Dweezil's Broken SG----saved

Gibson's infamous guitar neck method + airline travel = not a very good combination for transporting Gibson guitars. Gibson should really stop building necks out of a single piece, as it turns their headstocks into notorious weak spots. From what I hear many a luthier was able to put their kids through college from repairing those broken headstocks.

As for airlines, I'm sure someone can dig up that United broke my guitar vid on youtube.

They are just never quite the same after repair. I had a Gibson explorer go over in a bad lighting cable experience. All the kings horses, and all the kings men couldn't make humpty sound the same again.

Great story and video...I thought it was pretty cool he was testing out the SG with a little Fender G-DEC amp; I have the same one which I play through a lot. He has a couple of jam loops (a couple of presets too I think) included in the amp. It's a nice little amp to keep beside the couch to learn songs on (laptop USB audio out -> GDEC -> headphones) and jam with YouTube tracks.

Good to see the SG in one piece again...

They are just never quite the same after repair. I had a Gibson explorer go over in a bad lighting cable experience. All the kings horses, and all the kings men couldn't make humpty sound the same again.
That's not the norm. If a guitar is repairable, the repair can usually be done without altering the sound. I know Joe said that anything is repairable, but he says the repair took him at least 10 hours a day for five days. That's 50+ hours. At a typical shop rate of $60-$100 an hour, that repair cost somebody thousands of dollars, and that equals "non-repairable" to most people. :)

I'm guessing that Dweez got comped for the the repair, but Sweetwater got some very good pub for their luthier shop in that vid.. Also , to be clear , the offended guitar was one of the 2013 FZ Roxy reissues,
NOT Franks original modded SG that Dweezil had in his possession when he collaborated with Gibson...but it was his #1 touring axe ...and still is I think. I've been to Sweetwater in FT Wayne, and it is an awesome facility.....

I can't help but wonder how much the repair bill was? Didn't Joe Albright state that he spend 5 x 10 hr days fixing it? Bench cost per hr x 50?

Here is dweezils guitar...plus two more Roxy Guitars and several(including mine) AXFXs on stage at once...on my bucket list night exactly two years ago when I Co -promoted a Zappa plays Zappa show in Waukegan Il...and got to sing Cozmik Debris bckround vocals and traipse around on stage......while buddy Joe Guzzo dueled solos on his foxy and my AXE..!!!!...
Hmmm trying to post link to Facebook post proving this brag ...having a bit of trouble....

Back
Top Bottom