E-Drum kit suggestions

I'm not a drummer. I finger drum pretty good on the keyboard and have long thought about an E kit. I have Superior Drummer 3 and wondering what Kit would be adequate. $1-2K. Thoughts??
I am interested in this idea also, but my main target is to learn jazz drumming. SD3 would be fine for me for sound, but I would also like to keep the kit fairly compact. I don't really have a problem with making moderate noise in my environment. I have reached the conclusion that a hybrid setup may well be necessary for developing certain techniques particularly in the high-hat and cymbal arena. So I am struggling between starting with an eKit like the Strike Pro SE, TD-17/27 range, or others similar and then customizing from there? Or is just going full customization in the first place with a jazz setup in mind a better approach? I would love to hear from jazzers what you think the best hybrid mix might be? This set would be used primarily for learning, composing, and recording. But I don't really want too many limitations to progress including the possibility to even use the kit live once in a while. Anyone gone down this particular road or similar? Thanks all for all the input so far!

Jazz = stay away from an e-kit. Far away! :)

E-kits lag and suffer in precisely the ways you need a kit to shine
when playing jazz. Cymbals, and a super responsive snare are not
where e kits shine, in my experience.

I'd recommend a nice acoustic Bop Kit. Very compact. The issue with
that is then micing it up for recording.

Jazz = stay away from an e-kit. Far away! :)

E-kits lag and suffer in precisely the ways you need a kit to shine
when playing jazz. Cymbals, and a super responsive snare are not
where e kits shine, in my experience.

I'd recommend a nice acoustic Bop Kit. Very compact. The issue with
that is then micing it up for recording.
OK, I've heard a lot of this as conventional wisdom that has been repeated for years and even decades now. But in the mean time leading edge eKit lag and responsiveness has much improved over that time and I would really like to hear very specifically what acoustic pieces would still need to be substituted into a hybrid set and what really do not and why? I just don't believe that "Far away" is still accurate these days. I may well be wrong about that, but I would like to hear the details if so. The hybrid kit really does help simplify the composing and recording setup with DAWs like Ableton Live and I want to make sure that I really would not be happy with the results if that is indeed the case. But I need to know specifically why without just the repeated blanket statement of no jazz on eKits period. Know what I mean? Please convince me that this is truly a bad idea.

Also I would like to add that jazz is a big word and means quite a variety of different things to different musicians and listeners. I am not just talking about traditional straight ahead, acoustic trio and quartet style jazz. That is only one segment of jazz and I am interested in the full breadth of it.

Last edited:
OK, I've heard a lot of this as conventional wisdom that has been repeated for years and even decades now. But in the mean time leading edge eKit lag and responsiveness has much improved over that time and I would really like to hear very specifically what acoustic pieces would still need to be substituted into a hybrid set and what really do not and why? I just don't believe that "Far away" is still accurate these days. I may well be wrong about that, but I would like to hear the details if so. The hybrid kit really does help simplify the composing and recording setup with DAWs like Ableton Live and I want to make sure that I really would not be happy with the results if that is indeed the case. But I need to know specifically why without just the repeated blanket statement of no jazz on eKits period. Know what I mean? Please convince me that this is truly a bad idea.

Also I would like to add that jazz is a big word and means quite a variety of different things to different musicians and listeners. I am not just talking about traditional straight ahead, acoustic trio and quartet style jazz. That is only one segment of jazz and I am interested in the full breadth of it.
Look into low volume cymbals... They are very quiet and work in conjunction with a small "processor" and small mics that are attached to the cymbals.

Then you're playing a real cymbal but very low acoustic volume, so you get all the feel and response. With in-ears they really shine!

I can check with my drummer on which ones he's tried (I can't remember which ones he brought).

These days he does everything except kick and hi-hat controller via a Zendrum hand controller (he has muscular dystrophy so it's easier than a normal kit).

The snare of the Strike kit is extremely sensitive... Not sure it would work with brushes, but aside from that it's really good.

