Dweezilla

javajunkie

Long flight. Horrible traffic getting out of NYC. So far awesome. Listening to Zappa plays Zappa. They finished an awesome 30 minute improv. Outstanding.Internet access is spotty. Took some pics and video. Will have to wait until I get back to upload

Hey Everyone, I just got back from the opening night at the Full Moon. I live 15 miles from there and I'll be attending some of the workshops, especially the Fractal Audio one, anyways, the show was awesome. This is my first exposure to Zappa plays Zappa music. I remember listening to Frank Zappa in the old days and I have to say Dweezil does a fantastic job of replicating his dad's music! Dweezil was still playing thru two Ultras and the 4 Atomic enclosures, sounded great. Makes me think I should keep mine instead of selling it and getting the Axe-Fx II. Well got get some sleep Good Night!

I have seen ZpZ a few times. Always great. Will be seeing them next month with Return to Forever. Should be a great show.

I'm sure DZ has a lot of time invested in his patches for the Ultra so I'm not surprised that he is not using the II yet. I'm curious to know if he has the II and whether he plans to switch at some point.

Have fun at Dweezilla. I thought about going, but it didn't fit the schedule.

The consort was great. The played lots of new songs. More fun than serious. Everyone of the band are top notch. The slide whistle solo was the highlight of the night;)

Last edited:
Going to advanced theory class by schelia Gonzalez and Jamie mime. It should be fun. Matt should be here with the axe II today

This is my first exposure to Zappa plays Zappa music.
I caught Dweezil's show in Asheville back in July of 2009 with Dream Theater headlining. Don't know if he was using the Axe back then, but the sound was almost CD quality - incredibly talented band. Dweezil had some serious chops on his Dad's material - much better than some of his stuff from his younger days. After Dweezil, Dream Theater was such a disappointment - twice as loud and twice as intelligible...

Going to advanced theory class by schelia Gonzalez and Jamie mime. It should be fun. Matt should be here with the axe II today

Jamie Mime or Jamie Kime? I thought it was with a "K." I've seen Jamie play as part of the Monday Night Jamz out in Studio City (California) at The Baked Potato with the guy I took lessons from John Ziegler. And I've also see Jamie with Pete Griffin's band Gryphon Labs. If I remember right Pete, Jamie and their drummer (can't remember his name right now) did several ZpZ shows. If it is the same Jamie he's a monster player.

I caught Dweezil's show in Asheville back in July of 2009 with Dream Theater headlining. Don't know if he was using the Axe back then, but the sound was almost CD quality - incredibly talented band. Dweezil had some serious chops on his Dad's material - much better than some of his stuff from his younger days. After Dweezil, Dream Theater was such a disappointment - twice as loud and twice as intelligible...

I saw ZpZ with Dream Theater in Chicago that year. Both put on a great show, but ZpZ was AMAZING. Dweezil was, indeed, using a pair of Axe-Fx Ultras then.

Sean, let us know how that advanced theory class was.

I saw ZpZ before Dweezil even knew what a guitar was! :)

Looking forward to all the updates Sean!!!!

Consider me JEALOUS!!!

That was his first US tour with the ultras. He has dramatically improved it since then. Last night Matt Picone got in and an axefx demonstration. Dweezil got to play an axefx II for the first time. He was absolutely blown away. I spoke with dweezil yesterday. He said he was going to show me a few of the sweep picking stuff he does. The fractal demonstration went over really well. There will be quite a few more converts. I got to meet a few more forumites last night. Buddy Gill is a really nice guy and extremely helpful. We helped Matt out with the demonstration a bit and got to talk one on one with a lot of people who are interested. I also met big guy Steve. I'm not sure what his alias is. He filmed a bunch of stuff. Nice guy as well. Then there was Terri (sp?) from Europe. He filmed the demonstration. Matt got the video and will likely be posting dweezils eyes getting big after playing it for the first time.

Jamie Mime or Jamie Kime? I thought it was with a "K." I've seen Jamie play as part of the Monday Night Jamz out in Studio City (California) at The Baked Potato with the guy I took lessons from John Ziegler. And I've also see Jamie with Pete Griffin's band Gryphon Labs. If I remember right Pete, Jamie and their drummer (can't remember his name right now) did several ZpZ shows. If it is the same Jamie he's a monster player.
Kime. The iPad decided to spell check that :)he is a great teacher. He communicates very well and is a great improvisor. He really knows his craft and how to take theory knowledge and apply it while never forgetting that emotion and feel are what drives everything.The first advanced theory class was a bit basic. They talked about modes and how they apply to diatonic harmony. One really cool thing about the class is they demonstrated how they listen to each other for improvising and play off the note choices, chord extensions and rhythms the other members are playing. Really amazing how tuned in their ears are.Theory part 2 is tomorrow. That should get more in depth with applied theory.

I saw ZpZ with Dream Theater in Chicago that year. Both put on a great show, but ZpZ was AMAZING. Dweezil was, indeed, using a pair of Axe-Fx Ultras then.Sean, let us know how that advanced theory class was.
Done see post above :)the one thing that dweezil has done since you saw him was add atomics on stage. This helps with feedback but is mainly for getting some stage volume for those up close. The pa system sound actually flies over their heads. It also helps to fill in the center of the sound field.

Greetz from Dweezilla. Gorgeous setting. Great people. Well, Dweezil _flipped_ for the Axe Fx II! I demoed it for about 100 people last night (with gracious assistance from our own Javajunkie and Austinbuddy). At one point DZ said something like, "as good as my rig sounds, this is that much better and I will definitely be replacing my Ultras!" His instantaneous reaction was that the amp sounds were more "richly detailed" and responded and filled out the soundstage in a way he'd previously had to tweak or add pedals to achieve. He quickly gravitated to the Cameron Medium Gain amp, which someone in the audience asked to hear. New effect tones were also a huge hit. We matched a pedal controlled phaser clean tone, and a Dynaflanger lead. Also had the pleasure of meeting some true fans of Fractal-- many of whom bought AxeFx rigs after meeting me here last year! MFC 101 also made its first Dweezilla appearance, and was received very well. Looking forward to more small group sessions today. I'll try to post some pics today to the Fractal Facebook page but Internet is spotty here. Had a great late night with the ZPZ band...now off to breakfast with Thomas Nordegg.

Back
Top Bottom