Wish Dynamic input level drive block interactions for fuzz tones

lqdsnddist

Axe-Master
I'm not sure if this is all and all technically feasible, but here is what I'd like to see implemented and a little background.

As I'm sure most know, when you've got a fuzz pedal, especially a germanium fuzz, plugged into first in your chain, there is a really cool dynamic interaction with the guitars volume pot. You can go for all out fuzz to totally clean (depending on the pedal) with a fairly small adjustment of the volume pot.

On the Axe, when you roll the volume down to say, 5 or 6, it just gets really weak output, hardly any level etc, while on the real pedal its still got plenty of output, and its just spanking clean, really cool sound, and different than just the amps clean tone. I actually like the fuzz cleanup tone better than raging fuzz tones....

Anyways, this can't be avoided because the Axe, like any digital device, is akin to running a buffer before the fuzz, and that kills the dynamic cleanup. Same thing is true if you use a wireless, run a Boss or other buffered pedal, wah without a "fuzz friendly" buffer etc. Simply can't get that same interaction between guitar pickup circuit and fuzz via a cable any other way. Just got to accept that part.

HOWEVER, it is still possible to get those rolled back volume knob tones out of the Axe drive block, you just need to adjust the drive level, output etc, in addition to changing your volume pot setting. Your NOT going to get the ability to totally change the tone with just the volume pot alone, but you can pretty closely model how a real fuzz sounds at different volume pot settings, with additional control tweaks.

What I've been doing is having an x/y state of the same block, set for my volume knob at 7 and at 10, and I change the block state, as well as the volume knob, to get two different fuzz tones. On the III with the 4 channels there should be even more options for doing this.

It works well enough, and now that I've hopefully explained the background for my wish, here is what I'm hoping for......

A control parameter that could be added to the drive block which could be designed to dynamically modify several parameters based on input level, so, when you roll back the volume knob, and the input level gets reduced from less pickup output, the drive block would automatically do things like reduce the drive, increase the volume etc, in order to more closely change how a fuzz cleans-up but keeps its level. Perhaps something like the ability to "morph" between two different drive block settings, ala x/y based on dynamics.

This obviously wouldn't be perfect, but I think it would be really cool to be able to change the sound and feel of the tone with just the volume knob. Having to change the volume knob position, and then also hit a foot switch to change block state, or adjust parameters with an expression pedal is just a lot of extra things to do, and its so quick and easy to just make a quick adjustment of the volume knob while playing. I never used to use the VC on my guitars but now I've really come to appreciate it.

I also really do still enjoy my hardware fuzz pedals and they work great, but, I also like being able to do it all "in the box", as well as sometimes use wireless etc. Anything that could make it closer to playing a corded fuzz with all its cleanup while using nothing but modeling would be really cool.

Again, don't know if something like this is feasible but thought it was worth suggesting in the event no one has considered it before.

On a related note, I know there is the input impedance settings in the input block on the III, and perhaps this could be dynamically changed as well ?? I don't know the specifics of what happens in a fuzz circuit when you change the guitar volume pot, but I have noticed changes in how the fuzz reacts based upon how I've set the impedance. Fuzz sounds cool with it reduced, but other things like the bypassed amp tone sounds a bit "off" when its not at the typical "auto" or 1M setting.

Haven't tried, but just thinking 'aloud' here... can the input block have scene controllers or channels ??

If there isn't any feasible dynamic adjustments possible, if the settings of the input, and impedance, could be linked to change with a channel change of the drive block and resulting parameters, that might goes a ways towards helping change the cleanup behavior of the drive block as well. Less in-between settings, but a more realistic clean and then mean fuzz tone you could toggle between would still be pretty cool

Isnt the impedance selector (physical cap and resistor on the axe) meant to model exactly what you are referring to? Then the volume knob would react close to the real deal? I've not tried this but I believe that was the intent. Maybe it's not getting the results though.

Isnt the impedance selector (physical cap and resistor on the axe) meant to model exactly what you are referring to? Then the volume knob would react close to the real deal? I've not tried this but I believe that was the intent. Maybe it's not getting the results though.

This control was on the II as well, and it does change the tone, but I think your still effectively not getting the effect of the guitar circuit and a fuzz 'seeing' each other as the Axe still acts like a buffer. There is the AD conversion etc that has to take place and I think due to this your just not going to get the real pickup circuit and the virtual fuzz circuit to interact the same.

On the II though I don't you could change impedance with channels or anything, so the III might at least make the impedance adjustments more useful.

This could also prove useful with the vibe settings as well by the way. IIRC the original uni-vibes had a rather odd impedance and really changed the tone of the signal path, even when bypassed (no true bypass I'm sure either) and this contributed a good part to Jimi's tone. The pedals he ran, the order of the pedals, his long coily cables, etc all affected the tone in a unique way, and I think this is why when so many vibe pedals I've bought in the past just don't have the right sound, being too bright etc, because they are a typical modern impedance

Back
Top Bottom