years. I usually play the stacks at ~112 db peaks or so.

For the last 10 yrs. I have been using earmolds with Westone -9db filters whoever we attend a concert or club performance. After 10 min my brain is conditioned and even reacts poorly if I take them out for a moment. So much nicer to drive home without that sound hangover. Playing live I use IEMS at setting of medium loud TV, just enough that I feel some power such I move around on stage. Again,sure beats driving home with cymbal deafness in one ear from proximity to the drummer.

Probably overcompensating now for some teen years playing loud (and hunting) with no protection.

Back
Top Bottom