Dynamic Channel Select via New FC Switch Category

MikeD

Inspired
My wish list item is a method to further tap into the channel selection of the block using the AxeFx III and a FC controller (6 or 12). It involves creating a new FC Switch Category (Channel) and the subsequent actions when it is activated. Here are some of my thoughts on how to implement my wish:
  • A new FC Switch Category: Channel
    The only function it can have is to have a single block assigned to it (i.e. Drv1, Dly1, Rev1,…).
    The mini display would display like Ch_Dly1 (Ch_ for Channel function & the attached block)

• Function
    When a switch, that is assigned to the new Channel function is pressed, the actions executed are:
    - the first 5 buttons on the FC controller are commandeered as follows:
    SW 1 to 4 display the four channels ‘Type’ that is assigned in the block, SW 5 is a Cancel/Return function
    Pressing SW 1 to 4 would select that block’s channel and return FC to pre commandeered state. Cancel just returns FC to pre commandeered state.
I have no idea if this is possible or feasible… just a thought. I think about having this type of new switch populate the Channels layout on an FC. It would remedy relying on your memory (mine seems to be degrading) of what is in each channel of a block and make changes on the fly without a hard definition or using up a scene.

Last edited:
So if I understand the wish correctly, you want essentially a system where you could "open a menu" on the FC:
  1. You hit Drive1 switch,
  2. Switches for Channel A/B/C/D/Return appear
  3. You choose one or return, and the menu closes
Currently we can create that using he Views and Layouts, but there's no means of making it generic to different pedals that are passed to the view. What I mean is you could set a layout and View to be Channel A/B/C/D/Return for Drive 1, but you'd have to use a different layout to do the same with Amp1

But if you could make a layout generic to a value which is passed to it, you could have one layout which affects whichever block you pass to it. But this is a bit like adding pointers to the system, it adds a lot of additional ways to confuse people.

Hi @IronSean,

Thanks for your feedback. You are correct in that what I am describing is like adding a popup menu. Its not so much pointers, more like a single level temporary sub-menu. I was looking for a way to enhance using channels via the FC. I'm finding the current system a little restrictive and memory (my memory) intense. I usually get a fair number of 'surprises / requests' during a gig and something like this would help me to be more flexible at a moments notice.

I don't think it would be confusing as doesn't change anything that already exists... you use the new switch option or not. When assigning a Switch Category it would be a pick: Bank, Preset, Utility... or Channel. If you don't select it nothing changes.

I was thinking it would be great to interrogate a block and see what is populated in it's channels (with one switch click) and display these in real time, by the FC mini displays and also have the ability to select one of those channels

You would be able to control a lot more blocks and access all the channels of those blocks using the switches (and mini labels) of the FC.

Anyone who reads this: I would really like to hear more feedback on this idea so please feel free to comment. I would be interested if anyone else would make use of a feature like this... or am I just out in left field...

Last edited:
I think what you're requesting is what gotmetalboy setup on the liquid foot pedal. Check out his latest thread on the LF. Yes, I know you're wanting this functionality on the FC, but I'm wondering if what you're requesting is that same thing he's doing.

Back
Top Bottom