Ear Molds for IEMs

slinky005

Power User
All other members in my band ditched the molds for their IEMs.
I have kept mine for 3 years or so but now find that it doesn't sit in my ear consistently and I tend to lose bottom end when this happens. Happens many times during a song actually.
Do any of you who use the molds get new ones made after a certain period?
As I age is my ear canal changing (I'm 55).

From what I've read, the cartilage in your ears (and nose) never stops growing, so the fit can be a little different as years go by.

I've had mine going on like 5-6 years and still fit fine. Might get remolded though as I don't like the cable I have.

Spoke to an audiologist today... she was telling me that another very common reason for molds changing fit is from common bodily changes like weight fluctuations and water retention.

So you lose weight and your in-ears might not fit.

@slinky005 did you use a bite block when your molds were made?

My brother is an audiologist and he suggested I get my molds made using a bite block.

It let's them get the molds without your mouth being completely closed, It keeps the ear canal more in the shape of like when you are singing.

My problem was I was losing seal when I sang.

Spoke to an audiologist today... she was telling me that another very common reason for molds changing fit is from common bodily changes like weight fluctuations and water retention.

So you lose weight and your in-ears might not fit.
So sorry, honey - I can't lose weight...my in-ears will fall out! //munches cheesburger

@slinky005 did you use a bite block when your molds were made?

My brother is an audiologist and he suggested I get my molds made using a bite block.

It let's them get the molds without your mouth being completely closed, It keeps the ear canal more in the shape of like when you are singing.

My problem was I was losing seal when I sang.
No bite block.

Mine are swap-able. Are yours glued?

No I have the Fidelity custom triple drivers, I think they went belly up. very nice product, just hampered by bad service. Anyway they have a gold mini plug that goes in on the face of the bud, and to make a new cable I have to buy a set of shure removable cables cut off ends, and buy the ends and solder on. Don't have to do it that often, but it's a pain. I would like to find some that are more easily replaceable, and are recessed to help with sweat.

No I have the Fidelity custom triple drivers, I think they went belly up. very nice product, just hampered by bad service. Anyway they have a gold mini plug that goes in on the face of the bud, and to make a new cable I have to buy a set of shure removable cables cut off ends, and buy the ends and solder on. Don't have to do it that often, but it's a pain. I would like to find some that are more easily replaceable, and are recessed to help with sweat.

I was blaming my seal problems on sweat but they hold great with my new molds during the worse of the hot stage onslaughts so far :)

Humid and hot as hell here in Alabama for a lot of the summer and fall even.

I dont have any seal issues, i just dont like the connector, it can get moist and funky over time. I wipe my stuff down immediately after performing. Last show we did i had a beanie on and they got pretty moist. much like the front row, lol, j/k.

Back
Top Bottom