Dweezil plays Zappa

PaulS

Saw Dweezil last night as the opening act for Chick Corea's RTF. Looked like he had 2 Ultras and 4 Atomic cabs. Didn't seem to be using a lot of different patches, but great sound, great player. Unfortunately the sound guys had the kick drum so loud it was hard too hear much else. took the until the last 15 min of RTF to sort that out.

I'll see them next week opening for RTF. Love ZpZ, but was not overly thrilled with the setlist I saw for a show they did last week. A little too much of the juvenile humor material for me. But that was a solo gig and not opening for RTF so hopefully they will focus more on the fusion/compositional material from Frank's catalog instead of the low-brow humor. Just my 2c....

Just saw them in Columbia MD - ZpZ and RTF. ZpZ did focus quite a bit on the instrumental stuff, maybe only 3 or 4 songs with lyrics. Saw the Ultras, and the Atomics.Drum sound was good for Zappa, not quite as good for RTF. From what I could see of the Ultras, I thought he was running them light on the inputs...didn't seem to ever get hot enough....sax player and xylophone player were awesome! Stanley Clarke stole the show for RTF...

I have never seen Stanley Clark of Jean Luc-Ponty so I'm really looking forward to the show.

Did JLP come out and play a song with ZpZ? Considering he was in Frank's band I'm assuming he will (or at least hoping so).

No mixing of band members at all, although Jean- luc mentioned he had played with Zappa before...I was hoping

No mixing of band members at all, although Jean- luc mentioned he had played with Zappa before...I was hoping

Maybe as the tour goes on, Last time I saw Jean-Luc was with the Mothers back in 73 (same band from the Overnite Sensation album). While ZPZ is good. I'm not sure
they have the jazz chops for some of the old tunes.

Just saw them in Columbia MD - ZpZ and RTF. ZpZ did focus quite a bit on the instrumental stuff, maybe only 3 or 4 songs with lyrics. Saw the Ultras, and the Atomics.Drum sound was good for Zappa, not quite as good for RTF. From what I could see of the Ultras, I thought he was running them light on the inputs...didn't seem to ever get hot enough....sax player and xylophone player were awesome! Stanley Clarke stole the show for RTF...

You're right about Stanley Clarke, I think that's the first time I've seen anybody sit down to play an upright. The guy is so tall he makes it look like a cello.

Maybe as the tour goes on, Last time I saw Jean-Luc was with the Mothers back in 73 (same band from the Overnite Sensation album). While ZPZ is good. I'm not sure
they have the jazz chops for some of the old tunes.

Yes, they do have the chops. I spent a week with them. They have jazz chops a plenty.

Reactions: npx
Back
Top Bottom