Dyna-cab on FM3?

Just saw on TGF that they were working on a desktop solution too.

So for the fm3 maybe just the possibility to tweak the dynacabs in « dyna-edit » or something like that and export the results to a syx file and import them on the fm3

Just wondering: maybe that huge CPU usage might be linked to the 4 dyna-cab module, isn't it? If so, I'm ready to accept to use a single Dyna-Cab for our FM3 :D
I ran some checks on the FX3 with the new firmware, bouncing between the Cab block's Type settings, and, with one slot or three slots used, Dyna-Cab used ~3% compared to the Legacy setting.

I don't think 3% means huge. The FM9 uses its DSP differently and it's surprising how much it can do. The FM3 doesn't use its CPU the same, the Cab runs in an FIR accelerator:

"The Cabinet block uses an FIR accelerator to do the IR processing. This FIR accelerator offloads processing from the CPU and, as such, doesn't reflect in CPU usage." [34]

I dunno if the FIR accelerator would see a 3% increase, or 12% with Dyna-Cab because the FX3 is ~4x faster. Things get muddy when dealing with differences in CPUs with different architecture and usages.

So for the fm3 maybe just the possibility to tweak the dynacabs in « dyna-edit » or something like that and export the results to a syx file and import them on the fm3

Interesting thought! Assuming this would be through "Cab-Lab 4", or whatever they decide to call it. I guess the downside of this solution is we are giving up the ability to fine tune sounds before or during a live moment. We have never had that option, so the export / import syx files is better than nothing.

Interesting thought! Assuming this would be through "Cab-Lab 4", or whatever they decide to call it. I guess the downside of this solution is we are giving up the ability to fine tune sounds before or during a live moment. We have never had that option, so the export / import syx files is better than nothing.
I don’t think of new cab lab, but just an app like fm3 edit that is tied to the hardware. Maybe even a add on like the Bot.
You use dyna-edit and you can « export to user cab number XX »
This way they are sure the dynacabs are fractal users only.

Not realistic to expect all the bells and whistles with the bottom unit. Next year I’ll be moving up to the FM9 but really enjoying what I’m getting out of the little guy. Waiting to hear more feedback on how much better this is. In the end, it’s still just IR’s. Or am I wrong?
That's a fair observation. I have both an AxeFX III and FM3. I love the FM3 as a small form-factor device. It's ideal for random fly dates or grab-and-go local shows. Nothing beats the flexibility and power of the AxeFX III, but the easy portability of the FM3 is makes it a great "alt" rig.

I don’t think of new cab lab, but just an app like fm3 edit that is tied to the hardware. Maybe even a add on like the Bot.
You use dyna-edit and you can « export to user cab number XX »
Cliff said it's already in the works.

This way they are sure the dynacabs are fractal users only.
The file format is going to ensure that until someone cracks what Fractal is doing. It's not the usual IR format.

That's a fair observation. I have both an AxeFX III and FM3. I love the FM3 as a small form-factor device. It's ideal for random fly dates or grab-and-go local shows. Nothing beats the flexibility and power of the AxeFX III, but the easy portability of the FM3 is makes it a great "alt" rig.
And, the important stuff is available on the FM3. I've been impressed with things they've managed to get running.

Not realistic to expect all the bells and whistles with the bottom unit. Next year I’ll be moving up to the FM9 but really enjoying what I’m getting out of the little guy. Waiting to hear more feedback on how much better this is. In the end, it’s still just IR’s. Or am I wrong?
Under the hood you’re right, ‘it’s still just IRs’ - but it’s much more than that in practice. Forget the fancy graphics,just the sound is incredible -the top end is crisp and clear. I’ve spent the night comparing and all mr IRs sound like they have a blanket over them Now.

Plus it’s so much quicker to get the right cab selected now, that in itself is an absolute game changer.

Put those two together…..

Under the hood you’re right, ‘it’s still just IRs’ - but it’s much more than that in practice. Forget the fancy graphics,just the sound is incredible -the top end is crisp and clear. I’ve spent the night comparing and all mr IRs sound like they have a blanket over them Now.

Plus it’s so much quicker to get the right cab selected now, that in itself is an absolute game changer.

Put those two together…..
Great.
Could you record something comparing legacy and dynacabs ?

I agree, the new cab thing looks amazing but I doubt it’s a huge improvement over my favorite York ir’s sonically. It looks to be just easier to fine tune what you want.

I agree. It's not a deal lbreaker if it's not implemented (i have felling it will, but not at full capacity).

I saw a youtube video of someone using the new cabs, and there's a signficant increase in CPU usage on the Axe III( that will probably be much higher on the FM3). And It is quite noticeable when the second Cab is engaged.

Maybe using just one cab will be manageable on the FM3, but definitely this won´t be a feauture that will save CPU usage.

Ps: Im on a minority here i belive, but i I have to say im pretty happy with even the stocks IR's.

I agree, the new cab thing looks amazing but I doubt it’s a huge improvement over my favorite York ir’s sonically. It looks to be just easier to fine tune what you want.
I don't know how much "better" the new cabs can sound. What makes a huge difference for me is the workflow. To be honest, I'm still thinking about implementing back a Two Notes Cab m+ in my rig. The opportunity to tweak the mic positions with a iPad via BT is extremely handful. Imho more than being tied to a single IR for the whole show.

I don't know how much "better" the new cabs can sound. What makes a huge difference for me is the workflow. To be honest, I'm still thinking about implementing back a Two Notes Cab m+ in my rig. The opportunity to tweak the mic positions with a iPad via BT is extremely handful. Imho more than being tied to a single IR for the whole show.
before going full digital, I used to play tube amps and torpedo live, and I always preferred the mic position tweaking vs Irs.

I've always hated to browse 10K Irs to finally just forget which one sounded right at the moment

I can totally see why they would be awesome but I’m pretty simple with my cabs. I always love one of the first mixes on the York stuff. What I loved for the Helix version is that the cpu usage went down so I can fit more in my stomp. Sound wise it isn’t any better than my ir’s.

I saw a youtube video of someone using the new cabs, and there's a signficant increase in CPU usage on the Axe III( that will probably be much higher on the FM3). And It is quite noticeable when the second Cab is engaged.
I checked the CPU % difference between the “Legacy” and “Dyna-Cab” types in the FX3 Cab block, and it’s 3% whether there’s 1 or 3 slots in use. If two cab blocks are running it should only be 6%. I don’t consider that “significant”.

Whether that will scale linearly on the FM9 is unknown but it has a DSP allocated to the Cab blocks. The FM3 runs the Cab block in an FIR accelerator when the CPU % isn’t available, so it might see 3%, or it might be something higher, Fractal will eventually tell us.

Back
Top Bottom