Look into low volume cymbals... They are very quiet and work in conjunction with a small "processor" and small mics that are attached to the cymbals.

Then you're playing a real cymbal but very low acoustic volume, so you get all the feel and response. With in-ears they really shine!

I can check with my drummer on which ones he's tried (I can't remember which ones he brought).

These days he does everything except kick and hi-hat controller via a Zendrum hand controller (he has muscular dystrophy so it's easier than a normal kit).

The snare of the Strike kit is extremely sensitive... Not sure it would work with brushes, but aside from that it's really good.
Thanks for that man. It gives me some path for exploration that I wasn't aware of. I will check into all of that!

I'm leaning towards Roland just for the quality and resell factor of these kits. The durability of Roland mesh heads seem to be very robust. What I'd really like is the TD-17kvx

Damn this rabbit hole...i keep expanding my price range. Been looking at this Yamaha DTX8 kit which aesthetically is much cooler than the roland. pricey though. It'd be more than the Roland TD17KVXS though this Yammy kit comes with the snare and hi hat stand
1657321451321.png

Damn this rabbit hole...i keep expanding my price range. Been looking at this Yamaha DTX8 kit which aesthetically is much cooler than the roland. pricey though. It'd be more than the Roland TD17KVXS though this Yammy kit comes with the snare and hi hat stand
View attachment 104626
Those look pretty cool. Wonder how long it takes to get em back in stock?

Speaking of rabbit holes...because no one asked for it. Here's the latest version of Frankendrums from the 24th and 1/2 century. I added two of the 8" trigger pads for miscellaneous percussion a la cowbell, wood block, triangle, etc. A little pricey new, but I got the pair for $100 used on eBay. They're dual-zone so you can have separate sounds for the rim and heads. All of my Roland drums are that way, the ride cymbal as well. The crashes are single zone.

Brought in a rarely used 4k TV for my monitor and adjusted the setup a bit. I'm anticipating there will still be some more fine-tuning, but I like to try a new layout for a while before I make further changes. It is indeed a rabbit hole. What started as an e-drum kit eventually motivated an acoustic kit. It's every bit as bad as GAS for guitar.

IMG_5873.JPEG

In Canada they're pretty much all out of stock at long & mccuade and store rep told me there's a queue of buyers for the kit waiting. Supply chain issues
on and off looking at sets too - also noticed nothing in L+M - amazing how some products / brands affected and others not. Haven't seen a Marshall amp in L+M for years now but H+K in stock all day long.

Granted they don't see heavy daily play, but the mesh heads on my TD-30 still feel the same as new eight years after I bought them.

I have replaced one mesh head (for the kick) in the last 10 years. Some are original.

One of the benefits is you don't have to beat the piss out of them with 2Bs like some
cats do on acoustic kits. I use 7As and get all the feel and power I need.

Speaking of rabbit holes...because no one asked for it. Here's the latest version of Frankendrums from the 24th and 1/2 century. I added two of the 8" trigger pads for miscellaneous percussion a la cowbell, wood block, triangle, etc. A little pricey new, but I got the pair for $100 used on eBay. They're dual-zone so you can have separate sounds for the rim and heads. All of my Roland drums are that way, the ride cymbal as well. The crashes are single zone.

Brought in a rarely used 4k TV for my monitor and adjusted the setup a bit. I'm anticipating there will still be some more fine-tuning, but I like to try a new layout for a while before I make further changes. It is indeed a rabbit hole. What started as an e-drum kit eventually motivated an acoustic kit. It's every bit as bad as GAS for guitar.

View attachment 104640

Wall of Drums! :)

So I was doing my daily browsing on L&M website on the gearhunter section and low and behold: a used kit Roland TD17KVXS for $1999. It was just listed today. Its in another city and they're going to xfer to my local store. What a find. $700 off reg price. Rep told me it was rented out by one person for the entire year and in excellent condition. The search is complete. Now i wait for them to ship. Here's a pic. The hi hat stand not included. Its just for display
1657397512199.png

Back
Top Bottom