E-Drum kit suggestions

I practice with headphones, especially because of the acoustic drums. It's just too damn loud without them (I have some Vic Firth isolation cans esp. for drums). I also preferred headphones with the e-drums as well. With e-drums you're still going to get some noise, but it's generally manageable unless you have especially sensitive neighbors. You can try some sound isolation for the kick pedal itself, but there's only so much you can do and it's usually not an issue. EQ wise, the electronic kits are usually already mixed so I didn't have to adjust them very much, but the acoustic drums took a bit of additional setup. My biggest issue with e-drums is crosstalk which I've had to manage within the module itself but also using gates and sidechain compression.

I am a stubborn old fuck who has had the Cops called on him more than once. I still play live through a pair
of dual 15s on each side of me. Live amps and vocals, too. Headphones are a last resort and I cry the whole
time I am wearing them. ;)

Last time the Police where hear (after midnight no less!) they said it sounded good. "We could both tell it was live and
not just the stereo playing," they said. I asked them to have a beer and stick around for another song. They laughed. Then
I apologized for having to have them come over.

I am a rotten influence. Don't be me.

I am a stubborn old fuck who has had the Cops called on him more than once. I still play live through a pair
of dual 15s on each side of me. Live amps and vocals, too. Headphones are a last resort and I cry the whole
time I am wearing them. ;)

Last time the Police where hear (after midnight no less!) they said it sounded good. "We could both tell it was live and
not just the stereo playing," they said. I asked them to have a beer and stick around for another song. They laughed. Then
I apologized for having to have them come over.

I am a rotten influence. Don't be me.
I bet the Police were relieved to respond to a call and find a dude just enjoying his instruments and not some domestic dispute etc...I'll bet they would have rather stuck around and enjoyed that beer too! Funny story, my parents are/were both deaf (both have passed) and had seven of us boys who ironically, were all super musical. In fact, my older brothers played regular at gigs. I grew up around drums, guitars ..everything. That's what really lit the fire for my musical interests. There were a few times the cops came to the house when the boys were playing and my parents were like meh, we're deaf doesn't bother us....our poor neighbors hahha. But hey, at least we weren't running a meth lab in the basement. Just wholesome canadian boys rockin out.

I signed up for the Drumeo 30 day trial. Already burning through a few lessons which is proving very beneficial. Knowing the basics of just how to hold your stick properly, angle of hits etc etc. Its a bit like choosing your kung fu style..will I be crane? tiger? drunken monkey? Looking forward to the learning curves. My guitars are staring me down with very judgemental looks though. I've been neglecting them as of late.

I've used regulars and not had any issues. Shouldn't impact the sound in any way. You can play with your fingers and get the same sounds on an electronic drum. I'm not sure if nylon is supposed to be easier on the heads. Maybe others can weigh in.

Light sticks (7A for me) seems more important to me than those yanky nylon tips. My beef goes way back
with how those nylon tips ruin the face of a gorgeous cymbal. F**k them to hell and back!! ;)

Light sticks (7A for me) seems more important to me than those yanky nylon tips. My beef goes way back
with how those nylon tips ruin the face of a gorgeous cymbal. F**k them to hell and back!! ;)

Splinters and mesh heads don’t go well together...... I’d use nylons but that’s just me....

Splinters and mesh heads don’t go well together...... I’d use nylons but that’s just me....

Splinters come from hitting real cymbals though, and hitting them hard. That is a non-issue with
mesh pads and e-cymbals. If someone gets to "splinters" hitting an E-kit I wanna see it. :)

Splinters come from hitting real cymbals though, and hitting them hard. That is a non-issue with
mesh pads and e-cymbals. If someone gets to "splinters" hitting an E-kit I wanna see it. :)
But drummers may be switching between kits or using hybrid ones... Most likely using the same sticks.

I think both Roland and Alesis recommend nylon tips with mesh heads.

I have a hybrid kit of acoustic and electronic drums. I mostly play the acoustic kit and use the electronics for additional sounds (cowbell, closed hi-hats, etc.). I tend to favor a bit harder wood (heyohhh), having played Promark kashi oak (Neil Peart) sticks for a long time, but I've been playing Promark Rebounds here lately. I don't hit the living hell out of the drums when I play, so maybe that's part of it, but I've never had any issue with the tips damaging the mesh heads. As in all things, YMMV.

These sticks get daily use of up to an hour or more. They are over a year old. Not one single sliver in sight,
and I use a natural ride and hi-hat setup.

20220726_135913.jpg

20220726_135936.jpg

But drummers may be switching between kits or using hybrid ones... Most likely using the same sticks.

I think both Roland and Alesis recommend nylon tips with mesh heads.

But I am an actual drummer and have played both traditional and E-kits (and am using an hybrid kit now).
I am simply sharing my ACTUAL experience here because we were asked to. It's that simple.

Feel free to counter and shoot that down. ;)

When I was at Long & Mcquade the drum guys all just said meh, use regular sticks. Especially in my situation its all edrums. I'll just keep an eye on wear and tear on the sticks which shouldn't be much. I'm just hitting mesh and rubber pretty much

Feel free to counter and shoot that down. ;)
Actual data points are great!

From the look of those sticks, I'm guessing you're a pretty accurate drummer and also probably know how to play letting your fingers and wrists do all the work instead of your arms... Which means you also know many drummers are not in that class ;)

After a week or so of burning through these Drumeo lessons I'll say this shit is addictive and fun. I'm wishing I had started this years ago. Here's a shot of the kit fully put together. Using ipad with Bluetooth for playing along is awesome

Attachments

• Drums.jpg
    Drums.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Another question for you guys. Anyone have experience with Drum-tec sound packs/kits? I was looking at a few packages and the sound demos are pretty good. Was considering the Allstars, Rock classics or Real Acoustics edition. To clarify these are for the roland modules. Are these basically just like optimized user presets like you can buy here? it does seem some of what is included are non roland samples layered in.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom