Wish Dynamic EQ

You sort of already have that with the EQ in the amp block.

You can attach envelope or adsr modifiers to each of the bands..

That was discussed twice above. It's not the same because the ADSR modifier is affected by the entire signal, not just the frequency range we're interested in.

Let me explain further for people who are struggling to grasp how a DEQ works. Say we have a peak at 300Hz that we want to control, there are basically 4 tools/approaches that will each have a slightly different result. Bear in mind none is superior to any other per se.

1. EQ. We can simply cut at 300Hz. That will mean there is a reduction at 300Hz regardless of what the signal is doing.

2. Linking the EQ to a modifier, as suggested by several people above, will cut the signal but only when the entire signal exceeds a given threshold. So even when there is very little content at 300Hz it will still be cut, but not when the signal is low.

3. We can use a Multiband compressor, so that only when a signal within a band around 300Hz exceeds a given threshold will it be cut.

4. If we had a Dynamic EQ, like a MBC, we'd be able to cut only when 300Hz exceeds a threshold, but unlike a MBC we'd be able to determine the Q, we could deal with multiple overlapping frequencies not just 3 bands, and we could boost as well as cut.

Last edited:
Thank you @Corinthian, great explanation. This conversation was going in circles without a common understanding of how a dynamic EQ actually works. It's common in the studio, way less so in guitar modeling.

+1 for @Corinthian's explanation, and for including his idea. This would be very, very good. I can think of several applications.

There is another idea which might be named "Dynamic EQ" (but which I imagined he was originally proposing, but now that we understand what he means by "Dynamic EQ" we should probably call the other idea something else).

This second idea is something that can be achieved already, but with great difficulty; namely, a 5+ band EQ which defines two separate EQ shapes, and morphs smoothly between them in response to a single modifier.

To explain this option, consider two example EQ curves that could be set in the same EQ:

Shape #1:
Code:
#   #   #
## ### ##
#########

Shape #2:
Code:
  #   #
 ### ###
#########

Now, if you wanted to have Shape #1 apply when playing lower notes on the fretboard, but you wanted Shape #2 to apply when playing higher notes, you'd have to use a Pitch-Following modifier. But since this EQ has many bands, you'd have to apply that Pitch-Follower to each band (sometimes with high values for low pitches and low values for high pitches; sometime the opposite). You'd use up a lot of modifiers. It's a hassle.

So the idea here would be to simplify this process with an EQ that allows you to define the "Endpoint Shapes" and then assigning the modifier only once. Much easier!

I don't mean this to be a substitute for @Corinthian's idea, which is both different and probably more important. (And I don't wish the two confused!)

But while we were on the topic, I thought I'd bring it up, since a dynamic transformation of the EQ curve can be very expressive. (Nobody who's ever used a Wah or Auto-Wah could deny that; but I'm proposing something more detailed, bands-wise.)

That was discussed twice above. It's not the same because the ADSR modifier is affected by the entire signal, not just the frequency range we're interested in.

Let me explain further for people who are struggling to grasp how a DEQ works. Say we have a peak at 300Hz that we want to control, there are basically 4 tools/approaches that will each have a slightly different result. Bear in mind none is superior to any other per se.

1. EQ. We can simply cut at 300Hz. That will mean there is a reduction at 300Hz regardless of what the signal is doing.

2. Linking the EQ to a modifier, as suggested by several people above, will cut the signal but only when the entire signal exceeds a given threshold. So even when there is very little content at 300Hz it will still be cut, but not when the signal is low.

3. We can use a Multiband compressor, so that only when a signal within a band around 300Hz exceeds a given threshold will it be cut.

4. If we had a Dynamic EQ, like a MBC, we'd be able to cut only when 300Hz exceeds a threshold, but unlike a MBC we'd be able to determine the Q, we could deal with multiple overlapping frequencies not just 3 bands, and we could boost as well as cut.
OK, let's suppose as in your example 300 Hz is your resonant frequency that you want to control.

It stands to reason that as the amplitude of the whole waveform increases, so will the resonance at 300 Hz. So if you set your envelope follower modifier up to kick in and scale in proportion to that resonant frequency being a problem and the range of cut to be in proportion as the frequency is a problem in proportion to the entire waveform, you can still get the same net effect.

You can already dial in the Q if you select the variable Q type EQ in the graphic eq block pre or post amp block.

With the parametric eq, you can also attach an envelope follower to the actual Q too. If you really want to fine tune it, you can select a second frequency modifier on the attribute to fine tune the response if the resonance problem is also frequency dependent as well as amplitude dependent (e.g. some instruments have certain wolf notes that only becomes evident with certain pieces of music that require you play that note in that neck position).

