Wish Dynamic expression pedal assignment

unix-guy

Master of RTFM
Back in December 2018 I was privileged to be a reviewer for the FC manual before it was released.

During this process, I made the following suggestion to Matt:

On another note, I think it would be great to add one more function: the ability to dynamically assign the External controller for a given FC pedal jack.

As I'm sure you know, this is something requested a lot for the Axe Fx II and MFC. I could do this on my Gordius controller when I was using it and it's super powerful.

Matt's reply:
I will work on an implementation plan for dynamic pedal controller assignments.
Can you outline a full scenario for how you'd use these so I don't miss anything?

My follow-up:
For the dynamic pedal assignment, here's what I used to do with the Gordius:

In my preset, I have both a Wah and Whammy set for auto engage. Each is assigned to be controlled by a different controller. I assigned an IA switch to toggle between two different controller pedals.

This allowed me to use my expression pedal to control my Wah by default but at the press of a button, I can then control the Whammy. No need to change scenes, use any fancy routing, etc. Simple.

I can imagine options to allow selection of a specific port -> external mapping, a toggle feature and an increment/decrement feature. Similar to the preset, scene and channel functions.

Hopefully that makes sense? I think it's pretty self-explanatory.

I still think this would be a fantastic ability to have with the FCs.

A recent thread where this solution would be the perfect fit just came up and reminded me, so I figured I'd make a formal wish :)

I was just thinking about this the other day while looking at alternatives like the Mission Expressionator. Absolutely would love to see this item implemented along with Scene Independent Blocks. Both of those items alone would be ground-breaking IMO.

Both this and the Scene Independant blocks mentioned by @biskitboy have been on my mind recently.

I created a routing setup with parallel Volume/Wah/Whammy blocks each controlled by External 1, and a mixer block in order to try and let me control them one at a time from the same pedal. Mixer channels switched between feeding the three different channels and muting the others.

But this needed the separate mixer block (which this wish might help), and because the mixer block isn't Scene independent changing scenes can also change which effect is currently audible. One other limitation is I'd actually prefer the volume block be after the amp, but that was more complicated to route. This wish would also make that possible.

Both this and the Scene Independant blocks mentioned by @biskitboy have been on my mind recently.

I created a routing setup with parallel Volume/Wah/Whammy blocks each controlled by External 1, and a mixer block in order to try and let me control them one at a time from the same pedal. Mixer channels switched between feeding the three different channels and muting the others.
Try using the Multiplexor instead of the Mixer block... Won't solve your scene issue but it'll probably make selecting the desired effect much simpler.

With my FM9 soon to be delivered and only having 3 expression jacks while I like having 4 pedals, I would like to respectfully bump this thread and tag @Admin M@.

Now, my assumption is this would apply to FM3/FM9 as well so I won't create other wishes for those devices.

This ability to dynamically assign expression pedals is available in a number of other controllers and very cool!

Back
Top Bottom