E-Drum kit suggestions

A little late to the party, but for what it's worth I've been happy with Roland. I went all in several years ago with a TD30 kit that I still have today. I finally ended up combining it with my acoustic kit for a "Frankendrums from the 24th & 1/2 century" kind of vibe a few months ago. The onboard sounds are okay, but you really open the possibilities with VST drums. For day to day use, I don't generally bother with firing up the VST, but it's crucial for recording.

I primarily use Superior Drummer, but there are many options out there. Roland offers cheaper options that still sound great and allow VST triggering, but you get what you pay for in ergonomics. The better and more "drummy" feeling (that's a technical term, don't trouble yourself...), generally the more expensive they will be. I'd start with one of the budget options that at least gives you the essentials - hihat, snare, kick, maybe a couple of toms and cymbals and a decent enough drum module that has onboard sounds/functions and also has midi output for VST triggering. You can always upgrade later if needed. If I was in your budget range, I'd go for something like this:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TD17KVSet--roland-v-drums-td-17kv-electronic-drum-set

And in case anyone was curious, here's the Frankendrums in their natural habitat. It still needs some work before I'm happy with it. View attachment 100897

Wow, that is Cool, Cool, Cool! :)

A few years ago I fell into the drummer role in a modern rock cover band and ended up using
an hybrid setup. Triggered bass and toms, acoustic snare, hats, and cymbals. Got the punch and
drive where I needed it on the kick and toms, and then all the dynamics from the acoustic snare
and cymbals. Best of both worlds! :)

Revisiting this thread as I've been doing a little more research and factoring in your comments here. The two main factors I'm weighing are price point and quality/feel of the set. I get what Alesis is. You can get a lot of drum (quantity in pcs) for less money with lesser quality sounds/module and/or mesh pad quality. That being said I see a lot of love for their Alesis Strike and Strike pro but right there thats more than I'd want to spend. Most I'd spend is $2000 but preferably somewhere between $1000-1500(CAD).

Also, modules...higher end Alesis will be nicer...and enter Roland modules say somewhere at the TD-17kvs/kvx will be nicer. But, I do plan to use Superior Drummer 3.0 to trigger so will the module really even matter? so with that in mind i'd rather nicer kit...better feeling pads and just a module with some okay internal sounds but more used to trigger VST....

For about $1300-1500....I could go with a new Alesis Crimson II SE. From what i understand the pads are quite similar to the Strike set but a lesser module of course. Also Roland Td-17kvs kit I found used for $1500. $500 less than new priced (these are CAD prices)

Other thoughts: do you all care about sets with an actual snare stand and/or hihat stand?

Last edited:
Used older Roland module that has MIDI so you can trigger SD. :) The in the box sounds
won't matter if all you are doing is using them to trigger SD. MIDI is essential, though.

Toontrack makes it easy as they automatically recognize your brain/module and make
set up a breeze.

Mesh heads matter a LOT when it comes to feel. You can tune them for response like
actual drums.

I use an actual hi hat stand with mine. More stable. Mounting the snare to the rack
has felt cheesy to me. Just not as solid.

I am a drummer, too, and have played in various bands as a gigging drummer, so maybe
I am more picky than your average Bear. :)

I'd go for as good as you can get, and used money always gets you more than new money,
in my experience. :)

This is my kit, just to give you an idea of some possibilities.

View attachment 104406
That's a nice hybrid setup. I imagine for someone who is a drummer and has that acoustic frame of reference you'd not want to compromise on feel on certain things - e,g an actual hi hat or proper drum kick setup. I'm going to the local shop today to scope out a few kits and get a better sense of the differences

You edrummers...are you mostly relying on the module on your kits or triggering VST's. I'm between two kits and the Roland obvs has the better module. I'm wondering if its worth doing slight jump up to the TD-17kvs for better pads and module but it has one less symbol and no basket for the snare (which isnt critical at this point). Roland pcs bought separate are quite pricey. an extra symbol is around $300! yowsa.

the used roland with less pcs is about same price as the Alesis Crimson II se. Though the Alesis comes with everything i'd need to get going right off the bat. I will say i like the rack of the Alesis beter too the way it adjusts and so forth and the aesthetics of the pads being deeper is a small point

Last edited:
I have the Roland TD-30 as described in my previous post. I mostly use the onboard sounds when I practice, but if I was recording I would use VSTs as well. I appreciate that the module is decent, although I have one stock kit that I use most of the time. Triggering VSTs is a no-brainer for me, you get so much more choice that way. I can't speak for the quality of Alesis, but the mesh heads on my kit do feel pretty good, although they have more bounce than my acoustic kit. Head tension adjustments can be made, but in general, there's definitely a different feel to the mesh heads, not necessarily bad, just different. If you're wavering between those two kits, is there any feasible way to check them out in person?

You can record the sounds from the module but also record the midi output.

You can then feed the the midi into a VST and "re-drum" (like re-amping) by adjusting the VST sounds to suit.

In my band's earlier days our drummer used an older Alesis with ok 16-bit sounds (only for kick, toms and some percussion - he played a hybrid kit).

Our engineer would do some Sound Replacer magic in ProTools and add high quality samples triggered from the original tracks. Then they could be blended in as needed.

Not sure why we didn't think of recording midi back then!