Sometimes there's ways to get the same sonic net effect without a block type being labelled as such.

Did you experiment with this to see if it will do what you want?

In case this wish doesn't get implemented, at least you have a similar workable solution.

OK, let's suppose as in your example 300 Hz is your resonant frequency that you want to control.

It stands to reason that as the amplitude of the whole waveform increases, so will the resonance at 300 Hz. So if you set your envelope follower modifier up to kick in and scale in proportion to that resonant frequency being a problem and the range of cut to be in proportion as the frequency is a problem in proportion to the entire waveform, you can still get the same net effect.

In that example yes, you're absolutely right. But the 300Hz was just a simple example and controlling a resonance is not its only use. I listed some uses on the first page of this thread, but some others might be to boost the high frequencies but bring the boost back down for higher notes so it's not too bright; control not only a problem frequency but also its overtones; using MBC as people are recently discovering, but with more precise control over the frequencies you're playing with. Also note that there are attack and release controls on a DEQ that you don't have with ADCR/envelope modifiers.

Did you experiment with this to see if it will do what you want?

In case this wish doesn't get implemented, at least you have a similar workable solution.

For sure, there are workarounds and I appreciate the suggestions from you and others. The difference is like the difference between tying an ADSR modifier to a volume block vs. using an actual compressor. Broadly speaking it's doing the same thing but the results isn't really the same.

To be clear I don't think its absence is an omission, clearly it shouldn't be near the top of the priority list for Fractal, and I can get by without one. Simply that it can be a handy tool or one that opens up some creative possibilities, and all of the components are already there (i.e. we have a PEQ block, there is code for Attack, Release and Threshold within the compressor) so creating it should be comparatively simple.

I wish axefx had an anti feedback notch filter for acoustic guitar/cellos/etc mic'ed on stage... if dynamic eq were implemented, it could be used as AFBK... set the resonance freq... small Q... adjust threshold... all done!

I wish axefx had an anti feedback notch filter for acoustic guitar/cellos/etc mic'ed on stage... if dynamic eq were implemented, it could be used as AFBK... set the resonance freq... small Q... adjust threshold... all done!
You can do that with the Filter block. Assign its frequency, gain and Q to separate knobs on the Performance page.

Reactions: yek
You can do that with the Filter block. Assign its frequency, gain and Q to separate knobs on the Performance page.
How do we (axefx...) knows a peak is occouring? Can we duplicate the filter and assign the output to an evelope follower or adsr, then controll the gain of the first filter with enveloped out?

How do we (axefx...) knows a peak is occouring? Can we duplicate the filter and assign the output to an evelope follower or adsr, then controll the gain of the first filter with enveloped out?
You could do that. But the reason an acoustic guitar feeds back is because there’s too much response at a certain frequency. Better to discover that frequency and tame it before downbeat. Ring out your acoustic at the gig, before the show starts. You can do that by hand with the Filter controls you’ve placed in the Performance screen.

Better to discover that frequency and tame it before downbeat. Ring out your acoustic at the gig, before the show starts. You can do that by hand with the Filter controls you’ve placed in the Performance screen.
This is what I do now. But I wish to filter the peak out only when peak occours. So I want a controlled that is dependand not in the pitch, not in the envelope or any other whole signal. I wish the contoller to act only in the band peak is occuring. That is a dynamic eq. Or a multiband compressor with very high Q/slope. Or a filter whose controller input could be filtered. Dynamic eq is the simpler way to achieve an active notch filter. Hence I support the request. ;)

This is what I do now. But I wish to filter the peak out only when peak occours. So I want a controlled that is dependand not in the pitch, not in the envelope or any other whole signal. I wish the contoller to act only in the band peak is occuring. That is a dynamic eq. Or a multiband compressor with very high Q/slope. Or a filter whose controller input could be filtered. Dynamic eq is the simpler way to achieve an active notch filter. Hence I support the request. ;)
I too support the request. But my take on acoustic-guitar feedback is different.

With acoustic guitar, feedback occurs at frequencies where the system has excessively strong response. This excessive response is present whether or not it goes into audible feedback, and it alters the tone of the guitar. I want to diminish the response at those frequencies long before I get feedback, so my guitar sounds more natural.

A dynamic EQ could be a nice addition to that, but I want those notches to be there at all signal levels.

Also, the filters in a multiband compressor cause phase rotation that is always present - A dynamic EQ only cause phase rotation, when it is actually working.

And +1 for the dynamic EQ wish - A single band would be enough for me.

+1

It's a long shot but might as well put it out there.

I'd love to have a dynamic EQ, either as a block on its own or as one of the EQ types in the PEQ. I know we can get some of the way there with the multicomp but a genuine dynamic EQ would be so much more powerful.

Back
Top Bottom