You edrummers...are you mostly relying on the module on your kits or triggering VST's. I'm between two kits and the Roland obvs has the better module. I'm wondering if its worth doing slight jump up to the TD-17kvs for better pads and module but it has one less symbol and no basket for the snare (which isnt critical at this point). Roland pcs bought separate are quite pricey. an extra symbol is around $300! yowsa.

the used roland with less pcs is about same price as the Alesis Crimson II se. Though the Alesis comes with everything i'd need to get going right off the bat. I will say i like the rack of the Alesis beter too the way it adjusts and so forth and the aesthetics of the pads being deeper is a small point

I'll warn its a rabbit hole! I bought a TD-17KVXS and now have 3 rack toms and two floor toms, bunch of cymbals a pearl mimic and now an acoustic drum kit LMAO.

TD-17KVXS is a really good unit though...trick is to pick up used gear when upgrading.

I came across another roland td17kvs on the local used market. has an extra symbol, includes kick pedal and throne decent price. Its had two owners. do these kits take a fair amount of wear/abuse? Seems roland quality is more regarded long term vs Alesis in this regard...

I'll warn its a rabbit hole!
Tell me about it. I can already see where this leads and I still have time to get out. I keep asking myself if this is a mid life crisis kinda thing in lieu of the red sports car. I will say I"ve always gravitated to drums and felt I was always destined to learn them but I could be wrong ha.

I came across another roland td17kvs on the local used market. has an extra symbol, includes kick pedal and throne decent price. Its had two owners. do these kits take a fair amount of wear/abuse? Seems roland quality is more regarded long term vs Alesis in this regard...

Man, if it is a good price I'd jump. :)

My kit is over 20 years old and played almost daily. The only thing I have
had to do was replace the battery in the module.

Man, if it is a good price I'd jump. :)

My kit is over 20 years old and played almost daily. The only thing I have
had to do was replace the battery in the module.
That's good to know. Kit is already priced pretty good. Its same price as a used kit at a local shop but this private sale has more included and I'm going to make an offer. If accepted it would be a very good deal...will keep y'all posted

The only weak link on those newer Roland units is really the harness. Older units you
ran independent cables for each pad to the module, but now they have an all inclusive
harness you connect to the module. I'd really look that over good and make sure it is
not pinched or frayed and in good working condition.

Just an FYI.

The only weak link on those newer Roland units is really the harness. Older units you
ran independent cables for each pad to the module, but now they have an all inclusive
harness you connect to the module. I'd really look that over good and make sure it is

Just an FYI.
thanks for the tip! yeah thats' exactly the kind of thing I need to know. I think I remember reading something about that online now that you mention it. Seems no matter what kit...there are the quirks of each to be aware of

after a close look at this guy's ad with pics it's got me a little confused. The module actually shows TD-17-L. this is the non blue tooth lower version of the 17 lineup...but the mesh pads look like they've been upgraded as they are white. From what i googled the TD-L kit...pads are typically black. So i'm thinking between the 2 owners this kit has been changed up a bit. Confirmed with owner it is the L module. The appeal of this purchase is becoming less enticing. The pads are pretty small on this kit. toms are 6's floor tom an 8" ; snare 8". All that glitters is not gold lol

Last edited:
Tell me about it. I can already see where this leads and I still have time to get out. I keep asking myself if this is a mid life crisis kinda thing in lieu of the red sports car. I will say I"ve always gravitated to drums and felt I was always destined to learn them but I could be wrong ha.

Yes likewise for me but I didn't get out in time hahah.

I'm seriously kicking myself I didn't get an ekit 10 years ago ...I'd probably be killer now.
I went back and watched some old band videos and was shocked to see how wrong some of the drummers I played with played the songs which stings even more knowing what I might have been like.
A lot of drummers are like guitar heroes to me.
I've been in the same apartment all the time but there are a bunch of tools (adoro silent sticks/beaters) you can get to keep down the vol.

Make sure you read up on patches for felt beaters and nylon tips on mesh heads.

Just an FYI.

Just a tip if you plug in the harness and touch the TRS/TS ends it trigger the sounds (headphones) so at least if you buy a second hand module you can check in person.

I've had several Roland kits. Currently have a TD-11 kit with some mesh pads. Anything Roland makes will last forever, same with Yamaha. I think Yamaha makes super cool kits because of their textures silicone pads they use. They have a great feel to them. Also Yamaha kits sound better than Roland, IMO. Granted, you'll be using SD3 but still something to consider.

thanks for the tip! yeah thats' exactly the kind of thing I need to know. I think I remember reading something about that online now that you mention it. Seems no matter what kit...there are the quirks of each to be aware of

after a close look at this guy's ad with pics it's got me a little confused. The module actually shows TD-17-L. this is the non blue tooth lower version of the 17 lineup...but the mesh pads look like they've been upgraded as they are white. From what i googled the TD-L kit...pads are typically black. So i'm thinking between the 2 owners this kit has been changed up a bit. Confirmed with owner it is the L module. The appeal of this purchase is becoming less enticing. The pads are pretty small on this kit. toms are 6's floor tom an 8" ; snare 8". All that glitters is not gold lol

Bummer. Yeah, those tiny ass pads are tiny ass. ;)

It can help with your precision, but not much else. Not much of a strike zone.
10" are kind of the minimum for me. I want to replicate the size and feel of a
an acooustic kit as much as possible.

Back
Top Bottom